Daily Deals: Freebie novellas (okay, one $1.59 novella, but that’s like...

Far in the Wilds      By: Deanna RaybournDeanna Raybourn by Far In The Wilds. $ Free

From the Jacket Copy:

New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn takes readers into Africa during the height of British colonialism, to meet a man as wild as the land he loves in this prequel novella….

Kenya, 1918

Ryder White is Canadian by birth but African by choice. He is more at home in the wilds of the savannah, shooting and sleeping his way across the continent, than amongst the hedonistic colonists of Kenyan society.

In a landscape where one false move can cost a man his life, Ryder’s skill as a guide is unparalleled, but only the rich or royal can afford his services. When a European prince hires Ryder to help him hunt an elusive leopard Ryder thinks it’s just another well-paying job with yet another spoiled voyeur. But this perilous journey is full of dangers that may change Ryder forever….

Ryder returns in A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn, where he encounters a woman from a very different world, to explore beauty and darkness and what is truly worth fighting for.

I’m not sure how long this novella is and I have to confess I’ve never read Raybourn, but I’m super intrigued by the excerpt. Is this a good place to start?

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Crossing the Line      By: Katie McGarryCrossing the Line by Katie McGarry. $ 1.59

From the Jacket Copy:

Katie McGarry captivated readers with her “riveting, emotional”* Young Adult debut, Pushing the Limits. In this gripping novella, she tells the story of Lila and Lincoln, who discover that sometimes it’s worth crossing the line for love…

Lila McCormick first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters-or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness-and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.

Look for more contemporary YA by Katie McGarry with Pushing the Limits and Dare You To from Harlequin TEEN.

*Simone Elkeles, New York Times bestselling author of the Perfect Chemistry series

“Brimming with dark memories, veiled secrets, and steamy moments.” -Publishers Weekly on Pushing the Limits

I’ve read this one and can give a first hand recommendation. First, it’s cheap. Second, I really love KM’s voice. Third, this is a sweet romance of two kids on the cusp of going to college. It’s a great introduction to KM’s YA/NA books. I also loved the upcoming book, Dare You To, so maybe I’m just a fangirl. Having said that, it’s cheap and you can decide for yourself.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

The Goddess Hunt      By: Aimée CarterThe Goddess Hunt by Aimee Carter. $ Free

From the Jacket Copy:

A vacation in Greece sounds like the perfect way for Kate Winters to spend her first sabbatical away from the Underworld…until she gets caught up in an immortal feud going back millennia. Castor and Pollux have been on the run from Zeus and Hades’s wrath for centuries, hiding from the gods who hunt them. The last person they trust is Kate, the new Queen of the Underworld. Nevertheless, she is determined to help their cause. But when it comes to dealing with immortals, Kate still has a lot to learn….

A Goddess Test series ebook novella.

This takes place after the first book. One review said it ruined the first book for her but didn’t give a reason why. I hunted around the reviews and couldn’t figure out what happened that disturbed her. Another reviewer said it was quick filler.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Uncovering the Correttis  by 	Carol MarinelliUncovering the Correttis by Carol Marinelli. $ Free.

From the Jacket Copy:

Back of the Book

The more powerful the family…the darker the secrets. Meet the family everyone’s talking about in this prequel novella to the Sicily’s Corretti Dynasty series, bought to you by Harlequin Presents.

Investigative journalist Emily Hyslop is furious when her editor—and ex—reassigns her from a career-making exposé to a frivolous wedding in Sicily. But scandalous secrets lie behind the union of the rival Corretti and Battaglia families. Things start looking up when Emily meets the most intimidating, not to mention sexiest, man she’s ever encountered….

Detective Anton Soranno has valuable insight into the Correttis and their scandalous dealings…and plenty of reason to hate them. He’s the perfect source of information—and the more he helps Emily with her story, the more time they have to explore their intense desire. But even as their passionate nights uncover surprising feelings in both of them, Emily and Anton know that she must leave Sicily once the wedding is over….

Look for more books in the Sicily’s Corretti Dynasty series from Harlequin Presents, beginning with A Legacy of Secrets by Carol Marinelli.

This book has no ratings because I think it was just released. I’ve had an uneven relationship with Marinelli in the past but she’s on my list of “Presents authors I enjoy”.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

1. Amy Kathryn
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 14:11:30

The Raybourn novella is a prequel to her new stand alone book releasing in the next month or so. It has nothing to do with her series so you are good dipping a toe in with this freebie.

2. Becky M.
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 15:12:04

I second Amy Kathryn’s post–the novella is definitely a place to start. It’s totally unrelated to her Lady Julia novels (which started out strong, but I was ready to bop Julia over the head in the last novel, she made me so crazy. Aren’t characters supposed to experience growth at some point?) and since it’s free, if you don’t like it you know not to bother with the full length one that comes out toward the end of the month.

3. Loosheesh
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 15:51:45

@Becky M.: Hi Becky, by the last Lady Julia novel, are you referring to The Dark Enquiry? I made it to book 4 (Dark Road to Darjeeling), which I found to be so very busy (way too much happening); Julia was beginning to get on my nerves then. I loved the series at the beginning, and I’ve been meaning to continue, but now I’m apprehensive that I’ll want to “bop Julia over the head” too. :)

4. Kim
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 16:34:18

I’ve enjoyed the Deanna Raybourn Lady Julia series, but I also agree that Julia took a step back maturity-wise in the last novel. This novella is not part of the series, so it’s a good place to start.

5. Lynn S.
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 16:37:30

Jane, is McGarry’s novella on the short side or is it closer to category length? Personally, I’m about done with paying for short stories that are tie-ins to a series. They too often feel like promo material which should be offered gratis. And don’t even get me started if they are like Charlaine Harris’s One Word Answer.

@Loosheesh: Julia came across as a slightly less zany Lucy Ricardo in The Dark Enquiry. It was bad enough to make me think the author is tired of writing the series.

6. Lil
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 16:56:19

“To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.”

That’s the beginning of Raybourne’s SILENT IN THE GRAVE, the first of the Lady Julia books. Jane, how can you resist?

7. Loosheesh
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 17:07:42

@Lynn S.: Ugh, could never stand Lucy (I DON’T love Lucy!). That’s sad; I really liked Julia. Regarding Crossing the Line, it’s 67 pages, according to Amazon. I was able to pick it up for free but under a different ASIN number (which now states “This title is not currently available for purchase” ??).

@Lil: One of my favorite first lines ever :-)

8. Mary
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 17:54:16

I’m looking forward to the new Raybourn book. I have to agree with the people about the Lady Julia Grey books starting out awesome and then getting…obnoxious at some point. But I do love the first 3 or 4 of them. Also for some reason in my head Brisbane looks like Benedict Cumberbatch, so that always makes reading them enjoyable. I think he just reminds me of Sherlock in general.

9. Sophydc
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 17:56:29

@Becky M.: I know…I loved the first three books but Dark Enquiry made me want to smack her…way too much TSTL behavior! Deanna Raybourn is an excellent writer which makes me forgive much character idiocy though.

10. Kaetrin
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 20:46:12

@Lynn S.: The McGarry is showing up as free on Amazon for me. I picked it up yesterday. I had a look and it seems to be around 100ish pages. I’d happily have paid $1.59 for it. I guess I’m a fangirl too though – I loved Pushing the Limits and Dare You To as well. :)

I picked up the Raybourn and even sent my mum the link – she’s got herself a Kindle recently. It’s been interesting helping her get set up with it – what I think is easy is not the same for her! I just know I’m going to get an email back saying “what does “copy and paste the link” mean? Where do I do that?” LOL

11. Susan
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 23:14:47

@Kaetrin: Your comments about your mom’s kindle made me smile. When I gave my mom her Kindle, I had visions of her happily ordering books directly from Amazon (after years of my doing all of her book-buying for her). Hmm, not so much. I still ended up buying/downloading all of her books for her. When the “gift” option became available, I would send the books to her that way. Then, when I went to her house, I would get on her email and accept all of the books. Then download them. Occasionally, I’d get a call in the middle of the night asking me to remind her how to turn the Kindle on/off. Or recharge it. Despite the challenges, she loved her Kindle; it gave her a great deal of pleasure when her other entertainment options became limited. I hope you enjoy your “Kindle time” with your mom.

12. Kaetrin
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 23:19:51

@Susan: As I predicted she did call and ask “how to I copy and paste?”, then “what’s the control key?”, then “what’s the address bar?” , etc. 25 minutes later, she has the book and I need wine! LOL

13. Becky M.
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 23:48:41

@Loosheesh:

Ugh, yes. Sorry, was too lazy earlier to look up the title, but that’s it. I listened to much of it on audio while walking my dog in the evenings, and I’m sure some of the neighborhood is still wondering what was up with that crazy lady with the dog who kept muttering to herself and shaking her head in disgust.

I waited sooo long to read it, and it was such a disappointment! I’m hoping her new book brings back the author I so enjoyed in the first few books.

14. Aisha
    Apr 02, 2013 @ 23:51:31

Jane, there is a small discussion at the end of the comments on the open thread for readers on the blurb for this Raybourn novella. I won’t repeat it here, but suffice to say that it is quite critical – again, of the blurb, not the book, which I think none of us except Jayne has read/is reading.

15. JoJo
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 07:11:55

So glad to hear I am not the only one who feels disappointed in the last two Raybourn novels. I have to say the first three where so good, some of the best sensual tension between a H/h I have read. But then, yeesh, the final book especially, I could barely finish. I wanted to slap Julia (and then maybe D. Raybourn!). I will get the freebie and give her one more shot but it better knock my socks off b/c the e-novel is $8.69!!

16. Tinabelle
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 16:11:43

I just finished reading the new novella by Raybourn. It is very short and reads like the opening chapters for her new novel. It gives a bit of background on Ryder but beyond that doesn’t really go anywhere. I enjoy novellas but so many lately are really just intros to an author’s new/upcoming book. However, I am excited about this upcoming release set in Africa after WWI; it is a fresh setting and an interesting time in history.

I am a Raybourn fan and have read all of her books. I agree with others who have felt that the beginning books in the series were the best. The most recent set in Venice was actually pretty interesting although Julia andBrisbane’s relationship doesn’t seem to be showing much growth.