REVIEW: Ebook Weekly: Wings Epress, Inc
This week we’re reviewing Wings E-Press. I’ll just use their promo blurb:
WPI opened its cyber doors at www.wings-press.com , with offerings in General Fiction and all genres of Romantic fiction. Books will be available as downloads in popular ebook formats, along with quality trade paperback editions. In addition to publishing a catalog of excellent fiction, WPI plans to put into place an entire writer’s community where authors can work directly with editors while honing their craft, exchange ideas, share in promotional and educational opportunities and grow as professionals.
I think they’ve been in business for about 5 years. They sell ebooks and trade paperbacks ($6.00 for ebooks and $11-12.00 for most trade paperbacks). Their books are also sold through Fictionwise, Amazon, Cyberbooks, and Pats and Paws. They have a yahoo chat group, a newsletter (which offers monthly prizes), and a blog.
* * *
- Website layout – There are links to Showcased authors, Author Search, New Releases, Golden Wings (Senior Editor picks in each department), Information, Submissions, About Us, and Booksellers at the top of each page. There is also a link for authors only (author help section). A side menu shows the categories of books (Romance, General Fiction, Special Releases and Young Adult). Books can also be accessed alphabetically through the Bookstore link on the side. The Author Search link lists authors alphabetically. Each author’s books are listed (with excerpt link), the author’s webpage (with link) and sometimes an interview (with link) about individual books. Jane’s note: Wings uses frames and I really dislike that. Please think about changing that, Wings Epress. Frames is so 1990s.
- Book length – There aren’t any categories for book length. Trade paperback book lengths are listed under each individual title. I couldn’t find any file size for the ebooks.
- Information about each book – Clicking on a book title will take you to a page which shows the book cover (artist listed), whether it’s won a GoldenWings award, the author’s page (which might list email address, short author bio and one sentence book reviews), the ebook formats, excerpts, prices, ISBN ebook and paperback numbers, and a brief description of the story. I didn’t find any guidelines for sensuality, violence or language.
- Navigation – By author, genre or book name.
- Excerpts – one page
- Reviews – none by book purchasers
- Series – listed
- Wishlist – None
- Cart – Information will be remembered only during browsing, can be accessed at any time, and books will remain in the cart until removed.
- Bookshelf – None
- Payments – Online – Credit card, Via mail – check or money order. Print books can be shipped internationally. Once you’ve entered your billing information, there is a box you can click so that it will be remembered for future purchases. Taxes will need to be added as appropriate. Credit card information must be reentered for each purchase.
- Downloads – a download page will immediately appear with dl instructions. Note: The download page is available for 24 hours ONLY. Some files may simply open and will have to be saved to whatever location you choose. Be sure to back up your ebook immediately. A separate download email was sent with a link (I had to cut and paste this into my browser).
- Confirmation – A confirmation email was sent about 15 minutes after my purchase. There is no download link in that email.
- Account set up – Billing information can be saved for future purchases. Credit card information has to be reentered for each new purchase.
- Formats – HTML, Adobe, Microsoft Lit, Mobipocket (chosen when book is added to the cart) or trade paperback.
Irks – It’s hard to find the customer service email address (customer at wings-press dot com) or any contact information. These email addresses should be on the home page instead of buried in the “Information” section. In the cart, it’s mentioned that taxes must be added. I didn’t see a place to do this. I guess it depends on which state you live in and would appear if needed? The book I ordered for this review was listed at a sale price but when I added it to my cart, the regular price was charged. The download pages are available for 24 hours only! After that, you need to contact the vendor. There doesn’t appear to be any way to set up an account which will save all your information for future purchases.
Pluses – Wings appears to have a wide variety of genres including Young Adult.