Daily Deals: Terry Pratchett; two highly recommended fantasy books; and a...

There are two really great deals on Amazon that I have to mention. (Don’t forget you can use the Kobo code to get discounts on these books. Sept50).

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchLies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

“Remarkable . . . Scott Lynch’s first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora, exports the suspense and wit of a cleverly constructed crime caper into an exotic realm of fantasy, and the result is engagingly entertaining.”—The Times (London)

An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman Bastards, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying

You don’t often see a sale from Random House. This is a highly rated/reviewed fantasy novel. Sounds like it is worth the risk at 99c.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryApple Google

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore,Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Enter the Graceling Realm and let it work its magic . . .

When Queen Bitterblue took the throne of Monsea, she was a child, and her advisers ran the kngdom for her. Now she is beginning to question their decisions, especially how they handle the legacy of her father Leck, who who ruled through his Grace—a special talent for mind-altering—and his taste for darkness and violence. Bitterblue needs to know Monsea’s past to lead it into the future, so she begins exploring the city sreets at night, disguised and alone. As she does, she meets two thieves, who hold a key to the truth of Leck’s reign. And one of them, with a Grace that he hasn’t yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

Bitterblue is unforgettable—a gateway to the Graceling Realm that braids together magic, memory, and romance.

This is the second in a series, a follow up to Graceling

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

The Challenge by Edith LaytonThe Challenge by Edith Layton. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Wealthy, handsome, and devastatingly charming, the expatriate Viscount Hathaway Wycoff could easily win most women’s affections. But the lovely Lucy Stone isn’t most women. Though the self-respecting beauty is drawn to him, she refuses to give in to passion. Once before Lucy had followed her heart–a journey that took her to America and left her there a penniless young widow and mother.

A rich relative unexpectedly offers Lucy and her son passage back to England, answering her longtime prayer. She doesn’t want to leave Wycoff, but given his scandalous reputation, it seems the right choice. Wycoff promises he will change to win her, but Lucy cannot allow herself to believe him. When a devious plot threatens all Lucy holds dear, she must turn to the man she’s vowed not to trust. Neither knows what final destination fate has in store–but they are willing to risk everything to find out.

Originally published by HarperTorch in 2000. The negative reviews say that the book is rather dull but that the hero is superb.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Wilde Series: Set of 3 Full Length Novels  by Janelle DenisonThe Wilde Series: Set of 3 Full Length Novels by Janelle Denison . $ .99.

From the Jacket Copy:

WILDE SERIES (BOXED SET OF 3 FULL LENGTH NOVELS!)

TOO WILDE TO TAME
Mia Wilde has a reputation for being too wild to tame, but that doesn’t mean she’s going to let someone get away with distributing provocative photographs of her. She needs to find out who is threatening her before her overprotective brothers find out. For that, she’s going to enlist the help of private investigator Cameron Sinclair – – the one man who seems immune to her flirtatious and outrageous personality. But Mia soon learns that appearances can be very deceiving.

BORN TO BE WILDE
Ex-Marine turned security specialist Joel Wilde thrives on the high-wire thrills that come with his job. And he isn’t about to give all that up to settle down – – not even with a sexy woman like Lora Marshall. Which means that while he’s protecting her from a violent gang, he’ll need to set a few ground rules to keep things professional. Good thing he’s always been a rule-breaker at heart.

WILDE FOR HIM
Ex-Marine and security agent Ben Cabrera isn’t going to complain about his latest assignment protecting the daughter of a gubernatorial candidate. After all, spending 24/7 with Christy Delacroix isn’t exactly a chore. But it turns out that Christy’s seduction tactics are top notch and it soon becomes impossible to keep things strictly professional . . .

Where these books Harlequin Blazes at one time? I can’t recall. But 99c for three of them seems like a good deal.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

1. Lada
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:07:33

Actually I think Bitterblue is the 3rd in the trilogy after Graceling and Fire .

Nice to see the Daily Deals early! I often miss them later in the day.

2. Anna
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:09:14

Could you fix the ARE links in the Daily Deals posts? They just reload the page.

Thanks!

3. Katie
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:12:29

I just wanted to mention something about the Kobo promo code, Sept50. Often, these promo codes are one use per customer only. However, I’ve already used this promo code four times! So, shop away, my Kobo cronies!

4. Ros
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:14:28

I think the Covet books are also 99c at B&N.

Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:16:08

@Anna: ARE links fixed.

I usually post these later in the day. You are saying I should post them earlier?

6. Lada
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:24:59

I think you should post them whenever it’s convenient for you but I do generally miss seeing them until the next day. Sometimes the deals are still good.

Also FYI…anyone buying a nook book from BnN should be aware that they are having vague and ambiguous technical difficulties resulting in an inability to download/read any ebook purchases. Chat told me to “try again in 24 hours” but it’s already been 48 hours and nothing has been fixed.

7. Keishon
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:34:46

@Lada: I can confirm this as well. But I lucked out and got my purchases. I guess I’m more surprised to learn that this is still an ongoing issue. My problems with them started on Sunday. Definitely avoid B&N website if you want to read any of your purchases today.

8. Janine
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:38:27

Bitterblue was my very favorite book of 2012. Just a beautiful (and feminist) YA fantasy. I purchased a kindle copy for around $10 two months ago so I envy all of you who can get it at this price.

@Lada: Graceling comes directly before Bitterblue. Fire, which was published in between them, is set many years earlier and far away, and while what happens in it has some bearing on events in Bitterblue, IMO it’s not a requirement to read it first. I do recommend reading Graceling before Bitterblue.

9. Jennifer Estep
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 11:43:10

The Lynch book is really good. I’ve been waiting on the third book in that series to come out.

10. Lada
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:08:15

@Janine: Thanks for clarifying this, Janine. I kind of stopped 1/2 way through Graceling but want to get back to it. Getting a deal on Bitterblue might be the motivation I need!

11. LeeF
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:30:19

I see a couple of Patricia Gaffney’s on sale- Flight Lessons 99¢ and Sweet Everlasting $1.99

12. JJPP
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:30:42

I’d never heard of Graceling or Bitterblue, but I just bought them both on the basis of these recommendations. They sound intriguing, and I can’t resist a bit of feminism in my romance. :)

13. Darlynne
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 13:34:30

I’ve used the Kobo coupon seven times over the last few days. Restraining myself from exercising it, and my credit card, again before the end of September is proving almost impossible.

14. hapax
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 14:18:00

Holy frijoles, have you pushed my buttons today!

Bitterblue is my absolute favorite of all the Cashore books, although the experience is enhanced by reading the other two first. However, just a note of caution: as the title suggests, the conclusion is bittersweet.

Locke Lamora also knocked my socks off, although I confess the second book in the series didn’t do it for me. But I love love love a good caper novel, and the plots and counterplots in this one were brilliant, although occasionally very grim indeed.

And Pratchett! Though to be honest, these are all early titles in the Discworld series, and thus are heavy on the farce and parody; where there is social criticism (as in Equal Rites) it’s a bit heavy-handed. (Compare that book to Monstrous Regiment, which covers many of the same themes, but with much more acuity and grace).

Still, any Pratchett is ten times better than most of the other books out there. And Mort starts introducing us to Death’s family, which will eventually result in my favorite character, Susan!

P.S. Look at that — I raved about seven books, and not a romance among them. Which blog is this, again? :-)

15. Janine
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 14:49:01

@Lada: You’re welcome!

@JJPP: I hope you enjoy them. Graceling is more of a romance than Bitterblue, though not exactly a romance either. I would call Bitterblue a coming of age fantasy with some love story elements.

@hapax: I didn’t read the conclusion of Bitterblue as bittersweet. To me it was a happy enough ending in that what needed to happen for the characters to grow and thrive happened. If someone reads it looking for a romance genre style HEA though, that reader won’t get what they expect.

I just purchased The Lies of Locke Lamora thanks to the recommendations in this here and elsewhere.

16. Carolyne
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 15:00:52

For me, Graceling felt like it was trying to push every button on a checklist of what would make an effective and emotionally pleasing story for a specific type of reader. I could see that being why it actually works well for so many readers, but it left me feeling oddly used, and now that feeling is the only thing I can remember about the story.

I’ve debated whether to revisit it with a second read and see how I feel this time, whether I still feel like I’m “seeing the seams,” but I think I may have lent the book out to someone and forgot to ask for it back :)

Locke Lamora sounds like my sort of book. And it’s priced at the irresistible price.

17. MaryK
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 15:33:11

Two of Alexandra Sellers’ old (old, old) HQN novels are free today:

I keep meaning to submit a recommendation for her book Captive of Desire but I can’t think of what to say besides “it’s a good book.” *headdesk*

18. Janine
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 15:38:24

@Carolyne: FWIW, I thought Bitterblue was a stronger, more thematically unified book than either Graceling (which I still really liked) or Fire, which was meh for me.

19. Anne
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 17:58:17

Fan Girl by Rainbow Rowell

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

are both $4.99 on Kindle. They have been recently reviewed here and I think with all the money I’m saving on the Lynch, Cashore and Pratchett books I will be buying these as well.

20. Sunny
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 19:45:13

Scott Lynch was at several panels at Gencon this year and reassured everyone that the third Gentleman Bastard book is indeed coming out, it’s just been a long process — I really, really enjoy his books and his short story reading was great.

Coldest Girl in Coldtown was seriously great, I enjoy everything by Holly Black though (to a greater or lesser extent, this was on the greater side for sure).

I picked up a couple of the Covet books, they’re all new-to-me authors at the right price, but there weren’t very many reviews that weren’t left in return for ARCs (not a bad thing in and of themselves, but rarely less than 3-star no matter what they thought of the book). I’m actually more likely to buy something if there are a variety of starred reviews because they tend to spell out if there are any major issues (for me) in the book that would derail my enjoyment and turn it into a DNF.

21. Sirius
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 21:10:40

So I go trying to get ‘The lies of Lock Lamore” and apparently I bought it three years ago. OY.

22. Kaetrin
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 21:23:01

Janelle Denison did write for blaze but the Wilde books were stand alone novels. There is also a Wilde novella in one of the Brava Bad Boys anthologies (the one with the Shannon McKenna masseuse story in it too). I have 2 or 3 of the Denisons and I remember then as being pretty good – maybe around a B-? An absolute bargain for 99c.

23. Carolyne
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 21:33:38

@Janine: I’m going to give the series a try again. It might have caught me at just the wrong time, and I really am curious to see if the plot comes back to me as I reread :)

24. Olivia Waite
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 22:21:56

I think you mean “first five” Discworld novels, not just five. The series is a kajillion books long by now. And I’ve read them all ten times, no exaggeration. The witches’ books are particular favorites.

25. Willaful
    Sep 18, 2013 @ 12:09:05

That’s one of my least favorite Layton’s, but some of her better ones are also on sale.

26. JJPP
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 08:59:14

I read Graceling last night, and I loved it! It kept me up far too late/early into the morning. Katsa was a great character.

27. Janine
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:47:14

@JJPP: So glad you enjoyed it and loved Katsa! She makes an appearance in Bitterblue as a side character.