DABWAHA Voting Continues with News of a Second Chance Pool

sidebarlogoWe’ve still got voting going on in the DABWAHA Tournament. Round 1 has been put to bed. After fierce twitter pimpage, Angela James has manuevered herself to the top of the charts with two others hot on her heels. As top bracketeers at the end of round 1, Ms. James is entitled to the $15 Gift Certifiate and some BIG UPs.   Next voting round begins at noon EST.

Voting Schedule:

• Round 2, Set 1: 12 Noon EST to 6 PM EST, March 21, 2009 (today)
  • Round 2, Set 2: 6 PM EST to 12 AM EST, March 22, 2009
  • Round 3, Set 3: 6 AM EST, March 22, 2009 to 12 Noon EST, March 22, 2009
  • Round 4, Set 4: 12 Noon EST, March 22, 2009 to 6 PM EST, March 22, 2009

What is DABWAHA? It’s the Dear Author Bitchery Writing Award for Hellagood Authors or DA BWAHA. For newcomers, this is a tournament of books that mimics the March Madness tournament of basketball. We’ve picked a slate of 64 books in 8 different categories to compete against each other through the next few weeks. Right now we are in the voting stage.

After the first round, you may be a very sad Panda (tm Candy) because you’ve picked your brackets so horribly. Or perhaps you missed the original cutoff date. Whatever the reason, after Round 2 ends, we are opening up the SECOND CHANCE POOL. Yes, this is for anyone whose bracket has been cursed at, trounced on, or ripped apart (in cyberspace of course) because of the poor original picks.

From Sunday night through Wednesday night, the SECOND CHANCE POOL will be open. More instructions on that to come. we’ve not yet picked a prize either but it’s not about prizes, right?

Right now, though, you’ve got to keep voting. Garner enough votes for your bracket pics and you might overtake the leaders.

Special thanks to our sponsors. Give them a little clicky love.

1. Jia
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 08:25:32

And look at that, I’ve somehow climbed from 480 to 453, anvil and all. LOL

2. joanne
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 09:12:27

I just don’t know how I can go so wrong so often but I managed it again this year.

Congrats to Angela and any and all still in the running for Big Red!

3. LindaR (likari)
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 09:23:32

gah! I’m down in the 600s. Must watch and learn from the masters.

You know it’s a great tourney when it’s even fun to be a loser, ha.

4. Shannon Stacey
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 09:38:12

I’d like to take a moment to remind everybody of Dear Authors’ and the Smart Bitches’ devotion to saving the contemporary, which will, in turn, save the world.

As you know, they will be going forward with the next leg of this campaign in mere days, with Smooth-Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas chosen as the next bright torch to light our way to global salvation.

Could there be any greater way to spread the word of this momentous event than by Blue-Eyed Devil winning the reknowned DABWAHA Award?

I think not.

So remember as you cast your votes in the upcoming rounds that the survival of our very way of life rests on your shoulders. Can we save the contemporary and save the world?

Yes we can.

Cast your vote for Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas.

5. Angela James
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 09:58:13

Wheee! I don’t really expect this to last, but just in case it does, those of you not on Twitter should know that I’ve promised to choreograph, record and upload a goofy victory dance if I win the whole shebang.

You can follow my bracket and vote for my picks if you want to see my publicly humiliated with the dance:

6. Shannon Stacey
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:17:57

Ha! Angie isn’t moderated! A conspiracy!

7. librarygirl
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:19:34

What happened to the Round 2 Polls? Why is Silent In the Sanctuary up against The Sugar Queen (Poll 3, at top) and Iron Kissed (Poll 2, at bottom)? I think Poll 3 should be The Sharing Knife instead of Silent, right? Or I am really, really confused.

Also, there seems to be a remnant from Round 1 hanging about…

8. Phyllis
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:20:43

the match ups i just saw are not right! silent in the sanctuary, while a great book, is not in the brackets twice. bujold disappeared and then i got an already completed round 1 on my screen.

9. Angela James
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:31:27

I’ve been in email contact with Jane and she’s trying to fix it from her iPhone.

10. Jia
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:36:10

@Shannon Stacey: Fished it out!

11. Angela James
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:40:54

It’s fixed thanks to Sarah!

12. librarygirl
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:44:28

Is there any way for those of us who voted for the wrong match-ups to get to vote now that the contenders have been matched correctly?

Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:47:00

I cleared out the votes for the one poll that was wrong so you should be able to go back and revote

14. librarygirl
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 10:53:16

Nope. Shows current results with no ability to vote, except for Poll 4 which recently appeared. S’ okay, though. Looks like Sugar Queen is going to get trounced, so my vote won’t do it much good. Thanks for the quick fix.

15. SonomaLass
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 12:00:41

Yay for second chances! Those of us in the bottom of the standings salute you!!

I remember this point last year, when half of my sweet 16 picks had been eliminated, and I knew that statistically I had no chance to win. At that point my pick for eventual final four, two and champion had all been eliminated, IIRC, so I didn’t even have “a dog in the fight” as they say. It was so exciting to pick again and get back in the game.

I have only a glimmer of an idea how much work this must be for Jane and Sarah, but let me gush again (as I know I have elsewhere) how much I appreciate it. I know I speak for others when I say that I really looked forward to this tournament after the fun of last year’s, and I hope the tradition continues for a long time.

16. Kay Webb Harrison
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 12:54:38

I noticed that all times are “EST”. So . . . , I’m just wondering if EST is meant to be EST or if it is really EDT?

I really hate having Daylight Savings Time start so early in the year and end so late!

Kay

17. library addict
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 14:35:49

So how does the scoring work?

I see people with lower % of titles picked who have been knocked out of several brackets totally are placed higher than people with a higher % and knocked out of only one or two brackets.

Congrats to Angela :)

18. Jia
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 17:05:41

Holy crap, I’m suddenly at 251! (I don’t expect that to last long since I totally messed up the last two brackets.)

19. Kay Webb Harrison
    Mar 21, 2009 @ 17:43:43

Check the total number of points for those people. The number of points determines the ranking, not the percentage correct so far.
    Kay

Mar 21, 2009 @ 18:34:06

It’s a seed # x round # scoring. You get more points for picking a higher ranked seed correctly.