Daily Deals: Horses pooping rainbows and other awesome deals

Remember Summer by Elizabeth LowellRemember Summer by Elizabeth Lowell. $ 2.99 Amazon | Google Play

From the Jacket Copy:

The most grueling challenge of Raine Smith’s equestrian career looms before her—the Olympic Games. Little does she realize that she’s about to face greater perils in the arms of a stranger than she’s ever found on the back of her horse.

Cord Elliot is a man trained to deflect disaster and his mission is to ensure that Raine Smith remains untouched by sudden gunfire at the Summer Games. Yet from the moment Raine Meets Cord’s ice-blue glance, she knows he’s more hazardous to her heart than a sniper’s bullet. Falling for a man who answers to the call of intrigue and holds secrets that can never be shared is to endure the broken promises, unexplained absences, and constant danger that come with his profession. But in the fiery passion of irresistible love, a summer to remember seems worth any risk.

There’s something magical about that horse isn’t there? He’s almost pooping rainbows. Almost.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Hombre Elmore LeonardHombre by Elmore Leonard. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

John Russell has been raised as an Apache. Now he’s on his way to live as a white man. But when the stagecoach passengers learn who he is, they want nothing to do with him — until outlaws ride down on them and they must rely on Russell’s guns and his ability to lead them out of the desert. He can’t ride with them, but they must walk with him or die.

It’s Elmore Leonard, right? So you buy it if you love his work. If you don’t, maybe this is a pass.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Only Fear Anne Marie BeckerOnly Fear by Anne Marie Becker. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

After a violent incident with a patient leaves scars on both her mind and body, psychiatrist Dr. Maggie Levine craves isolation. A radio talk show host seems to be the perfect profession, a job where she can help people from a distance while staying safe. When a strange caller begins stalking her on the air and murdering people to get her attention, Maggie realizes she can no longer close herself off from the outside world.

A personal security expert, former Secret Service Agent Ethan Townsend is no stranger to tracking down the most violent monsters of society and bringing them to justice. Still, it will take all of Ethan’s skills to protect his new assignment, the irresistible Maggie, from a man intent on teaching her the ultimate lesson in fear….

86,000 words

At least this is one radio talk show host with an actual degree behind her honorific of doctor. Looks kind of interesting.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Loving Lady Marcia Kieran KramerLoving Lady by Marcia Kieran Kramer. $ 2.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

In the House of Brady, three very lovely girls have hair of gold—and hearts to match—but finding a match among the gentlemen of London is one comedy of errors that could bring down the house…

MARCIA GETS SCHOOLED…

Of the three Brady sisters, Lady Marcia has always seemed the girl most likely to lead a perfectly charmed life. But after a handsome cad breaks her heart, she swears off love and devotes her life to teaching girls at a private school. In spite of her family’s wish for a London debut, Marcia is happy where she is—until terrible news sends her back to the Brady clan…and into the arms of an unexpected suitor.

ON THE SUBJECT OF LOVE

A dark and dashing earl who knows Marcia’s past, Duncan Lattimore is surprised by what a fascinating and independent woman she’s become. Marcia, too, is surprised—by the fiery attraction she feels for Duncan. But why—why—must he be the brother of the scoundrel who broke her heart? Why must Marcia’s rival at school forbid her from seeing him? How can this lady possibly resist this fellow—when they know that it’s much more than a hunch…?

Brady Bunch fan fiction. I never read it, but if it doesn’t have Marcia getting hit in the nose with a croquet ball, it’s just not right.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Caro
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 14:07:41

Remember Summer is a reprint of a 1984 Silhouette release called “Summer Games,” set at the LA Olympics. Most of the action takes place up in Santa Barbara where the Equestrian events were held.

And that cover is certainly…something.

2. LeeF
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 14:15:29

Note to self: must not read about rainbow horse poop when drinking a Coke!

And Brady Bunch fan fic- really?!?

3. MaryK
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 14:26:32

Hombre must be the basis for the Paul Newman movie. I didn’t realize it was a book.

4. Joanna
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 14:43:49

@MaryK: You’re right, one of the older covers shown at Amazon has Newman on it, looks like it’s from the movie! That’s one of his movies I don’t remember ever seeing, I should see if I can find it.

5. JJPP
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 15:26:18

A book about Olympic athletes — that part sounds interesting! I won’t be buying this particular Elizabeth Lowell rainbow-pooping horse book because the reviews don’t make it sound all that great to me. But now I want to keep an eye out for a good Olympic Village romance. (Like the movie Cutting Edge! Fun times.)

6. FD
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 16:00:10

@JJPP: I remember my eyes rolling so hard at the equestrian bits in the Lowell – also the hero’s antics, and this was back in the day when I had more patience with masterful embraces than I do now.
    Have you read International Velvet, the book of the film? There’s (as I recall, having not read it for over a decade and then some) a reasonably decent equestrian Olympics set romance in that.

7. Maggie
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 16:01:37

@JJPP: I remember reading so many news stories about the amount of boning that went on among the athletes at Olympic Village during the last Summer Games that I’m thinking any such romance should be heavy on the erotica element.

8. Carolyne
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 16:41:46

I don’t think I’d actually read Brady Bunch fanfic unless someone left it on the seat on an Amtrak train on a long cross-country trip… but I love that I live in a world where Regency-era Brady-fic can exist. All things seem possible in such a world, even rainbow-pooping ponies. I have to admit to enjoying the films that put the family in their own weird little time warp, so who knows, maybe this book would make me chuckle if written the right way.

I don’t know much Brady Bunch lore, but the croquet ball line was Coke-spewingly funny.

9. JJPP
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 16:59:49

@Maggie: LOL! You’re probably right.

“Sven never expected to find love that night. But from the moment his pec brushed against the muscular thigh of the raven-haired discus thrower, he knew that this was no ordinary orgy.”

@FD: Thanks for the rec!

10. Ros
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 17:14:46

@JJPP: Jilly Cooper’s classic Riders culminates in the LA Olympics, again in the equestrian sports. It’s totally brilliant, I think, though it is more saga than classic genre romance.

11. Raven Ames
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 17:32:45

@Ros: I love, love, love Jilly Cooper – and Rupert Campbell-Black, of course;) Definitely more women’s fiction than genre romance, but plenty of HEA and her full-length novels have a cast of reoccurring characters that always makes me feel that they actually exist.

12. Kate Pearce
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 17:59:47

I seem to remember the Elizabeth Lowell is one of the classic hero treats her like dirt until the big “I love you, you little fool bit” right at the end.

And yes, if you want real Olympic show jumper shenanigans you have to read about Rupert Campbell Black. He made a great impression on my teenage mind which is totally un-erasable. :)

13. Jayne
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 18:48:05

@Joanna: It’s a very good, gritty movie with a dark ending.

14. Briar
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 19:33:55

I love me some Jilly Cooper, but RCB beat a horse. (That was Riders, yes?) Unforgiveable.

15. Meri
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 02:11:49

@Briar: But the horse got its revenge ;)

RCB doesn’t get a HEA in Riders, and he does show character growth over the course of the books and becomes kind of a good guy, in his own way.

As I remember it, Riders ends at the LA Olympics but for some reason they are in 1980, and the 1976 Olympics are held in Bogota. I can’t think of any good Olympic romances, although from what I’ve read, the Olympic village is more erotic novella material than romance novel one.