Daily Deals: Kidnappings, Disappearances, and Retold Fairy Tales

Wild Orchids      by     Karen RobardsWild Orchids by Karen Robards. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Prim mid-western schoolteacher Lora Harding is in for the summer vacation of her life when darkly handsome American Max Maxwell slides into her rented car in steamy Cancun, Mexico and orders her to “drive” at gunpoint. Max and his men break Americans out of Mexican jails for a living, but his latest job has gone horribly wrong and Max is on the run for his life. Kidnapping Lora, Max takes her on a heart-stopping adventure as he races to rejoin his men and get out of the country before the authorities can catch up to him. Feisty Lora fights him every step of the way, and in the midst of saving each other’s lives the two fall madly in love in this blistering novel of romantic suspense by the “mistress of sizzling sensuality” (Romantic Times).

WILD ORCHIDS won Romantic Times’ Reviewers’ Choice Award for Best Contemporary Romantic Novel of the year.

WILD ORCHIDS is listed among Romantic Times’ Top 200 books since 1980.

I think I loved this book but I can’t remember so of course I bought it.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Nemesis: A Novel      by     Jo NesboNemesis by Jo Nesbo. $ 2.99 / 2.49 at BN

From the Jacket Copy:

Gripping and surprising, Nemesis is a nail-biting thriller from one of the biggest stars in crime fiction.

Grainy closed-circuit television footage shows a man walking into an Oslo bank and putting a gun to a cashier’s head. He tells the young woman to count to twenty-five. When the robber doesn’t get his money in time, the cashier is executed, and two million Norwegian kroner disappear without a trace. Police Detective Harry Hole is assigned to the case.

While Hole’s girlfriend is away in Russia, an old flame decides to get in touch. Former girlfriend and struggling artist Anna Bethsen invites Hole to dinner, and he can’t resist a visit. But the evening ends in an all too familiar way as Hole awakens with a thundering headache, a missing cell phone, and no memory of the past twelve hours. That same morning, Anna is found shot dead in her bed. Hole begins to receive threatening e-mails. Is someone trying to frame him for this unexplained death? Meanwhile, the bank robberies continue with unparalleled savagery.

As the death toll continues to mount, Hole becomes a prime suspect in a criminal investigation led by his longtime adversary Tom Waaler and Waaler’s vigilante police force. Racing from the cool, autumnal streets of Oslo to the steaming villages of Brazil, Hole is determined to absolve himself of suspicion by uncovering all the information needed to crack both cases. But the ever-threatening Waaler is not finished with his old archenemy quite yet.

I bought this back in 2012 according to Amazon and I’m pretty sure I paid for $9.99 for it. Ned really enjoys these Swedish thrillers.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Heart of a Desert Warrior      By: Lucy MonroeHeart of a Desert Warrior by Lucy Monroe. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

The sheikh’s last challenge?

Stepping off his private jet in his designer suit, Sheikh Asad returns to his kingdom ready to secure his legacy. For beneath the starched white shirt beats the heart of a desert warrior!

Iris Carpenter barely recognizes the man standing before her. He’s more magnificent than he was six years ago and even more dangerous. Especially when the searing heat of his eyes burns hotter than the fierce desert sun.

Iris can resist all she likes, but Asad knows it’s just a matter of time before the flame-haired temptress is back in his bed-where she belongs!

If you enjoyed this Harlequin Presents story by Lucy Monroe, don’t miss her tempting new title, One Night Heir!

I have in my Lucy Monroe memory bank that her heroines cry a lot. But then, probably the heroes have driven them to it.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Enchanted: Erotic Bedtime Stories For Women By: Nancy MadoreEnchanted by Nancy Madore. $ 2.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Allow yourself to be drawn into a fantasy world like no other…where a beautiful princess is seduced into a love triangle with a handsome prince and her winsome maid…where a mysterious gentleman’s young bride is deliciously disciplined for her unchecked curiosity…where a naive daughter is married off to a beast of a man whose carnal appetites awaken her budding desire….

With a unique and decidedly adult twist on thirteen classic fairy tales, Nancy Madore intrigues and arouses with her titillating, sizzling anthology of erotic stories guaranteed to keep you up late into the night.

You’ll never look at fairy tales the same way again.

These are fairy tales retold as erotica. I don’t think that the stories are very romantic, although some may be. And, as with any collection of stories, some are better than others (even though all are written by the same author).

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

1. Lady Jaye
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:14:08

Max Maxwell?
    Max as in Maximilian? or
    Max as in Maxwell?

Maxwell Maxwell?

2. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:18:39

The Robards book looks like it hits my trope buttons so I hit my one click button. It looks like it could be a little bit of Romancing the Stone-esque. *crosses fingers*

3. Fiona
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:26:41

@Lady Jaye:

I was thinking the same thing. “Max Maxwell? Whaaat? Whyyy?”

4. KatieF
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:43:53

You may be in luck @Gwen Hayes! The reviews for this on Amazon are all over the map, but the most helpful review gives it 4 1/2 stars and says “I thought this was an extremely fast-paced adventure chalked full of villians and similar to ‘Romancing the Stone’ with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from the 1980’s.”

5. Linda Winfree
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:55:07

Monroe is one of my favorite HP authors. I like that her characters sound and think like real people . Plus, she gives good grovel when it is called for.

Somehow I’d missed this one, so thanks for the heads up on the deal.

6. Cervenka
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 14:56:20

If I may suggest a correction to the description of the Harry Hole book (Nemesis): it’s Norwegian, not Swedish.

7. Jen
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 15:22:33

While looking up the Karen Robards book, I saw that another of hers, “Morning Song,” is also on sale for $0.99. I haven’t read either and just bought both.

She’s a hit-or-miss author for me… IIRC, I’ve really enjoyed some of her books, but some of the romantic suspense novels were just too much. Wasn’t there one that involved a serial killer, written from his POV, who tortured people and burned a dog alive? Too much. Too, too much.

But that’s all entirely off-topic! As long as there are no homeless people or dogs tortured in these two, I will be happy for $0.99. :)

8. Anne
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 15:27:36

I’ve read Enchanted by Nancy Madore. I think I even paid near full price for it and didn’t feel bad about that. It would be a no brainer for me at $2.99. Jane’s right, I don’t remember them being terribly romantic, but they are erotic and interesting retellings of fairytales you probably know. I’m a sucker for fairytale stuff and I enjoyed most of them.

9. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 15:44:07

@KatieF: YES!!! Thanks for telling me.

10. Jody W.
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 15:53:18

Hey, don’t knock the double names! I know a doc named Thomas Thomas. He’s pretty cool, though I can’t see him waving a gun around.

11. Ros
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 16:14:05

@Jody W.: I used to have a friend called Alan Allen.

12. Beth
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 16:39:05

Don’t forget Philip Philips

13. Paula
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 17:03:34

Went to college with Andrew Anderson :)
    Maybe his given name was Francis, but his buddies call him after his last name. You know, like Macgyver’s first name was Angus :)

14. Nicole
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 04:05:42

Yeah, maybe the ‘Max’ is a nickname based on the Maxwell? In real life, if I had a duplicate first and last name I would feel embarrassed for my parents.

15. Kaetrin
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 04:54:59

Bought the Robards.

We have a cranio-facial surgeon here by the name of Dr. David David. For realz.

16. Mo
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 09:01:44

Don’t blame all parents for intentionally giving double names. My Dad adopted my older half siblings and the name change resulted in one sister getting matching fist and last names.

17. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 09:26:23

If you have triggers, I rec staying away from the Robards book. By 15%, heroine was still not sure if she was going to be raped by the hero because he used rape as a threat to keep her in line. There was another scene that made him irredeemable to me, and I tend to have a soft spot for anti-heroes. This guy is no hero.

So, fair warning. She spends a lot of time fearing the worst and he manhandles her and treats her poorly so she continues to do so.