Amber Quill Press started in 2002. They publish a diverse number of genres, both erotica and non-erotica, by a large number of authors. They sell both ebooks and trade sized paperbacks. AQP even has an ebook soap opera called Amber Circle. They sell to individuals, bookstores and libraries. There are currently 5 AQ newsletter/yahoo groups which readers can join. They do not sell books from other publishers.
Amber Quill Press accepts submissions by invitation only. They state they do not accept any kind of open submissions from authors or agents nor will they respond to query letters. They do have an annual Amber Heat Wave contest during which they will accept erotic romance manuscript submissions.
They have various sales of both ebooks and print books. Currently they are having a 40% off sale for selected trade paperbacks and 25% off for non erotic ebooks. Gift certificates and other extras are available and they offer one free download for every ten ebooks purchased. There is a help section which lists email address contacts and a FAQ section. There is a links page. They do not have links to download ebook reader software.
- Navigation: Genre, Author Name, Full Catalogue.
- Excerpts: Only very short, but the blurbs seems to be accurate
- Reviews: Short reviews from other review sites are posted. No reader reviews allowed. No ratings by previous posters.
- Word count/Length: No word count or estimated reading time provided.
- Wishlist: No wish list or place for you to store book titles you are thinking about buying
- Bookshelf: Allows for multiple downloads of past purchases. In order to access your bookshelf, you need a password which AQP provides (case sensitive). You can change your password but since you can’t change it unless you are already in that section of the website, it’s a good idea to either write it down, save the email to your pc so you can cut and paste it when needed or immediately go and switch it.
- Payment: Credit/debit card payments. No paypal. You have to re-enter your information each time you make a purchase.
- Download: Once you have purchased an ebook, you are immediately taken to another screen with information about purchases. Scroll to the bottom to click on the download link. If you purchase the HTML format, you will need to click on “File” then “save as” and indicate where you want your computer to save the book.
- Confirmation: You will also get an immediate email confirmation of your purchase and a separate email with your bookshelf password.
- Formats: HTML, PDF, Lit, RB, KML, and PRC.
- Irks: Whenever you click on a booktitle or an author name, a new browser window opens. Also, some of their titles can be pricey with non erotic books averaging $7 each without discounts.
Overall, I would grade this site a B-.
Note from Jane: Sometimes you can buy Amber Quill books at Fictionwise for less than they cost at the AmberQuill site.
Note from Jayne: Good point Jane. And I’ve bought some AQP titles at Fictionwise for that reason. Though right now with the 25% off offer, they’re cheaper at AQP.
Happy Shopping everyone!