Daily Deals: More romances $1.99 or under (with a Martha Wells...

Good Girls Don't      by     Victoria DahlGood Girls Don’t by Victoria Dahl. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Too much of a good thing?

With her long ponytail and sparkling green eyes, Tessa Donovan looks more like the girl next door than a businesswoman—or a heartbreaker. Which may explain why Detective Luke Asher barely notices her when he arrives to investigate a break?in at her family’s brewery. He’s got his own problems—starting with the fact that his partner, Simone, is pregnant and everyone thinks he’s the father.

Tessa has her hands full, too. Her brother’s playboy ways may be threatening the business, and the tension could tear her tight?knit family apart. In fact, the only thing that could unite the Donovan boys is seeing a man come after their “baby” sister. Especially a man like Luke Asher. But Tessa sees past the rumors to the man beneath. He’s not who people think he is—and neither is she.

This was definitely not my favorite Dahl series. I preferred the three books preceding the Donovan Brewery series but it is only 1.99.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

The Cloud Roads      by     Martha WellsThe Cloud Roads by Martha Wells. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Moon has spent his life hiding what he is – a shape-shifter able to transform himself into a winged creature of flight. An orphan with only vague memories of his own kind, Moon tries to fit in among the tribes of his river valley, with mixed success. Just as Moon is once again cast out by his adopted tribe, he discovers a shape-shifter like himself… someone who seems to know exactly what he is, who promises that Moon will be welcomed into his community. What this stranger doesn’t tell Moon is that his presence will tip the balance of power… that his extraordinary lineage is crucial to the colony’s survival… and that his people face extinction at the hands of the dreaded Fell! Now Moon must overcome a lifetime of conditioning in order to save and himself… and his newfound kin.

Martha Wells is an author name that pops up time and again for writing richly layered fantasy stories. At 1.99, how can you not give it a try. This book isn’t for sale the 1.99 at BN but the book City of Bones (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/city-of-bones-martha-wells/1001859104?ean=9781435705456) as well as your other favorite retail locations

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Devil's Bride Stephanie LaurensDevil’s Bride with Bonus Material by Stephanie Laurens. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Where it all began. . . The Cynsters!

When Devil, the most infamous member of the Cynster family, is caught in a compromising position with plucky governess Honoria Wetherby, he astonishes the entire town by offering his hand in marriage. No one dreamed this scandalous rake would ever take a bride. And as society mamas swooned at the loss of England’s most eligible bachelor, Devil’s infamous Cynster cousins began to place wagers on the wedding date.

But Honoria wasn’t about to bend society’s demands and marry a man “just” because they’d been found together virtually unchaperoned. No, she craved adventure, and while solving the murder of a young Cynster cousin fit the bill for a while, she decided that once the crime was solved she’d go off to see the world. But the scalding heat of her unsated desire for Devil soon had Honoria craving a very different sort of excitement. Could her passion for Devil cause her to embrace the enchanting peril of a lifelong adventure of the heart?

Now with special bonus material, including Q&As with the author and a sneak peek at other books by Stephanie Laurens!

This book is a pre order with a release date of November 20, 2012. Devil’s Bride is my favorite Laurens’ book. I’ve read it so many times, it’s pretty much ruined for me. Maybe in ten years or so I can revisit and determine whether it has withstood the test of time.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

The Virgin Elizabeth: A Novel      by     Robin Maxwell The Virgin Elizabeth: A Novel by Robin Maxwell. $ 2.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

A book of passion, of sixteenth-century England, of greed and political ambition unto death. Historians and novelists have written extensively about the various aspects of Queen Elizabeth I’s long, rich, and tumultuous life. No one has ever given us a fully realized portrait of the greatest English monarch as a young girl. Concluding her brilliant Tudor trilogy, Robin Maxwell enters this new territory by introducing Elizabeth as a romantic and vulnerable teenager dangerously awakening to sexuality with the wrong man. Elizabeth, daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, was banished from the court at the age of two when her father sent Anne Boleyn to her death. Seven years later, when the gracious and immensely wealthy Catherine Parr became Henry’s sixth wife, she softened the King’s heart and Elizabeth was readmitted to the court. For the next four years the young princess enjoyed a warm friendship with Catherine and a new sense of belonging.

In 1547, Great Harry is dead, and Elizabeth’s nine-year-old brother Edward VI is king in name only. Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset, has boldly named himself Lord Protector and effectively seized power. Meanwhile the duke’s equally ambitious brother Thomas, realizing he cannot wrest control directly, has deployed his greatest talent—his charm and sexual magnetism—to utmost effect by persuading Henry’s widow Catherine to marry him. His real goal, however, is the late king’s daughter: Elizabeth herself. And so the game begins, one with rules that only reckless, amoral Thomas Seymour understands. Into this intrigue are drawn both those who love Elizabeth and those who wish her ill. In order to escape certain doom and achieve independence, Elizabeth must stand alone.

From Kirkus “Fascinating and historically accurate, but the story sinks fast under the weight of clumsy exposition and a stilted style crowded with minutiae. “

and from Library Journal ” Virgin, the third in Maxwell’s series (The Queen’s Bastard, The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn) is tense, absorbing, highly entertaining, and recommended for all public libraries. “

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

1. DS
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 12:27:43

Warning about A City of Bones. It has a less than happy ending although it is a good fantasy. The third in the Raksura books is due out in December so there is something good to look forward to. The audible versions of The Cloud Roads and Serpent Sea are also very good and it looks like they may be on sale as well.

2. Erin Satie
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:06:23

I’m just going to pop in as I always do when I see the Martha Wells series mentioned and say that I loved it. Beautiful world-building and a story that’s enveloping and vivid enough to stick in the mind, vs. action-packed and tense. I really enjoyed both books in that series & will continue on w/ it.

3. JJ
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:13:47

RE: The Cloud Roads

It was a free offering on 12/12/11 at Amazon under a different ASIN. I suggest checking your myk page before purchasing to make sure you don’t already have it.

4. carmen webster buxton
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:31:16

Another vote for The Cloud Roads as an intriguing story in a fascinating world. I debated whether to call it science fiction or fantasy and decided it was both, because to me it’s an alien world with magic. But one thing I loved was the social structure of the Raksura, and the fact that queens actually fought for mates– and queens were pretty damn scary, too!

5. Lynne Connolly
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:34:55

The book about Elizabeth I – there are a lot of books about Elizabeth as a young girl, fiction and otherwise. The standouts in fiction are Margaret Irwin’s trilogy – Young Bess, Elizabeth, Captive Princess and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Susan Kay’s “Legacy” starts with her childhood, Rosalind Miles’ “I, Elizabeth” has it, too, and Jean Plaidy and Robert Lindsay had a go, too.
    But it is lovely to see another addition to the genre. Elizabeth is an endlessly fascinating character.

6. Estara
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:44:18

Well, there’s a sort of love story in the Cloud Roads, too. The hero finds a mate, at least ^^. It’s more explored in the second book. And there’s some very good bromance!

If you want real free Martha Wells fantasy with a romance, there’s always The Element of Fire – which is free at two sites and very cheap at Amazon. It’s also a great court intrigue book.

Oh and the third Raksura book should be available from Nightshade at the end of November, I believe! Which is why they are doing the Cloud Roads promo in the first place.

7. Anne V
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 13:52:47

@Estara: completely, utterly off-topic, but I went and read Andrea Host because of your comments and just yay.

8. Laura Florand
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 14:58:04

Martha Wells is amazing. I think I wrote a review of one of her books for Dear Author years ago. Wheel of the Infinite maybe? One of my top favorite authors. The Cloud Roads series is wonderful. Yes, all of her works are fantasy, but the romantic element in them is deeply satisfying to me. (Other than City of Bones, you do get your happy ending where the romance line is concerned.) I love her Gate of the Gods series, too. You can’t beat Tremayne as a heroine, and Gideon is great, too.

I think she used to offer Element of Fire free; you could check her website to see if that’s still the case. That was her first book and still a top favorite of mine.

9. Laura Florand
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 16:02:03

Sorry, Estara, I see you already mentioned Element of Fire as free. :) It’s definitely a fantastic introduction to her!

10. Readsalot81
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 16:26:07

@Estara : Very off topic, but I’ll echo Anne’s statement. Thanks for the headsup.. I’m in the middle of Stray and am liking it very much. The beginning rather reminds of the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks.. but the voice is very engaging and I’m not bored at all.. even as it’s just her moving through the trees so to speak.

11. Estara
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 17:24:59

@Anne V: & @Readsalot81: That makes me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Discovering her made me feel like my twenties when I discovered Mercedes Lackey (not that they have the same voice), just “THIS is for ME!” – and now that Sherwood Smith feels similar I have even less shame about wanting to share ^^, hehehe.

12. Estara
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 17:44:08

@Laura Florand: When two people say similar things, it always makes me more likely to try, so the more the merrier in endorsing Martha Wells, I say.

13. Ita
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 22:03:47

Love, love, love Martha Wells! She writes the best heroines ever: smart, snarky, without being unpleasantly bitchy. Her books have intricate, well-thought-0ut worlds and fast paced plots. One of the few authors whose books are hardback-worthy.

14. wordsp1nner
    Nov 03, 2012 @ 22:17:28

Martha Well’s website has quite a large excerpt of the third book of the Raksura, which is called The Siren Depths. It is here: http://www.marthawells.com/compendium/sirendepths.htm

She also has a couple of short stories set in the same universe, one with Moon and one with Chime, both set before The Cloud Roads. If you want to check out her voice/the world without committing to getting the book, go here: http://www.marthawells.com/compendium/

These books have just the best covers. I love them.

15. LisaCharlotte
    Nov 04, 2012 @ 07:50:20

Devil’s Bride is one of my keepers. I first read it not too long after it released. I have reread it a number of times over the years. I reread it last week and it holds up for me with one exception. Now I skip over the love scenes. That’s a lot of wasted pages!

16. Estara
    Nov 04, 2012 @ 12:28:29

Alert all the Martha Wells Fans: She’s giving away authographed Hardcover copies of the new Raksura book, The Siren Depths to benefit the Hurricane Sandy victims. Donate something to enter into the raffle. More details at her LJ:

Official release date for the new book is December 4th – and she doesn’t even set a limit on how high the donation must be to join the raffle.