Daily Deals: Missing women, a death reaper, the original Game of...

9780061878206_p0_v1_s260x420And She Was: A Novel of Suspense by Alison Gaylin. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

On a summer afternoon in 1998, six-year-old Iris Neff walked away from a barbecue in her small suburban town . . . and vanished.

Missing persons investigator Brenna Spector has a rare neurological disorder that enables her to recall every detail of every day of her life. A blessing and a curse, it began in childhood, when her older sister stepped into a strange car never to be seen again, and it’s proven invaluable in her work. But it hasn’t helped her solve the mystery that haunts her above all others—and it didn’t lead her to little Iris. When a local woman, Carol Wentz, disappears eleven years later, Brenna uncovers bizarre connections between the missing woman, the long-gone little girl . . . and herself.

Winner of the 2013 Shamus Award for Best Original Paperback P.I. Novel

The flashbacks bothered some readers because it created what they thought was a disjointed narrative. Hard to lose yourself in the story.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Series #1) by Darynda JonesFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

First Grave on the Right is the smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper.

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e., murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life…and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

This is a thrilling debut novel from Darynda Jones, an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense.

The first three books in the series are on sale for $2.99. I believe the 7th book is due to be released soon. This book wasn’t for me but I know that the series has quite a few fans.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1) by Maurice DruonThe Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1) by Maurice Druon. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

‘This is the original game of thrones’ George R.R. Martin

From the publishers that brought you A Game of Thrones comes the series that inspired George R.R. Martin’s epic work.

“Accursed! Accursed! You shall be accursed to the thirteenth generation!”

The Iron King – Philip the Fair – is as cold and silent, as handsome and unblinking as a statue. He governs his realm with an iron hand, but he cannot rule his own family: his sons are weak and their wives adulterous; while his red-blooded daughter Isabella is unhappily married to an English king who prefers the company of men.

A web of scandal, murder and intrigue is weaving itself around the Iron King; but his downfall will come from an unexpected quarter. Bent on the persecution of the rich and powerful Knights Templar, Philip sentences Grand Master Jacques Molay to be burned at the stake, thus drawing down upon himself a curse that will destroy his entire dynasty…

Any time I see a book endorsed by George RR Martin I think, “Well, I guess that means everyone dies in this series.” I don’t know if that is true for this series but if George RR Martin likes it there must be killings and degradation of women.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Say You Need Me  by Kayla PerrinSay You Need Me by Kayla Perrin. $ .99.

From the Jacket Copy:

“Mr. Right” was wrong! Lovelorn librarian Serena Childs was destroyed when Cecil Montford—the fine–looking charmer she thought was “The One”—snuck out of her life with her savings and a priceless diamond necklace. And now he’s dining in plain view at a local restaurant only two weeks later! But it’s not until she has the man arrested that Serena discovers he’s not Cecil at all—but the lowlife thief’s equally hot twin brother, Darrell.

The lady can’t believe the two are actually related. Where Cecil was lowdown, Darrell’s loyal and honest . . . and as tempting a dark dreamboat as her lips have ever ached to kiss. Darrell’s eager to help Serena get back the jewels—and the heart—his no–good twin stole from her. But how can she trust someone with the same heavenly face that gave her hell—even when the angel tells her he wants to love her for a lifetime?

There are not a ton of reviews for this book. One says it is very realistic and another says its unbelievable. And it has a Harriet Klausner review. Man, where has she been?

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Angela
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:15:17

“I guess that means everyone dies in this series.”

This was my first thought about The Iron King, too!

GRRM has pretty much fulfilled my limits on female degradation and characters dying. I think I’ll pass on some more of that.

2. Barb in Maryland
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:22:17

You are correct in your guess about “The Iron King”. The writing is vigorous, the history is very good (it is historical fiction, not fantasy). The times, they certainly were bloody. And none of the major female characters are presented in a nuanced manner–they tend to be portrayed as cold-hearted bitches or worse. I read it (and the sequels) a gazillion years ago and then forgot about them. I was rather surprised to see that they were being re-issued. The Druon books would make a great HBO series (if they weren’t already doing Martin’s books!)

3. Isobel Carr
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:34:30

Kensington has discounted Jackie Barbosa’s Behind the Red Door. It’s normally $8-something and until April 1st it’s $2.99:

Enter the Red Door, a most exclusive brothel, where men enjoy all the sins of the flesh and women surrender to their own secret desires. . .

“Wickedly Ever After”

Known for his wicked ways, the Marquess of Grenville is far from marriage material. But when Miss Eleanor Palmer tries to tell him so, she quickly finds the heat of his kiss melting her determination to say “no” into an uncontrollable desire to say “yes. . .”

“Scandalously Ever After”

Most men who visit the Red Door brothel enjoy sampling the variety of feminine delights, so Calliope is surprised when Captain Jack Prescott claims her for a week of passion. But satisfying his every sexual desire provides them both with complete carnal pleasure. . .

“Sinfully Ever After”

Lady Jane St. Clair loves her fiancé, but Gerard Nash is a notorious rake who likes adventurous women. Wanting to show him just how bold she can be, Jane masquerades as a young ingénue at the Red Door where she and Gerard experience sinfully erotic ecstasy. . .

4. Nicole
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:39:16

I couldn’t get into First Grave on the Right as a print/ebook, but I accidentally bought it from Audbile after I’d given up on the book, and really enjoyed it. Lorelei King’s voice was exactly what I needed to get into the books. They’re pretty fun, the mysteries aren’t insultingly stupid, and I enjoy that there are moments that are truly touching. I think that the last couple of books have been maybe a little darker or more serious than the previous entries, but overall Charley is too much of a smart aleck to stay serious for too long. The next book in the series will be the sixth.

5. hapax
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:42:20

oooh, a Twin Story!

I’ve never encountered the Identical Twin plot that was even remotely plausible (I’ve known my fair share of twins), but that doesn’t stop me from gobbling them up.

It’s like the Chick-In-Pants trope. Sometimes you just hafta go with it.

6. Sirius
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 14:45:38

@Barb in Maryland: Yep, I read it long time ago in Russian translation.

7. Jen
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 15:39:05

Anne Stuart is doing a 40 days for 40 years of specials here http://anne-stuart.com/drama-queen/2014/3/23/day-5-in-which-i-break-romances-most-important-rule and today’s special is Escape Out of Darkness and it is free.

8. Susan
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 17:49:16

My early years were spent devouring historical fiction and romance, but I missed the Druon book/series. Sounds like it might be in the vein of all the Thomas B. Costain books on the Plantagenets I enjoyed. I’ll give it a shot.

9. Barb in Maryland
    Mar 25, 2014 @ 19:33:31

@Susan:
    Susan–I’m a Costain fan too. Be warned–Costain liked his female characters. i really don’t think Druon did. You have been warned…

10. Kaetrin
    Mar 26, 2014 @ 02:05:11

@Nicole: Yes, I enjoyed the audiobook of First Grave on the Right too. Lorelei King made it really accessible. It was marketed as a romance and it’s really more Urban Fantasy – the romantic arc is over a number of books a la Kate Daniels/Mercy Thompson. I’d like to listen to other books in the series one of these days.

11. LeeF
    Mar 26, 2014 @ 02:07:45

@Jen:

I can’t believe I missed the first 5 days of free books and giveaways. I plan to look every day from here until…whenever.

12. Loonigrrl
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:21:02

I only recently discovered the Grave books by Darynda Jones – and now I’m totally addicted. I cannot wait for the next book.