Daily Deals: New Adult soap operas, a Bronte retelling, and a...

Past Imperfect by Alison G. BaileyPast Imperfect by Alison G. Bailey. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

n Present Perfect, Brad Johnson was sexy, cocky, rich and a complete Smurff**ker. He could afford anything he wanted and could charm any girl he set his eyes on. Everything was laid out in front of him, all for the taking except the one thing he craved and needed. A tragic event forces him to reevaluate his life. When he tries to change, will the people in his life let him move on from his past or will they constantly hold him to the life altering mistakes he’s made?
Mabry Darnell is intelligent, ambitious, beautiful, and sassy. Secrets from her past haunt the present causing her to question her actions in order to shield her heart and protect her life.

From the moment Brad and Mabry met, their connection was strong, intense, and electrifying. Both knew they had found the one person who could satisfy what the other ached for. When their pasts collide with their present, will it prevent them from having a future together or will love be strong enough to conquer their demons?

* 10% of sales will be donated to the Keith Milano Memorial Fund

Book 1 was written in a compelling voice but had a really irritating heroine so I didn’t jump on the second book in the series (featuring different characters) but at 99c I really cannot resist.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

A Breath of Eyre (Unbound)  by Eve Marie MontA Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

In this stunning, imaginative novel, Eve Marie Mont transports her modern-day heroine into the life of Jane Eyre to create a mesmerizing story of love, longing, and finding your place in the world. . .

Emma Townsend has always believed in stories—the ones she reads voraciously, and the ones she creates. Perhaps it’s because she feels like an outsider at her exclusive prep school, or because her stepmother doesn’t come close to filling the void left by her mother’s death. And her only romantic prospect—apart from a crush on her English teacher—is Gray Newman, a long-time friend who just adds to Emma’s confusion. But escape soon arrives in an old leather-bound copy of Jane Eyre. . .

Reading of Jane’s isolation sparks a deep sense of kinship. Then fate takes things a leap further when a lightning storm catapults Emma right into Jane’s body and her nineteenth-century world. As governess at Thornfield, Emma has a sense of belonging she’s never known—and an attraction to the brooding Mr. Rochester. Now, moving between her two realities and uncovering secrets in both, Emma must decide whether her destiny lies in the pages of Jane’s story, or in the unwritten chapters of her own. . .

DA_January wrote a C review for Dear Author.

Despite my nitpicks, I did feel like the characters were layered and nuanced. I liked that Emma was not perfect and that you tried something different with this story. Even if it didn’t work all the time, you pulled everything together at the end and tied it up neatly. There’s even a sweet HEA for Emma that doesn’t involve her teacher, for which I am utterly thankful. It ends on a hopeful note and Emma, who had previously been meek and mild and frightened, has turned into a strong, empowered character. I really enjoyed that storyline. Actually, I would have enjoyed the entire book a lot more if it hadn’t been for all that time travel plot, which sounds strange to say.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Fighting for Flight (The Fighting Series)  by JB SalsburyFighting for Flight by JB Salsbury. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose?

The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life.Flying under the radar is all she knows and more than she expects.

Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy, Jonah Slade.

Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win.

Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.

Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves?

Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid?

I bought this book a while back. I can’t remember if it was a 99c sale or based on a reader recommendation. I’ve never finished it but not necessarily because it was bad but rather I wasn’t in the mood.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

While It Lasts (Sea Breeze)  by Abbi GlinesWhile It Lasts by Abbi Glines. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Cage brings his playboy prowess to the countryside as the Sea Breeze hookups continue, from self-published phenomenon Abbi Glines.

Low broke Cage’s heart by getting with Marcus in Because of Low. Cage went into a tailspin that ended in a DUI. In order to salvage his baseball scholarship—the one thing he truly valued besides Low—Cage must take a summer job. At a farm. Away from Sea Breeze. With lots of cows, but no hot girls. Maybe that’s what Cage needs to get back on track.

But wait—there’s that hostile daughter of the farm boss. She’s pretty and occasionally sweet, and there seems to be a lot of sadness and mystery behind her anger. Cage is dying to strip her down—physically and mentally—in the back of the barn. But is he prepared for what will happen afterward?

Glines has a loyal fanbase but I haven’t been able to find one of her stories that appeal to me. Maybe the appeal is the over the top soap operatic storylines that keeps readers coming back? I don’t know. I do think it’s interesting that this Simon & Schuster published book still uses the hook of self publishing in the promotional materials.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Mims
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 14:07:37

What in the world is a “Smurfucker”? Do I even want to know?

2. Sarah
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 14:28:08

All of Nora Roberts’ MacKade brothers books are on sale at Amazon (and ARE from what Smart Bitches posted) at $1.99. I figure I can’t be the only Roberts fan who would love this deal. :) (Hope it’s okay to share.)

3. Sarah
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 14:31:45

I have to say, I think I’ve only ever found 5 NA books I’ve actually liked and read all the way through. I’m unbelievably over the ‘tragic, abused, dark’ backstory of practically every NA romance book I see now. As someone who really doesn’t care for dark stories, I’d like to see more variety in NA, some more happy stories or fantasy, paranormal, science fiction etc instead of doom and gloom in every one.

4. Rosie
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 15:05:18

Sarah – do you mind sharing which NA books you’ve enjoyed? For some reason I keep wanting to give the genre another chance and I’m not a fan of Super Angst.

5. Christine
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 15:25:59

Sarah and Rosie, I thought the tag of being labelled ‘New Adult’ meant it had have some kind of parents die young/abuse/tragic accident storyline :-) If it doesn’t have those, can it still be “New Adult”? Maybe they have to come with another genre for happy 20-25 year olds :-)

6. EGS
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 15:38:39

As a 25 year old, I can tell you my life is more “I need to remember to buy toilet paper” than “past with dark secrets meets guy with even darker secrets.” Alas.

7. Mag
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 15:48:30

According to the Urban Dictionary, a Smurffucker is one who fucks Smurfs. Somehow, I thought it would be something different.

8. Sarah
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 16:19:26

I always interpreted New Adult as a more mature version of Young Adult books tbh. Alas I’m obviously wrong as apparently it means sob story backgrounds.

And the books I’ve enjoyed are The Star Thief by Jamie Grey (I include this as apparently people have said it’s NA, also her YA book is fantastic), Off The Record by K.A.Linde, the Samantha Young books, Bet In The Dark by Rachel Higginson, Chasing Wishes by Nadia Simonenko, the Sign of Love series by Mia Sheridan, The Only Exception by Madan Vernon.

Those are the books I personally judged to have been in the NA genre/vein and I found all of them exceptionally readable, enjoyable and had great plot lines and wonderful characters. There are so many NA books I’ve bought and tried and stopped reading after a few chapters due to the fact they all feel ‘the same’ in back story. A few of those I suggested have the ‘sad story’ BUT, they weave those sad stories in unique ways into brilliant story lines that make them stand out from the rest in my opinion.

Some people might not think those are NA but to me they are. And I can safely say NA annoys the hell out of me mostly because as a 23 year old myself, I find the storylines exceptionally unbelievable. And coming from someone who enjoys sci-fi/paranormal books that’s saying something. (sorry for overly long post!)

9. Liviania
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 16:31:53

I mean, that’s how I’d interpret it, but what does that mean?

10. Christine
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 16:43:35

Is there actually a definition for “New Adult” somewhere? I just put my 2 cents in above because every book I’ve ever read labelled “New adult” has some sort of tragic backstory, but I don’t actually know if that is required in order for it to be labelled as such. And I agree with Sarah above, about Samantha Young’s books – they have some sad bits but they are some of my favourites in the genre. I’m also really enjoying Jen Frederick’s Woodland series if you haven’t tried those Rosie.

11. Isobel Carr
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 16:56:08

@Sarah: I keep seeing a wish for SFF “New Adult”, but I just don’t know what that would be. Huge amounts of SFF are about NA-aged protagonists finding their way, growing up, finding love, winning their war or fulfilling their quest. But since it’s a mainstay of the genre, and pretty much always has been, there’s no real need for a NA label.

12. Rosie
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 18:01:00

Christine, I almost got Undeclared by Jen Frederick recently. I see that I can borrow it for free from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.
    And thanks, Sarah, for sharing your favorites. I don’t think I’d heard of any of those, besides the Samantha Youngs.

13. Mims
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 18:03:18

@Mag:

Thanks, I really didn’t want to google that. What has been read/seen cannot be un-read/unseen. I went to Urban Dictionary after your reply and thought smerf was a miss-spelled but it wasn’t and it’s a thing. All I can say is a) Wow, that’s a real specific thing to put in a book blurb and b) that really doesn’t sell the book for me. And why the hell isn’t it smerffucker instead of smurffucker?

14. Heather Massey
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 19:28:43

@Isobel Carr:

I blogged about NA sci-fi romance at Heroes & Heartbreakers last year after researching possible titles. My post is a roundup of what I found. To qualify, I’ve not read all of them. It’s only a handful, but I figured I’d share the link in case anyone’s interested:

15. Justine
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 20:26:28

A book that Dear Author reviewed is now free on Amazon. Indian Maidens Bust Loose by Vidya Samson has been renamed Prince Charming Wanted; Dowry Seekers Kiss Off! and is now free on Amazon. Jayne gave the book a B in 2012.

I completely agree with the first replies by Sarah and Christine. That said, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Samantha Young’s books. Yes, the characters have sad back stories, but they didn’t grate on me nearly as much as those in other NA books. I’ll have to check out the rest of Sarah’s recs. Some NA books on my wishlist are Deeper by Robin York (a.k.a. adult romance author Ruthie Knox), One & Only by Viv Daniels (a.k.a. YA author Diana Peterfreund), and Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology by nineteen authors.

16. Christine
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 07:28:50

@Justine: Thanks for the book tip, I picked it up this morning! And Deeper is excellent (well, anything by Ruthie York is going to to be good!) Books by Jen McLaughlin (she write contemp as Diane Albright) are also very good in the NA genre. And there was an NA anthology just released “Breakaway” (99c) which has a short story by Penny Reid (the knitting in the city series CR author) that is worth the price of the book!

17. Justine
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 15:58:15

@Christine: You’re welcome! Thanks for reminding me about the Breakaway NA anthology! Penny Reid is auto-buy for me because of her Knitting in the City series. Deeper may make me angry (because of the revenge p0rn) and/or rip me apart, so I’m waiting until I feel emotionally ready to dive into it. I’m adding Jen McLaughlin/Diane Albright to my list of authors to try!

18. Christine
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 16:26:06

@Justine: Be warned though, you’ll get to the end of Penny’s story and you’ll want more! She’s already been told that by several people and is seriously considering extending the story. And the sequel to Deeper (Harder) is coming out in April/May/June – can’t remember – so you might want to wait till the whole story is finished (not sure if it is 2 or 3 story arc). Personally I prefer books that finish in one tome (series are great as long as each book is a dift character).