DAILY DEALS: To Kill a Mockingbird finally in digital, Stephanie Plum...

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. $ 3.95 at Google | Amazon

From the Jacket Copy:

Overview
Lawyer Atticus Finch defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee’s classic, Puliter Prize-winning novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white woman. Through the eyes of Atticus’s children, Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unanswering honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930′s.

This is the first time the book is available-legitimately-in ebook format. The movie is also low priced at $2.99 over at Google Play. If you pre ordered this, return and rebuy. Amazon doesn’t do a low price guarantee for Kindle books as it does for print books. One forum poster’s advice is to never purchase a pre order.

Deal is available at

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Four to Score Janet EvanovichFour to Score by Janet Evanovich. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Stephanie Plum, Trenton, New Jersey’s favorite pistol-packing, condom-carrying bounty hunter, is back—and on the trail of a revenge-seeking waitress who’s skipped bail. With then help of 73-year-old Grandma Mazur, ex-hooker Lula, a transvestite musician named Sally Sweet, and the all-too-hospitable, all-too-sexy Joe Morelli, Stephanie might just catch her woman. Then again, with more mishaps than there are exits on the Jersey Turnpike—including murders, firebombs, and Stephanie’s arch-rival bounty hunter chasing after the same fugative—Stephanie better watch her back big-time if she wants to live to crack this case.

A number of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum books are on sale between $1.99 and $2.99. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason. My guess is that Google is discounting them and Amazon is price matching.

Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, No. 4) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
High Five (Stephanie Plum, No. 5) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, No. 6) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, No. 10) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $1.99
Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, No. 12) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum, No. 13) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $1.99
Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, No. 14) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
Finger Licking Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, No. 15) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99
Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum, No. 16) (Stephanie Plum Novels) $2.99

I stopped reading this series at book 8 and from everything I’ve read that is absolutely the right decision for me. I have real doubts that Evanovich is writing these books anymore. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s outlining them and her daughter is writing them.

Deal is available at

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Rock HerRock Her by Rachel Cross. $ .99 (through July 11)

From the Jacket Copy:

She’s a small-town nurse who had to grow up fast. He’s rock music’s most infamous guitarist. When a day at the beach turns life or death, their worlds collide, and no one will ever be the same.

Kate Gibson’s life has been all about family. She spent her high school years taking care of her dying mother, and her college years raising her younger sister.

Alec Sawyer’s past was an excess of everything: drugs, parties, rock, sex, and money. His downfall had been long, spectacular, and public.

Thrown together by fate and the media, Kate and Alec find themselves falling in love. But dating in the spotlight has its downside, and some secrets are better left in the dark.

Sexy summer beach read with an opposites-attract premise. The hero’s fame and notoriety are a fun factor, but the author doesn’t shy away from his demons and the dark side of the spotlight either, lending a lot of emotional heft to the story. The novel also just won the Rom Con 2014 award for favorite category romance. Middling reviews say the book has either too much sex or too much action but it’s a cute read.
AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Color of a Dream by Julianne MacLeanThe Color of a Dream by Julianne MacLean. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

From USA Today bestselling author Julianne MacLean comes an emotionally charged tale of a young woman who has fought hard to survive a heart transplant, but soon finds that her new heart is engaged in another battle altogether…

Nadia Carmichael has had a lifelong run of bad luck. It begins on the day she is born, when she is separated from her identical twin sister and put up for adoption. Twenty-seven years later, not long after she is finally reunited with her twin and is expecting her first child, Nadia falls victim to a mysterious virus and requires a heart transplant.

Now recovering from the surgery with a new heart, Nadia is haunted by a recurring dream that sets her on a path to discover the identity of her donor. Her efforts are thwarted, however, when the father of her baby returns to sue for custody of their child. It’s not until Nadia learns of his estranged brother Jesse that she begins to explore the true nature of her dreams, and discover what her new heart truly needs and desires…

There aren’t many detailed reviews so I can’t say whether this is worth picking up.

Deal is available at

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. SAO
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:27:49

I thought the later Evanovich novels just hit the same familiar themes. The dog, the Grandma, the cross-dresser are interesting and fun once or twice. After a few books, they are a schtick and replace plot and characterization.

I read a Stephanie Evanovich (from the library, I didn’t look too hard at the author. I was hoping to get a new Evanovich without the stale themes of the Plum novels.) It had two nice people bumbling around in their everyday lives. No real reason to get together or not. And I really didn’t care.

2. SAO
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:34:21

I think it’s time to put TKAM out to pasture. Atticus Finch tells his kids that Walter Cunningham (a leader of the lynch mob) is a nice man if you get to know him. Who just happens to be homicidally racist, (as Malcolm Gladwell observed).

In several places, Atticus makes excuses for the people of his town, who convict a man they know to be innocent because he is black and it would be rude to suggest his white accuser might not be telling the whole truth.

Maybe when it was written, Atticus standing up to the attitudes of the town and actually defending the man the court appointed him to defend was radical and brave, but now, our society needs more people who stand up to the racists around them and don’t excuse their actions or suggest they are good people, if you got to know them (and your skin is pale enough).

3. Dee
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:35:29

Amazon is doing low price guarantee on Ebooks now – the last few I’ve pre-ordered including TKAM and the new Gabaldon were more expensive when I ordered than what I paid when released

4. Sydneysider
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:37:52

I stopped at the 4th Plum, I think I tried to get into 5 (or 6? can’t remember) and just couldn’t. The first 4 were brilliant though.

5. Sydneysider
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:39:16

@SAO: I agree. This is a book I remember reading in school as a kid and liking at the time, but then reading as an adult and finding many aspects to be problematic.

6. Elaina
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:59:22

TKAM very much fits into the white savior complex, something that you still see all the time (The Blindside, anyone?).

7. Janet
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 14:59:51

I stopped reading about Plum when the vacation was over and nothing was really explained about what happened. I didn’t even finish the book I was so frustrated. I forget what book that was.

Is the daughter the one who wrote about the big girl panties or something like that?

8. Janhavi
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 15:30:50

Wait what?? Kindle books don’t have pre order price guarantees? I was completely convinced they do.

But now that I look at the policy in detail, yup, no pre order price guarantee on Kindle books. I undoubtedly could save money by waiting till post release discounts, of course, and pre ordering does have a lot of convenience. But apparent no price guarantee :(

9. Lori
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 17:08:07

To Kill A Mockingbird, in my opinion, is one of the greatest novel’s ever written. It’s about the deep south in the 1930s and was written in 1960, 3 years before Martin Luther King Jr’s I Have a Dream speech.

To hold it as a mirror to our time and not the time it was written doesn’t do it justice. It doesn’t excuse racism, it fights it. It doesn’t excuse prejudice, it holds it up and says it isn’t right. It was revolutionary book for the time and still holds up as brilliantly written and deeply felt.

No, it isn’t a good measure for 2014. But for 1960 it helped change the landscape of America’s fight to change its racist society. And again, it’s beautifully written and truly, possibly, one of the greatest American novels ever.

10. SAO
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 17:33:12

@Lori
    Maybe, but the middle schoolers reading it today don’t know much about the 1960s or the 1930s and I can’t see the average school discussing racism in recent American history. As a book to teach Middle School students about moral choices, it’s no longer a great pick unless you discuss so much more than what is generally discussed.

I read it as a Middle Schooler in a town not far from Bussing in Boston. We managed to avoid any discussion of racism, especially any racial issues occurring a few miles away and frequently featuring on the front page of the Boston Globe. “Long ago and far away, things like that don’t happen nowadays.” (Dylan, but I always hear it as sung by Odetta).

11. Marianne McA
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 18:07:25

@SAO – I’ve only read TKAM once, so I’m working on dodgy recollection here and, not being American, I had sectarianism to the forefront of my mind as I read it – but that ambivalence was a strength of the book to me, because I felt it reflected a truth about living in a divided community – that we can know that someone’s views or actions are unacceptable, but still feel they’re in another way good people.
    I remember being struck by it at the time, because it seemed to articulate that uncomfortable truth so clearly – it was almost shocking, but shocking in the best way, where a story makes you think hard.
    Based on that memory, I’d vote for keeping the book out of the pasture – it might tell an unpalatable truth, but it shouldn’t be penalised for doing so.
    (Though, as I say, some time since I read it. I might feel differently now.)

12. jody
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 19:22:31

No, perhaps TKAM shouldn’t be a middle school book any longer, but oh my. It’s a spot on vignette of Southern small town life of the era. My mother was Scout’s age, her father was a lawyer in a very small Southern town, and she always claimed she knew everyone on the book–the ladies who powdered but didn’t rouge, Boo Radley, the inventiveness of the games children played before XBoxes and TV–but the line she quoted most often was “Stand up, Scout. Your Daddy’s passing by.”

13. Fiona McGier
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 20:07:22

Whenever I’ve taught TKAM, or subbed in classes where the kids are reading it, I always ask them if they know what a “recluse” is. Then I explain that Harper Lee became one because of the outrage of the citizens of her town who were pissed that she exposed their “dirty laundry” for all of the world to see. I tell them it’s like one of them writing a book about modern high schools, using their friends as the basis for the characters, then their friends read it and aren’t happy with the way they’re portrayed. I try to give them the flavor and tone of the time, and we discuss Jim Crow laws, and how the “letter of the law” was observed, mostly, but people’s attitudes didn’t change due to laws. It took the Civil Rights Movement and time…lots of time.

I also ask if they know when the last law was thrown off the books that made it illegal for black and white people to marry. They’re shocked to find out it was in 1967! And that it had to go all the way to the Supreme Court before Mildred and Richard Loving could live in peace.

So much depends on how you teach this book. To just read it as literature, or to watch the movie only, doesn’t begin to do it justice, nor does it respect the minds of the students. They are eager to learn about stuff that interests them…it’s up to the teacher to be sure they’re interested in discussing human rights issues. Of course in some towns, that means you won’t have a job for long…or some states!

14. MikiS
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 23:30:44

@Fiona McGier: Even though I liked most of my teachers, I still wish I’d had a teacher like you back when I was in school.

15. Ros
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 07:13:54

I can’t begin to imagine how you would teach TKAM without discussing racism.

16. wikkidsexycool
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 07:54:46

@Lori:

“But for 1960 it helped change the landscape of America’s fight to change its racist society.”

That’s a nice sentiment Lori, but as someone who was around back then, the book has taken on a mythology that imho, it doesn’t deserve. While it will always be considered a classic, works by African American writers who actually lived and experienced the time period first hand often get ignored in search of a feel good premise and ending. It’s hard to believe such things went on in America, and the reality is much darker than this YA novel. The focus of this book, as with many others that deal with racism is still how all this ultimately affects a white family and their community.

I’d like to add a couple links to the discussion. One concerns arguments over the book itself, and the other has actual testimonies on how some minorities feel when books like TKAM are taught in class. It’s an older link, but the comments section is an eye opener for those who wonder just what some minority students and also white students feel, even when the instructor has the best of intentions. It’s also important to note that the author of this blog identifies himself as white. I’m only listing one link in this post so that it doesn’t get caught in the spam filter, but the title of the blog post that deals with the book itself is “Warmly embrace racist novel (to kill a mockingbird)” which can be found in the right column of the site under blog archives.

Here’s the blog post with people relaying how they felt when classic novels on race were taught in class:

17. Jenns
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 13:05:41

@Fiona McGier: I second what MikiS said!

18. Fiona McGier
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 16:32:22

Unfortunately school districts/department chairs never agree with you, though students always do. I’ve been subbing for 11 years for whatever reasons, and figure I’m aged out of any consideration for a job teaching English. I talk with kids about things they think about and want to know about. I had one Muslim student tell me I brought her to tears when I railed on in a study hall about the hypocrisy I saw in my hometown on-line newspaper, when someone posted a link to a Chicago college student’s video showing lots of Muslims dancing and enjoying Pharrell’s “Happy”. The abusive, incendiary comments were a travesty when you realize they were made by folks who consider themselves Evangelical Christians, holy folks of Jesus, yet their mean-spirited diatribes against people who have the gall to worship differently was shocking. She said she’d never heard such an ardent defense of the tolerance that the US is supposed to represent, and that I made her proud to be an American.

I treasure those little moments, just waiting for the administration to decide I can’t keep my mouth shut and tell me I’m no longer welcome in their schools.