Daily Deals: Vangels, Romantic Suspense, and Hussies who will save the...

Kiss of Surrender - A Deadly Angels Book By: Sandra HillKiss of Surrender by Sandra Hill. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

It’s not easy being a Vampire Angel.

No one knows that better than Trond Sigurdsson. In the centuries since he last went out drinking and wenching with his Viking buds, Trond has been a gladiator, a cowboy, a ditch digger . . . even a sheik. But now he’s the baddest of them all: a kick-ass Navy SEAL kicking butts of terrorist immortals with the help of his hotter-than-Hades female partner, police officer-turned-Special Forces operative Nicole Tasso—whom Trond dearly hopes to “partner” with very shortly in a whole different way.

The “cop” part of Nicole tells her there’s something bizarre about her gorgeous godlike teammate. But her “all-woman” side can’t help wondering how great it would be to have a virile Viking in her bed. Trond has secrets galore, but Nicole feels certain she can dig them out—and really get to the heart of this powerful, unnerving stranger whom she may be risking her soul to love.

This is the second in the “Deadly Angel” series that features time traveling Viking Angel Vampires. Yes, I didn’t mistype that. The characters are called vangels which sounds suspiciously close to vaginas.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

I Got You, Babe - A Sexy Romantic Comedy By: Jane GravesI Got You Babe by Jane Graves. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

A Romance Writers of America RITA Award Finalist by New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, Jane Graves.

She doesn’t know he’s a cop on vacation. He doesn’t know she’s a wrongly accused fugitive on the run. When the truth comes out, all hell breaks loose!

To escape a big, bad bounty hunter hot on her trail, Renee Esterhaus steps into a country diner and offers John DeMarco a night of wild, screaming sex if he’ll take her back to his cabin immediately. John knows something’s up with the beautiful blond, but because she’s the kind of woman he can never refuse, he ignores his cop instincts and takes her up on her offer. When Renee escapes with his car instead, John is furious. Once he grabs her again, he’s determined to haul her to jail, but she insists she’s innocent. Against all odds, he’s starting to believe her. Soon he’s working with her to clear her name, and this wildly mismatched couple is learning about love on the run!

Jayne is a fan of Jane Graves or at least of her book, “Heartstrings and Diamond Rings.” Goodreads’ reviews suggest the book is funny but expect it to be heavy on the mystery and suspense.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Silent Run By: Barbara FreethySilent Run by Barbara Freethy. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

A woman wakes in a hospital bed with no idea of who she is. Her memory is gone, her baby missing. All she has is the gripping certainty that she is in mortal danger. Then a handsome, angry stranger barges in and makes a terrible accusation. He was her lover – and her child’s father – until she disappeared seven months ago.

Jake Sanders swore he’d never forgive Sarah Tucker, but he isn’t about to let her get away again – especially not with his daughter still missing. If he has any chance of recovering his baby, he must help the woman who betrayed him retrieve the pieces of her shattered memory – without letting his feelings get in the way.

Haunted by troubling flashes of memory, Sarah begins to realize she’s lived a life of lies. But what is the truth? And where is her baby?

Price for this is all over the place. It is .99 at Amazon and $1.99 at Kobo but $5.99 at ARE. The reviews describe this as fast paced but the first half might be difficult to work through.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

All In Time By: Ciana StoneAll in Time by Ciana Stone. $ Free.

From the Jacket Copy:

Part of The Hussies series

Sara’s life is filled with mysteries. Why did her parents abandon her as a baby? What’s behind the baffling blackouts she suffers and the frightening images she creates while she’s out? Who is the strange woman claiming to hold the answers, and why does she keep calling Sara a Hussy?Morgan’s got a few mysteries of his own. What was his father going to give him on the day he died — the gift he said would change Morgan’s life? Who is this bewitching woman who keeps passing out and creating pictures of his past and future — and why was she sent to save his life?All they both know from the moment they meet is that the bond between them is stronger — and more passionate — than anything either has ever known. And that fate has brought them together for a very important reason. If only they knew what it was.

AmazonBNSonyhttp://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=Hb5G8HHFIWE&subid=&offerid=258185.1&type=10&tmpid=9309&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kobobooks.com%2Febook%2FAll-In-Time%2Fbook-aM6iXgsP7kqIz9yFZWm2Pg%2Fpage1.html%3Fs%3DHsEtF9Wf70ejlPnVyqyluQ%2526r%3D1″ style=”embossed” TARGET=”_blank”]KoboBook DepositoryApple

1. cbackson
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:43:15

Someone please tell me that the time-traveling Viking Angel Vampire book is a comedy. Please. Because that concept is comedy GOLD. It almost reads like parody of the current state of PNR.

2. cbackson
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:49:12

Also, “The Vangels” totally sounds like the name of a Motown girl group. Although it should technically be “The VVAngels”, no?

3. Estara
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 14:55:05

I think this is the most appropriate place to post this info again (I feel especially happy that three DA readers on a recent thread told me they enjoy Andrea Höst’s books, too):

A heads up to say that Andrea Höst offers And All the Stars, the ebook version, for 99 cents on sale at Smashwords, Amazon, Kobo and B&N (if they’ve updated) for ALL of February, if you wanted a cheap way to dip your toes into her oeuvre.!

There’s a lovely romantic subplot for the main character (and some others, but less developed).

4. Meri
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 15:46:55

@cbackson: It’s his past as a sheikh that really takes it to the next level, I think.

5. Mary
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 16:10:26

@cbackson:

Sandra Hill is generally a comedic writer (although some people reaaaally don’t like her sense of humor and others love it), so I’m assuming it’s a comedy.
    Although I wonder how a completely serious Vampire Viking Angel romance novel would go…

6. Darlynne
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 16:11:54

@Estara: Sold! and thank you.

7. Shelley
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 16:24:19

>>>Yes, I didn’t mistype that. The characters are called vangels which sounds suspiciously close to vaginas.<<<

And I will be passing on this one!

8. Danielle
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 16:30:10

I am aware of Sandra Hill’s long list of (humorous) Viking romances but this is another instance that makes me idly wonder whether she cares much about even rudimentary historical – or paranormal – research. There is plenty of fodder for paranormals in mediaeval nordic mythology, but vampires do not, to the best of my recollection, make an appearance. Werevolves, however, do.

9. Darlynne
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 16:38:25

And “Trond”? Really? I’m sure it’s a wonderful name, and all those thus-named are beloved by their mothers, but it does not work for me in a romance hero. As someone who can read the BDB names without snorting though my nose, I may have met my match with this one and the vajazzled viking vampire angels.

10. Danielle
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 18:44:16

@Darlynne: Actually, it is a common enough name in Norway – and one with Norse roots, to boot. I rather like it :-)

11. leslie
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 18:56:56

@Darlynne: Trond, isn’t that one of Sarah Palin’s kids?

12. Brian
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 19:00:11

@Estara: Bought it yesterday. About 60% through and I like it a lot. With both this and the Touchstone series being hits for me I’ll likely be picking up the rest of her stuff.

13. Sandra
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 19:05:50

@cbackson: Ladies & Gentlemen: I give you Martha and the Vangels…..

Slightly OT — all the news about Richard III is making me want to go read Elizabeth Peters’ Murders of Richard III again. Wonder how long it’ll take all the Ricardian books to hit the shelves.

14. Brian
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 19:21:10

FYI, the other book in the Vangels series, Kiss of Pride is also on sale for $0.99

15. cbackson
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 19:39:17

@Meri: it’s sort of like he’s been working his way through the catalogue of HP heroes. Can we assume that he’s also been a firefighter, a Greek shipping magnate, and a mysterious billionaire?

16. Darlynne
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 21:03:17

@Sandra: Josephine Tey’s Daughter of Time and The Adventures of Alianore Audley by Brian Wainwright, too. The Richard III Society must be thrilled, possibly vindicated.

17. Susan
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 21:36:45

@Sandra: I’ve been following the Richard III news. Fascinating. I’ve never read the Peters book, but one of my all-time favorite historicals is SKP’s The Sunne in Splendour.

I’m so tempted by the time-traveling viking angel vampires, but Sandra Hill’s humor usually falls flat with me so I think I’m going to stay away.

18. Luce
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 22:20:59

When I told my BFF about the Vangel book, she thought I was making it up.

Also, vangels sounds like either flying vaginas or angelic vaginas. O_o!

19. Jayne
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 06:30:47

@Darlynne: I did a (brief) review of “Alianore Audley” years ago.

20. DS
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 07:08:26

For me Hill’s books are usually painful rather than funny. The early one where her heroine time traveled to the old South (can’t remember if it was post/pre Civil War) and organized aerobics classes for all the servants/slave is what pops into my mind nearly every time I see her name.

21. Estara
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 07:26:11

@Darlynne: ^^ *rubs hands* my plans of having her take over the world are proceeding apace… muhahahaha

Enjoy!

@Brian: *fistpump* Banzai!

But I should point out that her other books so far have been adult fantasy. Really good (the first one of the Medair duology was on the 2010 Aurealis Award shortlist), but it’s not YA science fiction.

And All the Stars is nominated for the Cybils this year ^^, and anyway Sherwood Smith loves her work, too, and there can be no higher praise than that (for me anyway ^^).

22. Brian
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 08:49:45

That’s fine. I’ve probably read more fantasy than any other genre and really don’t get too concerned about labels if I find an author I like.

23. Darlynne
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 09:56:59

@Jayne: I had no idea what to expect with this book and Alianore’s contemporary voice nearly threw me–for the space of about five seconds. Then I was on board and strapped in tight. She was thoroughly enjoyable.

24. Estara