Daily Deals: Two romances and two mysteries for $2.99 or under

A Rogue by Any Other NameA Rogue by Any Other Name: The First Rule of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets. . .

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to an unexplored world of pleasures.

Bourne may be a prince of London’s illicit underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness—a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them . . . .even her heart.

I struggled with this one because the hero comes off as a really terrible person. He’s cruel to Penelope even though she has never done anything to harm him and the reason for his own circumstances were the result of his own reckless behavior. I could not finish it but those who have said that Bourne’s redemption is complete.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

At Grave's End Jeaniene FrostAt Grave’s End by Jeaniene Frost. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Some things won’t stay buried . . . at grave’s end

It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield’s life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she’s successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat’s worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover’s finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.

As if that wasn’t enough, a woman from Bones’s past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat’s about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she’s learned as a special agent won’t help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.

This is the third book in the Cat series. I only read the first one which came off as a Buffy/Spike inspired vampire fan fiction but this is a very popular paranormal series.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Cold Granite (Logan McRae, Book 1)      by     Stuart MacBrideCold Granite (Logan McRae, Book 1) by Stuart MacBride. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Stuart MacBride’s Number One bestselling crime series opens with this award-winning debut. DS Logan McRae and the police in Aberdeen hunt a child killer who stalks the frozen streets.Winter in Aberdeen: murder, mayhem and terrible weather…It’s DS Logan McRae’s first day back on the job after a year off on the sick, and it couldn’t get much worse. Three-year-old David Reid’s body is discovered in a ditch, strangled, mutilated and a long time dead. And he’s only the first. There’s a serial killer stalking the Granite City and the local media are baying for blood.Soon the dead are piling up in the morgue almost as fast as the snow on the streets, and Logan knows time is running out. More children are going missing. More are going to die. And if Logan isn’t careful, he could end up joining them…

This is free at B&N. Strongly recommended by Library Journal and positively reviewed by PW.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters Mysteries) by Anne GeorgeMurder on a Girls’ Night Out by Anne George. $ 2.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Patricia Anne — “Mouse” — is respectful, respectable, and demure, a perfect example of genteel Southern womanhood. Mary Alice — “Sister” — is big, brassy, flamboyant, and bold. Together they have a knack for finding themselves in the center of some of Birmingham’s most unfortunate unpleasantness.

Country Western is red hot these days, so overimpulsive Mary Alice thinks it makes perfect sense to buy the Skoot ‘n’ Boot bar — since that’s where the many-times-divorced “Sister” and her boyfriend du jour like to hang out anyway. Sensible retired schoolteacher Patricia Anne is inclined to disagree — especially when they find a strangled and stabbed dead body dangling in the pub’s wishing well. The sheriff has some questions for Mouse and her sister Sister, who were the last people, besides the murderer, of course, to see the ill-fated victim alive. And they had better come up with some answers soon — because a killer with unfinished business has begun sending them some mighty threatening messages…

This is a book about sisters and has promise but it sounds like the mystery lacks verve.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

1. Elyssa Patrick
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:05:07

I love Frost’s series so much–but the first book’s ending about killed me. Really hookable books–and Bones is pretty damn hot.

2. Rosie
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:14:17

Jane, unless I’m mistaken, it looks like Hachette has dropped Agency pricing. Discounts happening at Amazon now.

3. DS
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:18:01

I have almost bought the Frost book more than once, but I find myself staring at the cover. Not only does the pose seem awkward but her legs appear to be two different lengths.

4. DS
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:21:15

Oops, I meant to add this to my first post. I’ve read one MacBride book and really liked it, although it was violent. I understand that his earlier books were less graphic. I have this one on my wish list. so I’m going to go ahead and buy it.

5. Shannon Stacey
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:21:44

My husband just finished Cold Granite and said it was really good. He doesn’t usually read books set outside the US (he hates struggling with pronunciation), but he asked me to get him the next in the series.

6. SuperWendy
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:40:58

I read a couple of Anne George’s mysteries YEARS ago, and I thought they were fun, cozies with a southern-fried flavor. There are 8 books total (the one on sale is #1) and the author passed away back in 2001 (wow, can’t believe it’s been that long now….)

7. Darlynne
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:41:40

Huge thumbs up for Stuart MacBride’s books, violence and all. If your library has the audio versions, I highly recommend the ones read by MacBride; his take on his own characters is hysterical, especially his boss, DI Steel.

8. Darlynne
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:49:52

@Rosie: I’m seeing only 5% off some titles. Are you finding better?

9. Rosie
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 14:59:39

@Darlynne: Not so far. The discounts were a lot better for Harper Collins. But the Hachette books I’ve looked at no longer say price set by publisher.

10. Tabs
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 15:21:35

I just finished glomming the first three Cat and Bones books yesterday. I pretty much had the same issues with the first book that Jane did but I loved the next two. There’s a significant time gap between books 1 and 2 and Cat’s a fully matured ass-kicking badass woman when book 2 opens. i’m totally hooked now.

11. Little Red
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 15:25:53

The MacLean novel got pretty good reviews on BN.com so I think I’ll give it a shot.

Dec 04, 2012 @ 18:38:04

@Rosie – Yup! There are good discounts out there but it isn’t across the board. But this means, All Romance and Books on Board and so on will have bigger catalogs for their discounts.

13. Merrian
    Dec 04, 2012 @ 19:32:04

I never read past the first Cat & Bones book because Cat was killing vampires for being vampires not because they had done anything wrong. All those bodies in the orchard seemed too close to serial killing/racial cleansing for me.

14. SusanL
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 00:13:30

Anne George’s Southern Sisters books are *wonderful*, and are all the better when you know the characters of Mouse and Sister (many times widowed, not divorced) are based on Anne and her cousin, who was raised with her. Plus, there was cousin Pukey Lukey ;) Really.

15. Elizabeth L.
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 08:39:53

@SuperWendy:

Yes, these are definitely cozy mysteries, but they’re hilarious. I don’t normally like that kind of mystery, but there is definitely something about these. “Mouse” and “Sister” make for a fun pair and the books are set in Birmingham, AL which is where the author (and me!) is from. Almost all the locations and stores mentioned are real, including Vulcan mooning the city of Homewood.

If you like cozy mysteries without cats (although Sister’s cat Bubba does sleep on a heating pad on the counter…) and/or anything involving Southern humor, you’d probably like these. It’s worth the $2.99 price, I think.

16. Nicole
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 11:51:56

@Merrian:

The next books do discuss that problem, especially as Cat meets more vampires and monsters and learns that the world isn’t quite so black and white.