Daily Deals: George RR Martin, Nora Roberts, Stephen King and others

Here’s some Amazon specials:

Nora Roberts Dark Witch

Recommended by Kati ( A | BN | K | S | G) * contemporary

Lila and Ethan: Forever and Always by Jessica Sorenson, Freebie
The Book Thief, $2.90 (also at BN)

and at BN and Amazon, you can get the DA recommended read (and #1 Bestselling book last week) Dark Witch for $4.79

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5) by George R. R. MartinA Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five by George R. R. Martin. $ 2.90

From the Jacket Copy:

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his landmark series—as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS
A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE: BOOK FIVE

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance—beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has thousands of enemies, and many have set out to find her. As they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys’s claim to Westeros forever.

Meanwhile, to the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone—a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

From all corners, bitter conflicts reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all.

I’m not sure what is up with the $2.90 sales. They seem to be appearing and disappearing and reappearing again. Because of that I’m publishing this deals post early so that you can jump on the deals.

At BN, A Game of Thrones is on sale for $2.90 and at Amazon, A Storm of Swords and A Game of Thrones is on sale for $2.90 each.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Unraveled: 8 Delicious Tales of Passion by Sara Fawkes, Lauren Hawkeye, Julia Kent, Opal Carew, Sarah CastilleUnraveled by Sara Fawkes. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

The Unraveled Boxed Set—featuring all new material from eight bestselling authors!
Warning: this book contains stories that may excite you, particularly if you like alpha males, singly or in pairs, who will use any and every means possible to realize a woman’s darkest fantasies and most hidden desires, from commands to cuffs, and from ropes to ribbons.

MAY CONTAIN NUTS.

YOURS TO TAKE by Cathryn Fox

Revenge takes on a sexy twist when a powerhouse lawyer is stripped of her control “by the handsome multi-millionaire she once took down in the courtroom.

YIELD TO ME by Sarah Castille

An ambitious MMA fighter struggles to resist her attraction to the dangerously sexy fight coach who awakens in her secret desires that could destroy her fighting career.

COMPLETE ABANDON by Julia Kent

Six months after having her baby, Laura finds that her relationships have cooled, even as her naughty desires heat up her eReader. When their best friends take the baby for an overnight, Mike and Dylan show Laura just how alpha they can both be, as Laura surrenders herself to them with complete abandon.

THREE LITTLE WORDS by Lauren Hawkeye

Two years ago serious law student Malachi Hunter broke wild child Adele Cavanaugh’s heart. When Mal is thrown back into her life… and she meets Dorian Marshall, a bad boy with a soft spot for her… Adele doesn’t know how to choose just one when they both help to ease her pain.

TAKEN BY STORM by Opal Carew

Jessica doesn’t like to take risks, but when she’s almost run over by a red hot rock musician named Storm on his motorcycle, she realizes that some risks are worth taking.

HOW TO CHOOSE A COWBOY by Daire St. Denis

When Tessa Savage is forced to choose between two hunky cowboys while vacationing at the Lazy L Dude Ranch, she finds herself at a loss; the Marlboro Man look-a-like or the fun-loving exhibitionist. Help Tessa decide in this smokin’ hot interactive tale.

THE VAMPIRE DESIGN by Vivi Anna

A naive young artist travels through Europe searching for the most infamous painter ever to live… who also happens to be a 300 year old vampire.

ANYTHING HE WANTS: ATONEMENT by Sara Fawkes

Jeremiah and Lucy have been through the fire and barely escaped with their lives, but can their love survive the real world?

This box set is unusual in that it promises new material from eight bestselling authors.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen King. $ 2.90

From the Jacket Copy:

Overview
First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel’s past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick – featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson – The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

A classic horror novel

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Paper Towns by John GreenPaper Towns by John Green. $ 2.90.

From the Jacket Copy:

From the #1 bestselling author of The Fault in Our Stars

Winner of the Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Mystery
New York Times bestseller
USA Today bestseller
Publishers Weekly bestseller

When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night—dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows her. Margo’s always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she’s always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they’re for Q.

Printz Medalist John Green returns with the trademark brilliant wit and heart-stopping emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of readers.

John Green is the Nicholas Sparks of YA fiction someone told me (who has read more John Green books than I have). A little romance, a little heartfelt connection, an ending that is NSparked. PW says “The title, which refers to unbuilt subdivisions and “copyright trap” towns that appear on maps but don’t exist, unintentionally underscores the novel’s weakness: both milquetoast Q and self-absorbed Margo are types, not fully dimensional characters. Readers who can get past that will enjoy the edgy journey and off-road thinking.”

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. sandyl
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:12:21

Regarding the Nora Roberts book: @#$&! I am returning the target copy I bought and downloading to my kindle! They don’t even discount the J.D. Robb books this much!

2. Shannon Stacey
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:16:33

So glad I preordered Dark Witch and paid $7.99 for it.

I’m off to my Amazon account to cancel existing preorders. Hopefully, once the core readership’s been punished for buying it on release day and they drop the price, I’ll still remember to buy the ones I wanted to read.

3. Amanda
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:30:40

Glad I held off buying Lila and Ethan: Forever and Always.

4. Amanda
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:37:08

@Amanda:
    Oops didn’t realize there was a second Lila and Ethan book in the works, I was thinking of The Temptation of Lila and Ethan. Still its a freebie!

5. Joy B
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:46:33

I’m totally going to stop buying books release week. I have a few Google Play pre-orders that seemed like a good deal….but will now have to revisit and maybe cancel.

6. Isobel Carr
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:58:28

@Joy B: Me too. Unless there is a discounted pre-sale, I’m not preordering anything and I’m not buying anything until it’s been out for at least a month. I’ve been shafted by sales on multiple occasions now. Sales that always seem to start just after the return window for all of us who pre-ordered closes (note: I know that a lot of these are Amazon sales, not publisher sales, but the result is the same: core fans getting screwed).

7. KBSpangler
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 09:21:40

And it screws authors, too. First week sales (especially online release day sales) are used as an indicator of how eager fans are to see work by a specific author. These sales figures are used for authors and agents to negotiate contracts, increase advances for authors, decide marketing for the next book… whole bunches of good stuff for authors. If fans stop buying preorders and on release day, nobody benefits from this except the sellers.

8. Tabs
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 09:57:25

Sherry Thomas’ “Luckiest Lady In London” is also on sale for $4.78. Another new release and DA Reccomended Read.

9. library addict
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 10:42:47

I bought Dark Witch on release day and read it on Thursday so I’m keeping my copy (plus Kobo doesn’t really do returns unless the formatting is terrible). But if I had bought the book and it was still in my TBR pile I’d be upset. (Been there, done that).

I am happy that formerly agency prices books can be discounted. But this almost immediate sale mentality only “punishes” the readers who pre-order and the authors (for all those who do get massive returns). And the publishers who aren’t discounting, but mostly I see the authors being blamed.

I totally understand people not wanting to pre-order for fear of being burned on the price again. Since I sideload my books the convenience of having books magically appear on my device is not an issue, so I usually buy on release day. Since most of my autobuy authors go to the top of my TBR pile I will probably still buy that way. But maybe on the series I am behind on I will take the wait-and-see route.

10. Mo
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 10:57:55

What others have said. I will never pre-order again. And I will never buy the first week of release again. So freakin’ frustrating.

11. hapax
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 10:59:47

@Tabs: Well, crud. I ordered that pre-release — in print, but I would have at least considered the e-version if I had known I could save that much.

And I haven’t even read it yet. I hope it’s worth it.

12. Amanda
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 11:15:03

There are a few authors I will still order the first week of release like Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh but I am done with pre-orders.

13. MaryK
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 11:24:45

A twitter deal – @HarlequinBooks: DEFIANCE, @StephanieTyler’s post-apoc MC romance, is an @AmazonKindle Daily Deal for Nov 7, 99 cents today only! http://amzn.to/1aHeBIc

14. Lisa J
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 11:33:09

Add me to the list of people who won’t pre-order or buy the day the book comes out. I do feel bad for the authors, but in some cases the price difference is enough to buy a second book. My wallet will thank me for that. Also, I rarely read the book the same week I buy it; my TBR is huge, so no need to rush the purchase. There may be a few authors I break the rule for, but not many.

15. Susan
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 12:12:18

Re GRRM, the boxed set (both e and paper) of the 5 books is also significantly reduced right now.

Agree with others re the price drops that punish the core readers. I used to be a compulsive pre-orderer, but only a few authors/books warrant that now. For the rest, they go on the wish list–and I may or may not remember to come back to them later. It’s not like I don’t already own multitudes of other books just waiting for me to get around to.

16. Bamaclm
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 13:14:04

I’m trying to make better use of my wish list and putting books there instead of preordering.

Now all I have to do is remember to check my list, ;-)

17. Renda
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 16:59:52

@Bamaclm:

I do the same thing. But sometimes I go to my wish list and it is empty. I have no idea if they do a purge or what. And no, nobody in my account would wipe them out.

I also use my wish list to keep up with the ones I just want to borrow from the Kindle Lending.

18. MaryK
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 17:34:42

@Renda: Wow, that’s weird. I have multiple, private, wish lists to keep track of books and haven’t had that happen.

19. deputman
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 17:53:01

@Renda

That’s strange. I’ve never experienced anything like that (Amazon purging a list); I have things on there from 11.5 years ago. You should check with customer service about that.

20. deputman
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 18:16:27

@Susan

The Song of Fire and Ice books are an even better deal individually (at least in the last few hours) than in the box set. With three on sale for $2.90, one at $4.81, and one at $5.99, they’re about $3 bucks cheaper combined than the boxset sale.

21. NBLibGirl
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 23:45:40

Amazon has Mrs. Mike by Nancy and Benedict Freedman in Kindle format for free! This is an old sentimental favorite; historical romance/fiction set in the Canadian wilderness. Written in 1947, based on a true story. Mike is a Canadian Mountie, Katherine Mary is 16 when they meet, court and marry (so a pretty big age difference if that is a turn off for some) and she follows him across the Northwest Territories.

22. Laurie Evans
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 00:09:47

@Shannon Stacey:

I feel the same way!

23. CELL STEPHEN KING 2014
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 07:26:09

[…] day-to-day deals: George RR Martin, Nora Roberts, Stephen King and … […]

24. Estara Swanberg
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 12:06:54

I only preorder books from auto-buy authors. And those I so want to be able to write more books that I pay hardcover or eARC prices for and then often buy the ebook for ease of reading. Otherwise I never preorder anyway.