Daily Deals: Kobo multi use coupon and a recommended time travel

I’m posting this early because Kobo has a 90% off coupon that you can use multiple times. It is not good on any of the traditionally published books but you can use it on Ellora’s Cave, Scholastic, indie books, Total eBound, Samhain, Carina Press, Harlequin and the like.

The code is FDKY9RD.

You have to buy each book individually and after about 14 purchases, Kobo cuts you off from using your credit card and I had to resort to using my Paypal account.

What did I buy? A lot. I bought several indie books ranging from $.10 to $.40 along with cookbooks (soup, Thai, one pot), travel books, and kids books for my tot.

A tip to help figure out what is eligible for the promo code? Do a search and then scroll down. On the left side is “Items Eligible for Promo Codes.”

Screenshot 2014-03-03 08.09.33

Report back on what you purchased and have fun on your Kobo binge.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie WillisTo Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. $ 1.99 AMZN | Google

From the Jacket Copy:

From Connie Willis, winner of multiple Hugo and Nebula Awards, comes a comedic romp through an unpredictable world of mystery, love, and time travel…
Ned Henry is badly in need of a rest. He’s been shuttling between the 21st century and the 1940s searching for a Victorian atrocity called the bishop’s bird stump. It’s part of a project to restore the famed Coventry Cathedral, destroyed in a Nazi air raid over a hundred years earlier.

But then Verity Kindle, a fellow time traveler, inadvertently brings back something from the past. Now Ned must jump back to the Victorian era to help Verity put things right–not only to save the project but to prevent altering history itself.

I might have released a tiny yelp of glee when I say that this was a deal. (Not at BN of course because why would they price match?) This is a fantastic time travel book (one that actually made sense to me) and its filled with charm, wit, and mystery. And a bit of romance.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1) by Patricia BriggsMoon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1) by Patricia Briggs. $ 2.99 AMZN | Google

From the Jacket Copy:

Mercy Thompson’s life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she’s fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn’t exactly normal herself.

This is the first in the Mercy Thompson series and I really have enjoyed following along and getting to know the characters better. This book was subject of a debate between Sarah Wendell and I on a recent podcast. I argued that you could see the romantic sentiment between Mercy and her neighbor but she said it wasn’t clear. You should read it / buy it and then report back!

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Rules of Prey  by John SandfordRules of Prey by John Sandford. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

The haunting, unforgettable, ice-blooded thriller that introduced Lucas Davenport is so chilling that you’re almost afraid to turn the pages and so mesmerizing you cannot stop.

I read a number of Lucas Davenport books back in the day. What I remember from them is that he slept with a different woman in every book and drove a Ferrari. Or a Porsche. I think it was Ferrari. I don’t remember it being particularly haunting but it was good enough that I followed the series for several books until I just got tired of the manwhore. I believe he eventually settles down late in the series but I do remember thinking that the author was living vicariously through his creation.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George) Cathy WoodmanThe Sweetest Thing by Cathy Woodman. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

If only everything in life was as simple as baking a cake…
Jennie Copeland thought she knew the recipe for a happy life: marriage to her university sweetheart, a nice house in the suburbs and three beautiful children. But when her husband leaves her, she is forced to find a different recipe. And she thinks she’s found just what she needs: a ramshackle house on the outskirts of the beautiful Talyton St George, a new cake-baking business, a dog, a horse, chickens… But life in the country is not quite as idyllic as she’d hoped, and Jennie can’t help wondering whether neighbouring farmer Guy Barnes was right when he told her she wouldn’t last the year.
Or perhaps the problem is that she’s missing one vital ingredient to make her new life a success. Could Guy be the person to provide it?

The major complaint was that the heroine was a doormat who was treated poorly by her ex and her kids.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Spinster
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 08:41:58

I’m getting “this coupon is already redeemed” on the Kobo code, even though I haven’t actually used it.

2. Lynnd
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 08:47:11

@Spinster: I got that message as well when I used their old browser. It was O.K. with their new version. Bought 3 Susanna Kearsley books and the Jade Temptress. Thanks Jane.

3. DS
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 08:57:31

Loved To Say Nothing of the Dog. I would also note that Three Men In a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome is available for free on Amazon and also from Project Gutenberg if Willis’ book inspires you to try it out as well.

4. Zoe York
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 09:02:46

Sweet code! I bought M is for Menage by Emily Ryan-Davis (Carina), and I’m trolling for more now. May gorge myself on what parts of Vivian Arend’s backlist I haven’t already read.

5. Nicole
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 09:20:49

I love you guys so much.

6. Sirius
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 09:39:35

Love well done time travel, so ‘To say nothing of the dog” is looking at me. Thanks.

7. Alison
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 09:42:39

OMG – fantastic offer and I have filled my boots. Three Grace Burrowes, two Carolyn Cranes, one Devon Monk, one Kelley Armstrong, one Tiffany Clare, one Nastasza Waters and one Sarah Maclean all for less than £5!! I was too mean to buy most of these at the Amazon price (£4+ each most of them) but whoo hoo

8. Jewel Court
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 09:52:28

Let me put in another plug for To Say Nothing of the Dog. I’ve been pushing it on other people for years. So clever and charming- it affectionately skewers Victorian society and the understated romance is very sweet.
    After reading this, I went on a total Connie Willis binge. A word of caution about the Domesday Book- set lots of time aside to cry.

9. Katie
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:07:47

I just wanted to point out that the Georgette Heyer books are eligible for the Kobo promo code. I’m trying REALLY hard not to buy her whole darn catalog.

Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:08:06

Summer Girl, Winter Boy by Barbara Elsborg
    Hard to Love by Kendall Ryan
    Resisting Her by Kendall Ryan
    Evernote: How to Master Evernote in 1 Hour
    There is No Light in Darkness
    Beg Tease Submit – Sequence One (Songs of… CD Reiss
    Fighting To Forgive JB Salsbury
    Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
    New England Soup Factory Cookbook – More Than…
    The Best Stews in the World – 300 Satisfying
    Sunday Soup – A Year’s Worth of
    The Everything Thai Cookbook: From Pad Thai
    Everyday Thai Cooking – Quick and Easy Family
    One Pot Greats: Delicious One Pot Recipes
    Worlds Apart
    Stinger by Mia Sheridan
    A Girl By Any Other Name by MK Schiller
    TRAGIC: Rook and Ronin, #1 – Rook and Ronin… JA Huss
    Jake Undone by Penelope Ward
    Thinking in Systems – A Primer
    Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic…
    The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an
    The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook – Home
    Trouble by Samantha Young
    Text by Cambra Herbert

I’m interested in buying more…

11. Evaine
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:19:03

I went nuts! I bought books 25 books including books by SE Jakes, Jordan L. Hawk, Marie Sexton, Amy Lane, Moira Rogers, Courtney Milan, Kate McMurray, Rhys Ford, Rowan Speedwell, Josephine Myles, Elizabeth Bear and Josh Lanyon. Cost me around $15 and they were all books that I had on my wishlist. I am breathless with delight! :)

12. Erin Satie
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:31:00

I’ll bite–I really want to see what other people have bought to see if I’m missing any gems.

Cookbooks really are an amazing deal. I got:
    How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
    Put ‘em Up: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook by Sherri Brooks Vinton
    Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff Rinne Allen

A couple travel guides.

A fair bit of erotica. Books by Charlotte Stein, Cara McKenna, December Quinn (that would be Stacia Kane’s old pen name), Olivia Cunning.

Romance from Samhain & Harlequin: The Corrupt Comte by Edie Harris, Aftershock by Jill Sorenson, Rogue’s Possession by Jeffe Kennedy, Come Unto These Yellow Sands by Josh Lanyon

Trad-pubbed books that have been self-published:
    Laura Kinsale’s For My Lady’s Heart
    City of Bones by Martha Wells

Random stuff that’s been sitting on my wishlist forever: The Laurentine Spy by Emily Gee, Inescapable by Amy A. Bartol.

Two research books:
    Women Who Made Money – Women partners in British Private Banks 1752-1906 by Margaret Daws
    Crime and Society in England by Clive Emsley

Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers

13. Malin
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:40:25

Awesome code. Bought the first two Blood of Eden books by Julie Kagawa, as I’ve heard good things about them. Filled up on all the highly rated Laura Kinsale books that I hadn’t read already, and am generally really upset that I don’t read German, as pretty much every author I’ve searched for, is available in German translation.

14. Evaine
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:42:37

And I caved. Went back and got Mockingbird and The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig. I. Must. Stop. *LOL*

15. Kristi
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:47:18

After Math, Redesigned, the first three Cast In books…
    and then it stopped me from using it. :( I tried credit card (was already using Paypal) and nothing worked. Boo

16. Zoe York
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 10:58:20

I went back for more…Carolyn Crane, Daisy Harris, Courtney Milan’s backlist that I hadn’t read yet, Inez Kelley!

17. Alyssa
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:15:15

Bought two books before it wouldn’t let me use the code anymore. Bummer. :(

18. Jill Myles
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:24:02

Ditto – 2 books and I was locked out. ARGH.

19. Shanna Swendson
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:35:27

To Say Nothing of the Dog is perhaps my favorite book of all time. It’s got it all — time travel, mystery, romance, Victoriana, humor and a dash of WWII. I think I re-read it about once a year, whenever I need a smile.

20. Lindsay
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:36:55

Oh wow, what a fantastic coupon, thank you for sharing it!

I grabbed a bunch of nonfiction because they so rarely go on sale, the most expensive of which was Dead Mountain (The Dyatlov Pass book I think came up here a few weeks/months ago?) for $2. I also grabbed Bollywood and the Beast, Tea with the Black Dragon, The Dom Project, and some Vivian Arend books I had been waiting on. My wishlist thanks you, my wallet thanks you, my TBR pile is groaning.

21. Colleen
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:37:11

So apparently this code was only good for a couple of hours this morning. I just tried using it and kept getting a message that the promotion is not active. I thought maybe I was using it for books that don’t accept the offer so I tried it on a couple of books a friend of mine purchased using the code about an hour ago (it’s 9:00am PT so around 8:00am PT) and I get the same message.

22. Lada
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:56:44

I also got the “unable to use promo code” even though I made sure to select books after hitting the “eligible for promo code” button on the side. Any ideas?

23. Karenmc
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:58:15

I also can’t use the code (10:00am PT), trying from two different browsers. Sigh… However, I DID snag the Willis book and am looking forward to it as soon as I finish another TT, Outlander (which I’m skimming because it really isn’t clicking with me).

24. Lada
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 11:58:59

@Colleen: Ahh…teach me to not check out DA first thing!

25. Tabs
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 12:10:58

I… went crazy and bought like 50 books. And I had already bought 20 on friday with a 75%er.

I bought a lot of fantasy romance and paranormals as I really don’t have a large backlog in those genres and being able to scoop up an entire series for less than $2 was to good to pass up. I bought a lot of new-to-me authors like Marie Hall, Hailey Edwards, Jeffe Kennedy, Martha Wells, and Zoe Archer.

Though not new-to-me authors, I bought all of Vivian Arend’s shifter books, a bunch of backlist Moira Rogers series, Joanna Wylde’s scifi novellas (in one collection!), all of Thea Harrison’s Elder Races novellas, and got myself completely up to date with Shannon Stacey’s Kowalski books.

I also pretty much raided my wishlist and picked up every random Carina and Samhain titles on there.

26. Bamaclm
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 12:23:35

Y’all broke it lol.

27. Shiloh Walker
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 13:40:24

LOL…I went to try and it ain’t working for me.

28. Darlynne
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 14:04:08

Apparently the 90% off code has been available since 2/25, at least according to where I usually look for these codes. Is there a more consistent way to find them, a newsletter to subscribe to, something other than yet another website to check every day? Because 90% off–even multi-use 50% off–could have given my credit card a real workout.

29. Amy R
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 14:08:36

I bought 28 books before it stopped working for me. Most of the books I purchased were ones I needed to complete a series or a whole series.

30. MaryC
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 14:44:38

B&N has To Say Nothing Of The Dog for $1.99 too.

31. Liz Mc2
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 14:57:07

I’m afraid to say this publicly in case it turns out to be a dream, but I was able to use the coupon on the last 5 books in Dorothy Dunnett’s Lymond Chronicles, even though they are from Penguin. I am particularly thrilled about this because Penguin has jacked up the prices on these e-books to $20-25 dollars (I guess because they re-released the series in hardcover). Also, the Kindle prices are much lower for some reason (like, $10 lower). All of this makes me so mad that I feel extra smug. Backlist e-books, even great ones, should not be priced that way.

32. Katie
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 15:42:39

So, here’s my haul…

Cindy Spencer Pape / Gaslight Chronicles #1, 4, 5, 6
    Moira Rogers / Bloodhounds #4
    Bec McMaster / London Steampunk #2, 3
    Jennifer Ashley / Regency Pirates #1, 2, 3, and Shifters Unbound #2.5
    Victoria Dahl / A Rake’s Guide to Pleasure
    Anna Campbell / Days of Rakes and Roses
    Georgette Heyer / Venetia, Nonesuch, Reluctant Widow, Talisman Ring, Corinthian, Unknown Ajax
    Louise Penny / The Hangman
    Ruth Downie / Medicus
    Oliver Poltzsch / The Dark Monk
    Eric D. Knapp / Murder Most Fowl

And I was about to go crazy with the Courtney Milan when the coupon stopped working. Still, I think this will tide me over for a *little* while.

33. P. Kirby
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 16:34:22

Yippee! I’ve been eyeing the Connie Willis and the Mercy Thompson titles, but both were too pricey for my cheap self. Good thing my TBR pile is virtual, because by now its height is no doubt violating OSHA safety standards.

34. Hannah
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 16:44:42

I found out about the Kobo coupon yesterday and rounded out my collection of the Phryne Fisher mystery series and bought a few HQs as well.

35. MaryK
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 16:50:44

I saw the code last night on Twitter and fortunately didn’t procrastinate. I ended up with 10 books for under $5. I’m a little jealous because apparently it worked on some publishers I assumed it wouldn’t work on. These codes are great for books you’re on the fence about.

36. EGS
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 16:51:01

Man, I tried the Kobo coupon in multiple browsers with multiple books and it kept saying “unable to use promo code.” Sigh.

37. Avierra
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 17:35:55

No joy with the code here, either.

38. RLJ
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 17:40:49

Does anyone know if the code works in Canada?

39. Noodles
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 18:03:00

The Kobo coupon works in different countries in different ways. The Kobo user agreement stipulates that you use your actual address when you purchase from Kobo. That address determines which store you see. That being said, folks “visit” other countries temporarily, allowing the coupon to be used on a bigger selection of books.

40. Brian
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 19:52:06

@RLJ: @Avierra: @EGS: The code died earlier today.

@Darlynne: Best place I know is to pay attention to the Kobo codes thread in the deals section at MobileRead.

41. Zoe York
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 19:59:21

I’m Canadian, and it worked for me until early afternoon.

42. Evaine
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 20:05:05

Yep, another Canadian here and it worked fine for me until just past noon EST, I guess. 27 books later for me. *LOL*

43. samantha
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 20:56:21

I picked up 9 books in total. After 3 I got a fraud alert from my bank due to small transactions on my debit card so I switched to Paypal.

Cheapest book was Liberty Strong part 4 for 10 cents. Most expensive was the George Orwell Diaries for $1.37. I was also able to pick up both books in the Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for $1.97 total.

44. Heather Willis
    Mar 04, 2014 @ 07:55:20

The kobo code is not working in Australia. Either because it never did or the validity window has past.

45. Christine
    Mar 04, 2014 @ 10:08:54

I’m in Canada and it didn’t work for me at all, tried it on Sunday, just kept getting an error

46. Alison
    Mar 05, 2014 @ 02:06:50

I just tried again – looks like it has closed – such a pity because it was such a good deal and worked on probably 80% of the books I tried (sigh). Thanks for the tip about Mobileread – I’ll check it out