Daily Deals: Heyer, Box set, Beauty and the Beast, and a...

Faro's Daughter by Georgette HeyerFaro’s Daughter by Georgette Heyer. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

A sparkling Regency romance from the queen of the genre

Beautiful Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt’s elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter.

Max Ravenscar, uncle to her young suitor, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion…

Emma Leigh at AAR gave this an A grade. I want to say that I read this book but I can’t recall.

“Writers should get a clue from Heyer when it comes to writing heroines. Deb is fiery and witty without being a harpy, and utterly charming and sweet without being a coquette. She has an unfortunate tendency to get herself into scrapes, often with the help of her two doting friends, and embroils herself into the most embarrassing situations. Yes, Deb Grantham is one beleaguered woman. Not only does she have to deal with a very silly aunt, but also an army of young people confused about love and desiring her guidance. She also is in charge of paying the bills for her aunt’s gaming-house, which leads to no end of stress. Fortunately, Deb has a great sense of humor, tempered with an overly-developed sense of pride. This pride is what gets her into the most trouble. Still, she is always kind and loyal to her friends, and her good nature always wins out in the end. I absolutely loved her.”

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Risqué by Mia MichelleRisqué by Mia Michelle. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Overview
Description: A collection of 8 Full Length Novels from some of today’s best selling authors FOR THREE MONTHS ONLY!!

Rose of Thorne by Mia Michelle
Repair Me by Jennifer Foor
Don’t Lie to Me by Stacey Lynn
In a Heartbeat by Hilary Storrn
Cursed Love by TH Snyder
Sizzle by Lexi Buchanan
Tease by Missy Johnson
Misguided Heart by Amanda Bennett

This is another collection of full length novels.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Three Weeks With Lady X by Eloisa JamesThree Weeks With Lady X by Eloisa James. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

The next fabulous romance by New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James.

Having made a fortune, Thorn Dautry, the powerful bastard son of a duke, decides that he needs a wife. But to marry a lady, Thorn must acquire a gleaming, civilized façade, the specialty of Lady Xenobia India.

Exquisite, headstrong, and independent, India vows to make Thorn marriageable in just three weeks.

But neither Thorn nor India anticipate the forbidden passion that explodes between them.

Thorn will stop at nothing to make India his. Failure is not an option.

But there is only one thing that will make India his . . . the one thing Thorn can’t afford to lose . . . his fierce and lawless heart.

This late March release is already on sale. There were a number of positive reviews for this title.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin Trilogy Series #2) by Robin LaFeversDark Triumph by Robin LaFevers. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her home to the life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of death himself, he must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This is the second in the series. The first one is “Grave Mercy.” This is a beauty and the beast story and received a number of stellar reviews from PW, Library Journal, and Voya.

Ordered to save the life of the ugly Beast of Waroch, a knight loyal to the duchess, Sybella soon ends up on the run from her father’s vengeance. Brimming with powerful emotions, thrilling sword fights, and accurate period detail, this tightly plotted tale will enthrall readers of romantic historical fantasy. – PW

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. PeggyL
    May 04, 2014 @ 10:45:47

Here’s a current Kobo discount code (multiple use, 40% off) – 40daze.
    Don’t know when the expiry is though

2. Beth
    May 04, 2014 @ 11:29:15

Dark Triumph isn’t showing up for me as a sale book? Kindle ed is $7.49.

May 04, 2014 @ 11:38:33

@Beth: Hmm. Maybe later? It is available at BN at that price.

4. Tabs
    May 04, 2014 @ 11:52:20

Faro’s Daughter is one of my favorite Heyers. I’m really find of a good constantly-at-odds relationship and this book has it in spades. I just loved how they kept antagonizing and baiting each other and it just gets so out of hand but they both secretly enjoy have a worthy opponent to spar with so much that neither one can bear to put the breaks on.

5. LeeF
    May 04, 2014 @ 13:07:37

I haven’t read many Heyers yet (making my way slowly through the library’s collection) but Faro’s Daughter has been my favorite so far.

6. Mary Beth
    May 04, 2014 @ 14:16:59

I am so irritated. I bought the James novel about a week or so ago at full price. When will I learn?! It’s getting to the point where I will not buy a book unless it’s heavily discounted.

7. EGS
    May 04, 2014 @ 14:19:04

I love Heyer, and Faro’s Daughter is a good one. Heyer has such awesome, intelligent, witty yet not obnoxious heroines. Any time I feel like I have nothing good to read, I read another Heyer novel.

8. cleo
    May 04, 2014 @ 14:23:33

I read Three Weeks with Lady X. It’s her latest book and it’s not inspired by a fairy tale. The hero is the eldest son of the Duke of Villiers from the Desperate Duchesses series. He and his Duchess do show up briefly in the book.

I believe I said on the open thread that it reminded me both why I like Eloisa James and why I’ve stopped reading her. The first half is vintage James – interesting characters, witty dialog, ridiculous but compelling set up – and then I don’t know, the plot took a couple left turns, the heroine got a personality transplant, and I stopped caring. I’d probably still recommend it for James fans at this price.

9. cleo
    May 04, 2014 @ 15:25:08

FYI – BN has a sale (on spring reading favorites) and it looks like Amazon is price matching – http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-book-sale/379003966

I seem to be in the minority, but Faro’s Daughter isn’t one of my favorite Heyer’s

10. marjorie
    May 04, 2014 @ 15:34:30

Dark Triumph is still showing at full price for me — I’m buying it if it goes to $1.99 on Amazon. It’s one of my fave YA novels of recent years; I liked it much more than the first book in the series (which is saying a lot, since I liked Grave Mercy quite a bit). Why? Because 1) we have the very notion of Assassin. Nuns. Assassin. Nuns. 2) I liked Sybella as a heroine much more than Ismae (Sybella’s got a sense of humor and a mouth on her and she’s FURIOUS, unlike the heroine of Grave Mercy who is more trusting of the Assassin. Nun. Establishment and is somber and internal. and 3) Ohhhhhh Beast.

Action, psychology, court intrigue, belief in a cause and a wonderful love story? YES PLZ. And I love that Beast is physically damaged but emotionally totally healthy and self-aware and in touch with his emotions — very unlike most “wounded hero” tales. He’s ugly and he’s had the crap beaten out of him, but he’s a total mensch. Sybella’s the truly messed-up one (for good reasons) but she’s totally competent, too, and a good person despite her refusal to see herself that way (Beast does that for her). And the relationships among women characters are really great. Just so so good, if you can get past a bit of confusing world-establishing stuff in the very beginning.

11. Jolanda
    May 04, 2014 @ 17:06:25

Dark Triumph shows up at USD 10.68 for me – 20% more expensive than the paperback – probably because I’m one of those nasty Europeans. So no sale. Alas, it sounds interesting.

12. Janhavi
    May 04, 2014 @ 22:53:20

I love Heyer, and think Faros Daughter is a very good book though not among my absolute favourite Heyer novels. But well worth it at this price.

13. hilly
    May 05, 2014 @ 10:25:42

Faro’s Daughter is a romp and muddle. Not all parts of it work for me, but the humor is LOL at times, and it has long been a charming comfort read and one of my favorite G.Heyer books.

I just sampled the opening pages of Robin LaFevers’ Grave Mercy, and while neither YA nor violence are my cuppa, I’ll likely give both books a whirl, based on the quality of the writing and your recommendations here. Thank you!

14. Fallen Professor
    May 05, 2014 @ 10:26:14

I’m happy to see all these great comments about the Heyer novel. I haven’t read any books by her yet (I know, I know…), so I snatched this one up for near-future reading.

15. marjorie
    May 05, 2014 @ 13:49:24

….aaaaaaand Amazon price drop on Dark Triumph! NOW it’s $1.99. YOU MUST.

16. Isobel Carr
    May 05, 2014 @ 16:38:55

Faro’s Daughter has the best black moment/denunciation in all of Heyer IMO.

And I’m sad to see Avon must be added to my list of houses not to pre-order from, and not to buy the book in the first month from. This really sucks.