Daily Deals: Kilts, Starlords, Reunited lovers

Nebula Nights: Love Among the Stars Boxed Set by Veronica ScottNebula Nights: Love Among the Stars Boxed Set by Veronica Scott. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

11 Sci-Fi Romances that’ll sweep you away!

If you like your science fiction blazing with adventure and your space opera spiced with romance, this boxed set is for you. From first contact to battles for survival and love on war-torn planets, this collection from bestselling & award winning authors, including Cathryn Cade, Lyn Brittan, Veronica Scott, Pauline B. Jones and more, will leave you sighing with satisfaction.

Eleven science fiction romance authors band together to provide a boxed set of stories with elements ranging from space marines to cyborgs, time travel, clones and alien adventures. Many of the included stories are the standalone first volume in existing series. The selection includes Escape From Zulaire by Veronica Scott, which recently won a National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award and was the 2014 Reader-nominated DABWAHA entry in PNR/SciFi/F. (Note: These stories are previously published.) Other well known SFR authors in the collection are Lyn Brittan, Cathryn Cade, Pauline B Jones, S. J. Pajonas, C. E. Kilgore and more!/box] AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

What Price Paradise by Katherine AllredWhat Price Paradise
 by Katherine Allred. $ .99 | $1.49

From the Jacket Copy:

All his life Tate McCullom has been taught to be responsible, and he is the very model of what a respectable man should be. Until the night he gets drunk and sleeps with a woman he barely knows.
Now, six weeks later, she’s pregnant, alone, and broke. Once again, Tate must take responsibility for his actions, and makes plans to marry his child’s mother. There’s only one problem…he has to tell his fiancée.

Abby Grayson hasn’t had an easy life. As the daughter of the town whore, people either avoid her or think she’s like her mother. For Abby, it’s a struggle just to fill her belly and keep a roof over her head.

Loneliness and a secret yearning for this man she thought she’d never have led her to spend the night with Tate. But the last thing she needs is a baby when she can barely take care of herself. Desperate, but too proud to ask for help, she finally agrees to accept a job from Tate ? the job of being his wife. Now she has almost everything she’s ever dreamed of.

Unfortunately, only one thing will gain her Tate’s love – his realization that the night he spent with her was no drunken accident. It was a last-ditch attempt to win the woman he really wanted.

Welp, the blurb says he’s a cheater. Can you get over this? I haven’t read Allred but I know she wrote The Sweet Gum Tree which was super similar to one of my favorite Deborah Smith books “A Place to Call Home.” I haven’t been able to read The Sweet Gum Tree because of the similarities but maybe I’ll give this a try.
AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Devil Wears Kilts by Suzanne EnochThe Devil Wears Kilts by Suzanne Enoch. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

The Price of Passion…

On a mission to rescue his runaway sister from the lure of flowery compliments and a useless lot of satin-clad scalawags disguised by their snooty titles, Ranulf MacLawry, Marquis of Glengask, has roared into British society like a storm across the Scottish Highlands. But he’s about to find out that satin has its appeal, especially when it covers the curves of Miss Lady Charlotte Hanover—whose tongue is as sharp as her skin is soft…

…is Pure Pleasure

Lady Charlotte Hanover has had her fill of hot-headed men, having lost her fiancé in an utterly unnecessary duel. When did brawn ever triumph over brains? And yet there is something solid and appealing about the brash Highlander who’s as dangerous in the ballroom as in battle. Sometimes bigger really is better… in The Devil Wears Kilts.

Is Outlander on Starz going to revive historical romances? Or at least kilt related historical romances? And how badly are Scottish historians groaning at Gabaldon’s historical inaccuracies that will now undoubtedly be seen as fact?

As for this book, it’s the first in a series and PW say it’s a delightful romance and “The constant sparring between Ranulf and Charlotte is a riveting prelude to a highly sensual and deeply emotional seduction that will keep readers riveted. “

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

My Skylar by Penelope WardMy Skylar by Penelope Ward. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

A USA TODAY Bestseller. This book is recommended for readers over the age of 18 due to strong language and explicit sexual content.

From the author of the #1 bestselling romance, Jake Undone, comes a friends-to-lovers story of longing, passion, betrayal and redemption…with a twist that will rip your heart out.

Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever.

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me…which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late.

My Skylar is a STANDALONE story of 99,000 words and a companion to the novel, Jake Undone. It does NOT need to be read in conjunction with any other book.

I bought and read this a month or so ago. It’s a decent story if not a little melodramatic at times (although this is romance and melodrama is a staple). But it’s about reunited lovers and I’m a sucker for that storyline.
AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Darlynne
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 11:48:23

“As the daughter of the town whore.” Really, why do we keep doing this? Not going near this one.

2. hapax
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 13:49:01

@Darlynne: Not to mention, “as the daughter of the town whore,” she didn’t even learn to use contraception or insist the dude wear a condemn? She doesn’t even consider terminating the pregnancy?

A cheating, irresponsible hero, and a stupid, irresponsible heroine. The author has to have an awesome explanation for me to tolerate Surprise!Pregnancy! in a contemporary, and it doesn’t sound like this one has one.

3. jessP
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 14:52:04

Miss Lady Charlotte Hanover? Her first name is Miss? Or Lady?

4. Melisse Aires
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 15:38:23

All excited to see the Nebula Nights Bundle on Dear Author!

5. MaryK
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 15:47:04

I got the SFR box set. I’ve wanted to try Greta van der Rol and this is a cheap way to do it.

6. Janine
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 18:46:45

To judge from the blurb, the premise of What Price Paradise sounds similar to that of LaVyrle Spencer’s Separate Beds. In the Spencer, the hero also had to tell his fiancee when he found out the girl he’d had a one night stand with was pregnant. (Although he wasn’t exactly a cheater in the Spencer– it happened during two week breakup with the fiancee). Then the hero and heroine get married, and she also has tough past, though in the case of that book, it’s her father that’s the reason (he’s a violent alcoholic). So the books don’t sound exactly the same, but still, given the issue with The Sweet Gum Tree, I wonder how close the similarities are.

7. jody
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 18:49:39

Lots of Roberta Gellis’ books are 3.99 and under on Amazon; not sure if the prices are matched elsewhere. The first six books in the Roselynde series are included as well as the first two Madeleine de Batardes.

8. Tabs
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 19:32:32

I’m reading What Price Paradise right now and it’s not bad but the heroine lacks personality and the hero has a white-knight complex.

I wouldn’t consider the hero a cheater. He and his fiance were constantly on and off and were decidedly “off” both when he slept with and then married the heroine. The fiance so far is more chronically selfish than villainous but that could always change.

9. Kaetrin
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 21:04:00

I’ve been wondering if the TV show of Outlander will correct at least some of the historical inaccuracies? Gabaldon has been at all the press for it so I suppose no-one was brave enough to ask the question but

I did see one thing where Ron D. Moore was talking about how he was surprised that the tartan of the time was muted and not the bright scarlets etc, that became popular in (I think?) Victorian times. I’ve just finished a re-listen of Outlander and I noticed that when Jamie and Claire were married, Jamie was wearing a bright scarlet plaid – I wonder if the wedding in the TV show will be different and he will be wearing more muted colours?

@hapax: maybe the condom broke?

10. msilk
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 06:38:27

Just got the boxset, thanks!

11. AnneS.
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 07:48:54

I believe that the Scottish Tourism Board and economists are happy about the Starz production, since there has been an increase in tourism already and jobs created (as well as a new studio constructed) for the production of Outlander. So maybe the historians aren’t happy, but other Scots seem to welcome the production. I imagine that if Scotland can overcome all the historical inaccuracies in Braveheart, it can handle Outlander.

@Kaetrin – It is my understanding that a Gaelic coach was on-set and that inaccuracies in the Gaelic in the first book have been corrected in the series. Also, that the tartan being used is being produced in Scotland using plant-based dyes, so it will be muted in color and as close to authentic as possible.

I’ve seen the first episode and overall, I liked it. I also like the books — I’ve been reading them since the early 1990s. I’m no historian, so the inaccuracies don’t bother me. If I want facts — I read non-fiction.

12. Anne
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:20:41

Totally agree with @hapax. Apart from protecting against the risk of unwanted pregnancy, why aren’t both of these jerks protecting themselves & their partners against HIV, HPV & other STDs?