Daily Deals: Wrinkle in Time Quintet, Inspie romance, YA, and female...

The Wrinkle in Time Quintet: Books 1-5 [NOOK Book] by Madeleine L'EngleThe Wrinkle in Time Quintet 1-5 by Madeleine L’Engle. $ 21.32

From the Jacket Copy:

Over fifty years ago, Madeleine L’Engle introduced the world to A Wrinkle in Time and the wonderful and unforgettable characters Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, and their friend Calvin O’Keefe. Now all their adventures are together in one volume. The Time Quintet consists of A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time.

A Wrinkle in Time—This Newberry Award winner is one of the most significant novels of our time. This fabulous, ground-breaking science-fiction and fantasy story is the first of five in the Time Quintet series about the Murry family.

A Wind in the Door—When Charles Wallace falls ill, Meg, Calvin, and their teacher, Mr. Jenkins, must travel inside C.W. to make him well, and save the universe from the evil Echthros.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet—The Murry and O’Keefe Families enlist the help of the unicorn, Gaudior, to save the world from imminent nuclear war.

Many Waters—Meg Murry, now in college, time travels with her twin brothers, Sandy and Dennys, to a desert oasis that is embroiled in war.

An Acceptable Time—While spending time with her grandparents, Alex and Kate Murry, Polly O’Keefe wanders into a time 3,000 years before her own.

Tot and I read the first one and I’m not entirely sure I want to continue forward. You could use the Kobo coupon for 50% off and get the set for around $15. hmmm.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryApple Google

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsForgive My Fins by Tera Lyn Childs. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but for Lily Sanderson, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily has a secret, and it’s not her huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid—she’s a Thalassinian princess. When she discovered three years ago that her mother was actually a human, Lily finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been going to Seaview High ever since. Living on land has its problems—like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor, Quince Fletcher—but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type—when they bond, it’s for life.

PW “Childs’s (Goddess Boot Camp) effervescent storytelling conveys the delicate tension of first love, and her characters are sympathetic and charming; Lily’s frequent aquatic exclamations (“Speak of the devilfish”) are indicative of the book’s brand of humor. This sweet mix of magic, romance, and teen drama will leave readers satisfied, even as they hope Quince and Lily’s story will continue.”

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll by Ann Wilson, Nancy WilsonKicking and Dreaming by Ann Wilson. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

In the enhanced e-book edition of Kicking and Dreaming you’ll find an exclusive new audio track, “Trash Bag Slippers (Trust Me)”, written and performed by Ann and Nancy Wilson, as well as 9 exclusive videos featuring intimate interviews with the sisters about growing up as the daughters of a Marine, Ann’s struggles with a speech impediment, the challenges of working together as sisters, the impact of MTV in the 80s and more.

Two sisters. Two voices. One Heart.

The mystery of “Magic Man.” The wicked riff of “Barracuda.” The sadness and beauty of “Alone.” The raw energy of “Crazy On You.” These songs, and so many more, are part of the fabric of American music. Heart, fronted by Ann and Nancy Wilson, has given fans everywhere classic, raw, and pure badass rock and roll for more than three decades. As the only sisters in rock who write their own music and play their own instruments, Ann and Nancy have always stood apart—certainly from their male counterparts but also from their female peers. By refusing to let themselves and their music be defined by their gender, and by never allowing their sexuality to overshadow their talent, the Wilson sisters have made their mark, and in the process paved the way for many of today’s female artists.

In Kicking and Dreaming, Ann and Nancy, with the help of critically acclaimed and bestselling music biographer Charles R. Cross, recount a journey that has taken them from a gypsy-like life as the children of a globe-trotting Marine to the frozen back roads of Vancouver, where they got their start as a band, to the pinnacle of success—and sometimes excess. In these pages, readers will learn the truth about the relationship that inspired “Magic Man” and “Crazy On You,” the turmoil of inter-band romances gone awry, the reality of life on the road as single women and then as mothers of small children, and the thrill of performing and in some cases partying with the likes of the Rolling Stones, Stevie Nicks, Van Halen, Def Leppard, and other rock legends. It has not always been an easy path. Ann struggled with and triumphed over a childhood stutter, body image, and alcoholism; Nancy suffered the pain and disappointment of fertility issues and a failed marriage but ultimately found love again and happiness as a mom.

Through it all, the sisters drew from the strength of a family bond that trumps everything else, as told in this intimate, honest, and uniquely female take on the rock and roll life.

Throughout their career, Ann and Nancy have never found an answer to the question they are most frequently asked: “What is it like to be a woman in rock and roll?” Kicking and Dreaming puts that question to bed, once and for all.

Please note that due to the large file size of these special features this enhanced e-book may take longer to download then a standard e-book.

I loved the line of the most favorable review “They wanted to BE the Beatles at a time when other girls wanted to MARRY the Beatles.” The negative reviews said that there wasn’t any new content; all of it had been revealed before.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

Darkness Before Dawn by Ace CollinsDarkness Before Dawn by Ace Collins. $ FreeOn the same night she discovers she is pregnant, twenty-eight-year-old nurse Meg Richards’ husband is killed in an auto accident caused by a drunken teen. James Thomas, the teen, comes from one of the most influential families in the community. He’s a star athlete and glamour boy at the local high school. Angered by her senseless loss, Meg blames God for what has happened and considers a decision that could change her life even further—until the D.A. intervenes. The results of the brutal trial enrage Meg, leading her down a frightening path of retribution. When the opportunity for revenge comes unexpectedly, will Meg follow through? Or will the remnants of her faith lead her in a different direction?.

From the Jacket Copy:

Richards’ husband is killed in an auto accident caused by a drunken teen. James

Inspirational romantic suspense.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

1. Susan
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 14:13:10

The Ace Collins (?) book is listed at $9.99 on Amazon.

I read the L’Engle books as a child so don’t remember them in any detail, but do recall being disappointed that I didn’t love the books that friends were crazy about. I just didn’t get it.

2. Andrea D
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 14:44:26

I’ve read all of the L’Engle books in that quintet some years ago, and I have mixed feelings about them. I really like A Swiftly Tilting Planet and have reread it numerous times (love Gaudior!). I admire more than like A Wrinkle in Time (I think parts of it scared me when I was younger). The others, I’m rather meh about. Also, I think that the description of Many Waters is off. I don’t recall Meg having a significant role, if any, in the book. It’s mainly about the twins in a weird Biblicalish adventure.

On the romance front, I did rather love Meg and Calvin.

3. nasanta
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:06:44

I really liked The Wrinkle in Time books when I was younger so I was interested in getting this bundle with the 50% Kobo promo code.

It is not eligible, and it is $32.99 on Kobo. :(

I’m not sure I want to pay the $22.59 Kindle price either (Lending not enabled and probably has DRM, right?) so I should probably just pull down my copies from the attic if I want to reread them.

I get what you are saying about your mixed feelings, Andrea. I feel the same way. By my recollection, the description for Many Waters does sound very off as I do not remember Meg having much of a part in it. I guess the publishers didn’t want to scare off anyone who did not want to read a “Biblicalish adventure”. I think I enjoyed her Austin Family books more than The Wrinkle of Time ones.

Susan, the Ace Collins book appears to be free only at B&N.com.

4. Jess
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:10:03

Meg definitely is not in Many Waters. It’s all about her brothers hanging out with Noah. I absolutely loved and continue to love L’Engle’s Time books. I didn’t appreciate the second one until I was much older so it might be okay to skip that one.

5. Mo
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:22:00

Loved “A Wrinkle in Time”. Could never get into the other 3 major books.

@Andrea: Yes, Meg and Calvin’s romance was and still is a large part of why I love this. I identified very strongly with Meg though, so that might be part of it and part of why I never could get into the others.

However, I did run across, buy, and read “An Acceptable Time” as an adult. I did like it a lot though I think that no Meg = not as interesting for me. Polly is both too much and not enough like her mother to really draw me in.

6. library addict
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:29:46

I remember loving A Wrinkle in Time and the series when I read it. But I haven’t reread it since I was a kid. I splurged on the hardcovers at Borders about 15 years ago so I don’t feel the need to get them in digital since I’m not sure I will ever reread them. The hardcovers are going to my niece when she is old enough.

7. Divya S
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 15:32:32

I liked the Wrinkle in Time series, but I completely adored the Vicky Austin books as a child. Meg and Calvin were always my favorite part of the books. :)

8. Virginia Kantra
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 17:04:45

Thanks so much for posting Kicking and Dreaming! Italian Guy is a huge Wilson fan, and now I get to look like a thoughtful spouse.

(Love L’Engle, though none of the books lives up to Wrinkle in Time for me. )

9. cleo
    Oct 12, 2013 @ 09:23:39

I read a lot of Madeleine L’Engle growing up – both the sf/f books and the YA. I remember liking A Wind in the Door more than A Wrinkle in Time, but I devoured almost all of them. I liked Meg for the same reasons I liked Jo March and Anne of Green Gables – she was an awkward, nerdy smart girl who somehow grew into a beautiful, successful and interesting adult. She gave me hope.

I somehow missed An Acceptable Time but remember loving A House Like a Lotus, which also stars a teenage Polly O’Keefe. I re-read it within the last few years and it didn’t completely hold up – it seemed a little preachy to me. The treatment of the two lesbian characters was probably ahead of the time it was written in, but seemed dated to me on re-read.

10. julie
    Oct 12, 2013 @ 11:42:53

I went to both the Amazon and B&N links and neither are showing an enhanced version of Kicking and Dreaming for 2.99….

11. KarenF
    Oct 12, 2013 @ 22:15:17

I read all of L’Engle’s books as a teen, and through college, and I still return to “A Swiftly Tilting Planet,” as one of my all time favorite books. I didn’t love the last two books in the series, though. But aSTP lives on my comfort-reads shelf.

12. julie
    Oct 13, 2013 @ 13:03:16

Jane, the Heart autobiography isn’t coming up as $2.99 at Barnes & Noble, it’s coming up as $14. I’m getting the impression from the way your article is presented, all those book sellers you list have this enhanced version for $2.99. None of the sellers had it for that price yesterday, Amazon does today, but it’s the only seller that does.

13. jane
    Oct 13, 2013 @ 13:11:31

@julie: Some of these deals are for the day only. I never really know.

14. julie
    Oct 13, 2013 @ 13:24:05

Hey Jane, thanks for responding to me. None of them were showing the low price yesterday. Today, for some reason, Amazon is. I know you guys do your best…I’m just disappointed…not one book seller on your list was showing the sale price *yesterday*, the day it was supposed to BE the sale price. I have a Nook, so Barnes & Noble is the book seller I need to go through. The listing of sale books every day is a big draw that gets me here to DA most days, if it’s not accurate I’ll be less likely to visit.

Oct 13, 2013 @ 13:34:57

@julie: All I can tell you is that I do the deals every morning.

16. julie
    Oct 13, 2013 @ 14:12:36

If, as you say, you “never really know”, maybe it would be better to make sure it’s an actual deal or don’t post it. I wasted time clicking on links all through the day yesterday, did the same this afternoon. I feel like the attitude is, “Oh, well, get over it”. My time is important, please be sure it’s an actual deal before you post these things.

Oct 13, 2013 @ 14:18:25

@julie: It’s a deal when I create the post. I don’t know how long it will last. I’m sorry that I can’t be more accurate than that. It is for sale at Amazon right now at 2.99. At the time that I created the post, it was a deal at more than one location – if I recall correctly it was BN and Amazon. Every deal I make sure that there is more than one retailer that has the deal. If it is not at Amazon and BN (which I consider the default) then I try to make note of it.

While I appreciate your comments, I don’t know what I can do to make these deals more helpful. I cannot do the deals at 2 pm when I post them because I am working my real job. I do them in the morning when I am having breakfast and before I go to work.

This was a post from Friday. If you checked yesterday and today, then it was likely a one day deal and simply not available on Sat and Sun. (Except at Amazon). I earn zero money from posting the deal links to any other site other than Amazon.

The fact is that I try to include multi-site deals as a courtesy to readers even though BN readers represent a fraction of the DA community and generate zero income in terms of affiliate revenue. So please understand that I do my utmost to provide deals that are a) at more than one retailer and b) that exist on the day that I post the deal.

18. Virginia kantra
    Oct 13, 2013 @ 16:53:39

Italian guy was able to buy Kicking and Dreaming for $2.99 at Amazon Friday night late – it was not visible through the mobile app on his iPhone or iPad but he could get the deal through the Amazon retail website on his computer. Not sure why it showed up on the desktop and not a mobile device but the deal was good. Hope that helps!