Daily Deals: Wherein I recommend you buy a book.

Escaping Reality (New Adult) (Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1)   Lisa Renee JonesEscaping Reality by Lisa Renee Jones. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

New Adult novel
Recommended for 17+ due to mature themes and sexual content
Book 1 of THE SECRET LIFE OF AMY BENSEN Series
ESCAPING REALITY
***
Infinite possibilities….
Infinite passion…..
Infinite danger….
His touch spirals through me, warm and sweet, wicked and hot. I shouldn’t trust him. I shouldn’t tell him my secrets. But how do I not when he is the reason I breathe? He is what I need.

At the young age of eighteen, tragedy and a dark secret force Lara to flee all she has known and loved to start a new life. Now years later, with a new identity as Amy, she’s finally dared to believe she is forgotten-even if she cannot forget. But just when she lets her guard down, the ghosts of her past are quick to punish her, forcing her back on the run.

On a plane, struggling to face the devastation of losing everything again and starting over, Amy meets Liam Stone, a darkly entrancing recluse billionaire, who is also a brilliant, and famous, prodigy architect. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it. And what he wants is Amy. Refusing to take “no” as an answer, he sweeps her into a passionate affair, pushing her to her erotic limits. He wants to possess her. He makes her want to be possessed. Liam demands everything from her, accepting nothing less. But what if she is too devastated by tragedy to know when he wants more than she should give? And what if there is more to Liam than meets the eyes?

KatiD just reviewed this for Dear Author. I’m not really sure it is a New Adult and it is a cliffhanger. But at this price, if you are curious, you can buy and tuck it away until the rest of the series comes out.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

2940148539346_p0_v1_s260x420Under the Sassafras by Hattie Mae. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Nestled between the Atchafalaya Basin and Sugar Island lies Bon Amie, a friendly, quiet town, where nothing exciting ever happens. Until Joelette Benoit’s two sons find a man washed up in the murky water at the edge of the swamp.

Joelette Benoit, a widowed single mother, has sworn to never believe the promises of another sweet talking man. Fiercely independent and determined, she’s hidden away her heart, while struggling to provide for her two sons and lively mother-in-law. She swears the stranger will stay one night, and one night only, until she discovers he has no memory. Now duty-bound to aid him, Joelette decides to offer him a place to heal in exchange for his labor.

Against the colorful backdrop of life on the bayou, she watches as he immerses himself not only in her family but also in her town. She can do little to prevent her sons from bonding with the only man they’ve come to trust since the death of their father. Though she, too, is drawn to his kindness and vulnerability, she will not risk the heart of her family because without a past, this man cannot promise a future. But when his memory returns and he realizes he has blood on his hands, he knows he has unfinished business to attend to before he can claim the family he has grown to love.

I saw this tweeted out on the internet. Hattie Mae is the mother of Robyn DeHart and Hattie just self published her first book. I have no idea if it is any good, I just thought it was kind of sweet. (And I haven’t read Robyn DeHart either)

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

The Crown of Embers by Rae CarsonThe Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

The second book in Rae Carson’s award-winning The Girl of Fire and Thorns fantasy trilogy, perfect for fans of Game of Thrones and Kristin Cashore. Tamora Pierce called the first book, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, “A unique and engrossing read!” A seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny.

In The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Elisa won the war. She saved her kingdom. But no one prepared her for how hard it is to recover from a battle, or to rule a people who still don’t trust her. She’s still fighting—against assassination attempts and more—and her enemies lie both outside her court and within it. So Elisa will cross the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone’s power. With her go a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume to Rae Carson’s ambitious trilogy. Cinda Williams Chima proclaimed about the first book, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, “I LOVED this book!” and Veronica Roth agreed, saying, “Definitely recommended.”

This is a superb three book series. The first book was on sale for quite a while and now you can pick up the second book for a song. I recommend this series. There is a ton of adventure, a great romance, and an inversion of some stereotypes. One of my favorite lines is when the female protagonist kisses her love interest to make him stop talking. It’s a classic hero move done by the hero of the story. Only this time, the hero’s a girl.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a better read for $1.99 but read the entire series. You won’t regret it.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Reamde: A Novel Neal StephensonReamde by Neal Stephenson. $ 2.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Neal Stephenson, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Anathem, returns to the terrain of his groundbreaking novels Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon to deliver a high-intensity, high-stakes, action-packed adventure thriller in which a tech entrepreneur gets caught in the very real crossfire of his own online war game.
In 1972, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa farming clan, fled to the mountains of British Columbia to avoid the draft. A skilled hunting guide, he eventually amassed a fortune by smuggling marijuana across the border between Canada and Idaho. As the years passed, Richard went straight and returned to the States after the U.S. government granted amnesty to draft dodgers. He parlayed his wealth into an empire and developed a remote resort in which he lives. He also created T’Rain, a multibillion-dollar, massively multiplayer online role-playing game with millions of fans around the world.

But T’Rain’s success has also made it a target. Hackers have struck gold by unleashing REAMDE, a virus that encrypts all of a player’s electronic files and holds them for ransom. They have also unwittingly triggered a deadly war beyond the boundaries of the game’s virtual universe—and Richard is at ground zero.

Racing around the globe from the Pacific Northwest to China to the wilds of northern Idaho and points in between, Reamde is a swift-paced thriller that traverses worlds virtual and real. Filled with unexpected twists and turns in which unforgettable villains and unlikely heroes face off in a battle for survival, it is a brilliant refraction of the twenty-first century, from the global war on terror to social media, computer hackers to mobsters, entrepreneurs to religious fundamentalists. Above all, Reamde is an enthralling human story—an entertaining and epic page-turner from the extraordinary Neal Stephenson.

All I know about this book is that the first version of the ebook was a mess and HC had to take it down.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. MaryK
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 14:25:15

Okay, okay, I bought Crown of Embers. Apparently, $1.99 is my “why not” price.

2. marjorie
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 15:12:32

I loved Crown of Embers — much more than the first book in the series, which had some iffy fatphobic authorial issues (though I liked it anyway).

3. Rosie
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 16:31:20

I loved Crown of Embers. Can’t wait for the final book next month. I’ve heard it’s good.

4. Sarah Mayberry
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 17:07:51

You know why I love the self publishing push so much? Global pricing and no geo blocking. How come indie publishers can get that right, but publishers still can’t? It’s INSANE. Given that they’re all trying to save their asses at the moment and resuscitate an outdated business model, you’d think they’d be all over solving a problem that prevents millions of people from buying their products. But, no. Crown of Thorns is – wait for it – $16.73 to buy on Kindle in Australia. The hard back version is actually cheaper at $13.93. If only shipping wasn’t going to add another gazillion onto that… Publishing industry, I am shaking my head at you.

5. JJPP
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 17:11:28

My book hoarding has finally paid off!! I wasn’t sure about buying Crown of Embers since it’s #2 in the series and #1 isn’t on sale. But what do you know… I actually have #1! It’s hidden on page 14 of my Nook library. Unread. :)

I really need a better way to organize my ebooks… If I buy a book and don’t read it right away (which I do ALL the time with these deals), it just gets buried in my library, along with all the books I have read, haven’t read, have just opened once, etc… Until I don’t remember why I bought it or what it is, or who said it was good!

Jul 30, 2013 @ 17:13:38

@JJPP: This will only encourage you to book hoard more. :)

7. MaryK
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 17:20:47

@JJPP: Do you have Calibre? It’s the only way I can keep track of my ebooks.

calibre-ebook.com

8. AH@badassbookreviews
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 17:28:41

@Sarah Mayberry:

$13.33 in Canada on Kindle, $13.93 for the Hardcover.

9. leftcoaster
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 18:53:27

Do you need to read the first book to enjoy “Crown of Embers”? Sad I missed the first book when it was on sale…

Jul 30, 2013 @ 19:01:34

@leftcoaster: Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend starting with this book. But why not buy the 2nd book and hold on to it hoping the first is reduced again?

11. sarah mayberry
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 19:37:12

@AH@badassbookreviews: That would drive me NUTS, given the US and Canada share a freaking border. Global market, my ever-increasing ass.

12. Persnickety
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 20:26:08

@Sarah Mayberry You beat me to it. That is just an insane markup. It may not be entirely the publisher though, apparently there is an odd amazon thing where if you set a US price, and allow to be sold globally it charges the first 100 overseas buyers an additional 4 or 5$ for. “international transmission”. Once it hits the magic number, the price normalises. The seller has to go in and manually set region/country prices to make them low. Not sure how that work, or how true it is now though.
    My workaround- my husbands kindle “lives” in the USA ( well, it’s located in Australia, but the system thinks its in USA). He gets those prices. Every so often he comes home and asks me if I have been on a buying spree on amazon…

13. Sarah Mayberry
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 20:41:52

@Persnickety: My Kindle app is packing it’s bags as we speak. And I’m not sure about the global pricing thing. I know when I set the pricing on my self pub book, it was the matter of seconds to ensure it would be priced the same in all markets. But that’s because I owned my own copyright. Publishers – particularly the big ones – only generally licence the copyright for the market they operate in, so the book is usually not available in other markets until one of their “sister” offices in another country picks it up and decides to release it, or if the rights are sold to a completely separate publisher (at least, that’s my rather feeble understanding of how it works). Harlequin is one of the few companies I know that has the e-book rights globally for their books (series, anyway), which is why I often buy direct from them (particularly when they have a sale!). Surely there must be some way for Amazon (or other on line retailers) to funnel funds to each geographic licence holder, based on where the sale originates? They can “see” that I’m from Australia well enough to block me from purchasing, after all. Why not just let me buy it – at an adjusted for Australian-currency rate, naturally – and then funnel that money to the Australian copyright licence holder? In this day and age, surely that cannot be an impossible ask?

14. Janine
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 20:49:51

I’d like feedback on the Rae Carson series from readers who read a lot of YA fantasy. I’ve had Girl of Fire and Thorns in my TBR pile since it was on sale long ago. I haven’t read it though, because based on Jane’s love of Angelfall by Susan Ee, I’m not sure if her taste in YA coincides with mine.

Before I take the plunge with The Crown of Embers, I’d love to hear from anyone who has read and loved Kristin Cashore, Rachel Hartman, Megan Whalen Turner or Laini Taylor’s YA fantasy novels. Is the Rae Carson series similar to those?

15. hapax
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 21:14:27

Both I and my daughter love all the authors you named. We both loved Rae Carson as well.

As to whether her books are “similar” to those — well, I’d argue that there are HUGE differences between those authors (setting, themes, voice, tone…) But I’m very specific when if comes to “read-alikes.” I’d say that it is most like Cashore or Turner in setting, most like Taylor in themes and voice. Does that help?

16. leftcoaster
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 21:55:42

@Jane: That’s exactly what I did, you book hoarding enabler you. Thanks, I appreciate all the book budget stretching you help with.

17. John
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 22:19:46

@Janine: I loved both Girl of Fire and Thorns and Crown of Embers. I’d compare the story to the epic scope of a Tamora Pierce novel with the writing/originality of Laini Taylor’s books (maybe more her Dreamdark books since they’re ‘fantasy’ rather than ‘paranormal’) and the accessibility of Graceling. So…totally different, yet still good if you like X, Y, and Z.

And, I know not everyone liked the heroine’s weight issues…but I read that book and fell in love with her because I felt those exact same feelings. Right around that time, I made losing weight a goal and her constant self-shaming was so accurate to what I felt. Her story was very empowering to me because she learned to respect herself and just do whatever the hell needed to be done. Obviously not everyone reads the same things the same way…but it’s something worth reading for yourself if you feel like you want to. :)

Also, Janine, the world is a lot more unique than the usual fantasy (more unique than a Pierce/Cashore world, at least.) The desert setting is fabulous.

18. Janine
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 22:25:37

@hapax: Thanks, yes, that helps a lot. And I didn’t mean that all those authors were alike, but rather, I was asking if Carson is like any one of them.

@John: Thanks! I haven’t read Tamora Pierce, but I appreciate the feedback otherwise. BTW I liked Graceling, but Bitterblue is far and away my favorite by Cashore. And if by chance you haven’t read Hartman or Turner, I really recommend them.