Daily Deals: Marriage in trouble; BDSM contemporary; WWII mystery; Romantic suspense

Deadly Descent Kaylea CrossDeadly Descent by Kaylea Cross. $ .99 (it will be on sale tomorrow. excuse the user error!)

From the Jacket Copy:

Devon Crawford is an officer; Air Force Pararescueman Cam Munro is enlisted. Dev flies medical evacuations; Cam jumps into danger zones to save lives. Dev wants to return home from Afghanistan with her heart untouched; Cam will do anything to win the woman he loves.

Reaching for happiness in a war zone is the last thing Captain Devon Crawford plans, but she can’t ignore the feelings she’s hidden for so long. Cam’s sexy charm and wicked kisses weaken her resistance, but she’s too afraid of losing him to give in.

When Dev’s helicopter and crew are shot down and set up as bait by a notorious warlord, Cam risks all to save the team. What he doesn’t know is that the trap is set for him….

83,000 words

I read this one and the second one. What I like is that these stories include women in the military.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacneaMr. Churchill’s Secretary by Susan Elia Macneal. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

For fans of Jacqueline Winspear, Laurie R. King, and Anne Perry, Mr. Churchill’s Secretary captures the drama of an era of unprecedented challenge—and the greatness that rose to meet it.

London, 1940. Winston Churchill has just been sworn in, war rages across the Channel, and the threat of a Blitz looms larger by the day. But none of this deters Maggie Hope. She graduated at the top of her college class and possesses all the skills of the finest minds in British intelligence, but her gender qualifies her only to be the newest typist at No. 10 Downing Street. Her indefatigable spirit and remarkable gifts for codebreaking, though, rival those of even the highest men in government, and Maggie finds that working for the prime minister affords her a level of clearance she could never have imagined—and opportunities she will not let pass. In troubled, deadly times, with air-raid sirens sending multitudes underground, access to the War Rooms also exposes Maggie to the machinations of a menacing faction determined to do whatever it takes to change the course of history.

Jayne didn’t really love this book.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Claimed: Club Sin by Stacey Kennedy.Claimed: Club Sin by Stacey Kennedy. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

“Claimed sucked me in! Stacey Kennedy weaves together the intense BDSM lifestyle with the soft touch of a sweeter, more traditional love story in a novel with an engaging heroine at its heart.”—J. Kenner, New York Times bestselling author of Release Me

A novel of erotic discovery and forbidden desire that goes beyond Fifty Shades of Grey.

Presley Flynn is ripe to experience her secret fantasies . . . and Dmitri Pratt wants nothing more than to fulfill them. Once inside the elite Club Sin in Las Vegas, Presley is nervous but excited—and determined to surrender to her every desire. Dmitri is her Master, and his touch is like fire. With each careful, calculated caress, he unleashes her wildest inhibitions, giving her unimagined pleasure.

Presley is different than the other submissives Dmitri has mastered. The BDSM lifestyle is new to her, and so are the games they play at Club Sin. From the start, Presley stirs emotions in Dmitri far beyond the raw purity between a dom and the perfect sub. For the ecstasy they share goes beyond the dungeon, igniting a passion that claims the very depths of the heart.

Claimed is an erotic romance intended for mature audiences.

Reviews say that it is 50 like (and given some of the promotion around it, I guess that is what the book is going for?) It’s a club BDSM romance with an innocent submissive.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Fires of Winter by Roberta GellisFires of Winter by Roberta Gellis. $2.99 .

From the Jacket Copy:

A sparkling prize, the beautiful Mellusine of Ulle is awarded to the bastard-born Bruno of Jernaeve as a spoil of war. Bruno vows to tame the rebellious spirit of the captive beauty– but ultimately surrenders to her charms. Born of different worlds, joined in the flames of passion and intrigue, they find new strength in each other’s arms…and a burning love that defies all eternity.

Gellis is considered one of the best medieval romance authors.  This is a marriage in trouble story told from alternating POVs:  ”Alternating chapters are written from the perspective of husband and wife, the work is historically accurate, and the narrative is sensitive and insightful. For Gellis fans, the fact that some characters appeared in Tapestry of Dreams makes this work all the richer.”

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

1. Jayne
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:11:02

Jayne didn’t really love this book.

LOL, that’s an understatement.

2. Antoinette
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:17:28

At $0.99 I was going to give the first one a whirl but it’s $3.XX at all the retailers listed.

Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:20:47

@Antoinette: Hmm. Maybe recheck tomorrow. I was told it was going to be 3.99.

4. Antoinette
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:26:43

Oh if it’s supposed to be $3.99 then it’s all good. The headline says $.99 so I got confused! (It’s a slightly lower $3.03 on Amazon.)

Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:27:38

@Antoinette: No, I meant, it was supposed to 99c. I’m in a fog today. 99c! I think the retailers just haven’t recorded the sale yet?Or maybe it doesn’t go on sale until tomorrow? Sigh. What is today?

6. Antoinette
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:31:00

LOL! No worries! I’ve got it on my watch list so I’ll keep an eye out for the price change. ;) More coffee?

Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:32:28

@Antoinette: Okay, I checked my email. It’s supposed to go on sale tomorrow. What’s so terrible is that I did the deals last night and thought I was being so great doing something ahead of time. … :(

8. jennifer
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 14:46:52

I bought Mr. Churchill’s Secretary based on a cover blurb from Rhys Bowen….and oy, I regretted that purchase.

9. JenM
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 15:12:14

Not a romance (and since it’s the Kindle daily deal, probably only at Amazon), but I just picked up Orphan Train: A Novel, by Christina Baker Kline. It sounds fascinating. The basis for the novel is that a current day teenager in the foster care system who stole a book from the library does her community service hours by helping a 90 YO woman who was put on an orphan train in the early 1900′s after she lost her parents. I had no idea such things even existed, but apparently in that time period, thousands of orphans from the East Coast were shipped off to the Midwest, supposedly for fostering, but mainly to provide free farm (and other) labor. This was the precursor to our present day foster care system.

10. Liz H.
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 15:22:23

Don’t know if this has been posted yet- Cherise Sinclair’s ‘Club Shadowlands’, the first in her series, is free at Amazon and ARe (and possibly others).
    Sorry, don’t know how to put in proper links, maybe someone can correct this for me- http://www.amazon.com/Club-Shadowlands-Masters-ebook/dp/B00B1N3EBC/ref=la_B002YEHPYY_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380053918&sr=1-18

11. Nicole Jane
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 18:41:59

I read “Club Sin” and enjoyed it. I would say that it’s BDSM light. I’ve enjoyed books more than this one, but it is by far not the worst I read! ;) I think that it is appropriately priced. I’d planned on buying the next book in the series when it comes out.

12. Amy
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 21:31:34

I have never read a book by Roberta Gellis. Is this a good book to read as an into to this author?

13. Kaetrin
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 21:55:08

@Amy: I’d recommend Roselynde to start with Roberta Gellis personally. Fires of Winter wasn’t my favourite of hers – I liked it but I didn’t find it engrossing. Her Roselynde Chronicles books are (except for the last one, whose name I can never remember) excellent (and especially the first 4). (IMO) :)

14. Keishon
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 22:49:34

@Amy: Along with Kaetrin’s excellent recommendation, I’d add Fortune’s Bride which features a hero who is a oblivious to his looks. It’s a marriage of convenience story if I remember correctly.

15. Susan
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 23:05:04

I had passed on Mr. Churchill’s Secretary based on Jayne’s review, but decided to pick it up for $2–where it will probably languish forever in my TBR hoard. (sigh)

But if I’d paid full price for this when it was released in the spring and saw that they’d knocked off $7 bucks just a few months later, well I’d be massively steamed. What is going on with these publishers? (No surprise that Random Penguin is the culprit here.)

16. DB Cooper
    Sep 25, 2013 @ 08:12:24

Snark? Pardon me while I let mine out to walk…

RE: Claimed…. “Perfect sub”, “innocent” (pause: is it only me, or do those two things seem to run counter to each other), “secret fantasies”, “wants nothing more than to fulfill them”. “touch like fire”, “careful calculated caress”, “wildest inhibitions”, “imagined pleasures”

“different than other submissives”, “BDSM Lifestyle” “sitrs emotions in Dimitri, far beyond raw purity” “ecstasy they share” “igniting passion” “claims the very depth of their heart”

I…I…I… I mean wow. I know back-of-book text is supposed to catch the reader’s eyes and generate interest, but really. All I can say is “Way to pack trigger phrases in there!” Seriously, it’s like 80% of the text right there…all you need are a couple of connectors!

(Oh, and is it me, or are these phrases really, really slanted towards an almost caricature-like reader/stereotype? Maybe it’s just me.)

17. Amy
    Sep 26, 2013 @ 01:28:28

Keishon and Kaetrin: Thanks for the recommendations!