Daily Deals: Dystopian trilogies, retelling of Cinderella, Brothers, and Fighters

Brenda Jackson A Brother's HonorA Brother’s Honor by Brenda Jackson. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

The Granger brothers left behind their family’s Virginia estate—and the bad memories it holds—years ago. But their dying grandfather’s request brings them home: to a failing business, a legacy of secrets and a deathbed promise to make things right.
As the eldest brother, attorney Jace Granger is determined to take responsibility for Granger Aeronautics, his family’s failing business. But the years of mismanagement seem impossible to untangle. As CEO, he hires a consultant to turn the company around. Smart, sexy Shana Bradford is the right person for the job—and the right woman to turn Jace’s world upside down.

But the passion between them is jeopardized when old secrets begin to emerge. A woman from Jace’s past suddenly reappears. And an explosive discovery changes everything Jace thinks he knows about his mother—and his father, who was convicted of her murder.

Jace Granger tried to leave his family history behind once before. But this time he needs to face the past?or risk losing his future.

Three brothers. One legacy. A lifetime of secrets.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Cinder by Marissa MeyerCinder by Marissa Meyer. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

I’ve heard good things about this retelling but Angie gave the conclusion of the trilogy a C-. Nothing worse than ending on a whimper and not a bang.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Independent Study by Joelle CharbonneauIndependent Study by Joelle Charbonneau. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Overview
In the series debut The Testing, sixteen-year-old Cia Vale was chosen by the United Commonwealth government as one of the best and brightest graduates of all the colonies . . . a promising leader in the effort to revitalize postwar civilization. In Independent Study, Cia is a freshman at the University in Tosu City with her hometown sweetheart, Tomas—and though the government has tried to erase her memory of the brutal horrors of The Testing, Cia remembers. Her attempts to expose the ugly truth behind the government’s murderous programs put her—and her loved ones—in a world of danger. But the future of the Commonwealth depends on her.

The first book is $9.99 and called The Testing. The conclusion of the series is called Graduation Day.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

REAL by Katy EvansREAL by Katy Evans. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

HOT. SEXY. POWERFUL. PAINFUL. REAL. The scorching international bestseller that strips away everything you’ve ever believed about passion . . . .

Remington Tate has a bad-boy rep in and out of the ring, a granite-hard body, and a raw, animal power that sends his female fans into a frenzy. But from the moment their eyes lock, the only woman he wants is Brooke Dumas. His desire is pure, all-consuming, and REAL.

Hired to keep his perfect body working like a machine, Brooke finally has the lucrative sports therapy job she’s been dreaming of. But as she tours the dangerous underground fighting circuit with Remy and his team, Brooke’s own body becomes alive with the most primal of hungers. If what happens between Brooke and Remy is ever as light as a flirtation, it quickly becomes an erotic obsession for them both, and promises so much more.

But their white-hot lust has a dark side—and when Remy’s deepest secret comes to light and Brooke’s familial duties demand action, will the pair be able to hang on, or will everything that once seemed so real suddenly fade away like an illusion?

Both REAL and the follow up MINE are on sale for $1.99. Kati loved REAL so much that it lead her to be a beta reader for MINE.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Malin
    May 03, 2014 @ 11:14:37

Cinder by Marissa Meyer is the first book in a series of FOUR books, the last of which won’t be out until last year. While I read Angie’s review of Cress, book three in the series, I don’t agree with it, and would rate Cinder a B+, Scarlet (book 2) an A- and Cress an A, as would several of my friends who also read and review a lot of books. I’m normally not a huge fan of science fiction books, but the creative ways in which Meyer retells the classic Grimm fairy tales and the way she keeps expanding her universe and the story is excellent, in my opinion. I’m waiting for Winter, the concluding volume of the series with bated breath. All three books in the series so far have Goodreads ratings of more than 4, so I wouldn’t warn readers away from a very enjoyable series.

2. Readsalot81
    May 03, 2014 @ 11:59:13

@Malin – I think DA’s readership is savvy enough to investigate whether or not they’d like to read the books. *shrug* Goodreads ratings aside, I’ve only read Scarlet – I found it fair. The set up and ideas are very interesting, but I found the writing itself to be somewhat prosaic. To each their own.

3. Jenn @ Lost in a Great Book
    May 03, 2014 @ 12:46:16

@Malin:
    I agree – while the third book of four wasn’t necessarily the top for me (I found Cress a little too bland compared to Cinder and Scarlett, and I felt a little let down by Thorne), I love the series as a whole and think that she is building to a great conclusion next year. Definitely worth a read!

4. Michele Mills
    May 03, 2014 @ 16:10:52

@Malin: The blurb for Cinder sounds terrific! If I were an agent and received that query I’d be like-Hell yes, send me the full and send it now! I’m thinking of squirreling away Cinder, but waiting to read the whole series until the last comes out. That way I can glom later without interuptions. :)
    Question-What is the heat level? Is this YA? Can I expect a lot of romance, or more sci fi than romance?

5. Beth
    May 03, 2014 @ 18:05:59

Sigh another expensive book day. Geez authors I love, stop putting your books on sale!

6. Rosie
    May 03, 2014 @ 18:08:24

I love the Lunar Chronicles series. It’s just fun — and I love how all the plots for Cinder, Scarlet and Cress have woven together. The last book in the series (not trilogy) is one of my most anticipated books for 2015.

7. Rosie
    May 03, 2014 @ 18:14:48

@Michele Mills: Cinder is YA. The books don’t contain any more than kissing. The books are based on fairy tales (Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White) — so the love stories are significant but there’s also quite a bit of action and twisty plots and sci-fi. It’s a good mix.

8. Paula Richey
    May 03, 2014 @ 21:22:26

I’m a fan of the Lunar Chronicles series, and I can hardly wait for the fourth book in the series. The world building is very well done and each character is distinct and believable. This is not a series that “ends on a whimper” because 1. The series has not ended, 2. this is the penultimate book and a “bang” would be premature, and 3. Cress has the job of carrying all the built-up suspense from the series while expanding upon the world and raising the stakes. It probably wouldn’t stand alone well – but it isn’t meant to.
    Cinder itself is a fun, easy yet still engaging read with an intriguing premise and clever references to the fairytale, and begins to set up the far-future political and international controversies and consequences in a way that’s still relatable. The science fiction is painted in broadly and is secondary to the various relationships (not many romantic, but all well done) but it still works well.
    Anyway, usually you do an excellent job with the little blue blurb boxes and I look forward to reading them, as your opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I’m surprised to see this one so far off base – I don’t mean Angie’s opinion, the series won’t work for everyone – but the fact is, it isn’t a trilogy and the criticism regarding it as one is based on a false premise.

9. Pamala Knight
    May 04, 2014 @ 10:34:25

The Katy Evans books aren’t showing a $1.99 price but regular retail on the respective sites. Is it the sale suppose to start another date?

May 04, 2014 @ 10:37:51

@Pamala Knight: I think it was a one day deal.

11. Pamala Knight
    May 04, 2014 @ 10:42:31

Thanks Jane! That’s what I get for going through my FB feed late :) I thought it was in a post from today.

12. Malin
    May 06, 2014 @ 06:24:00

@Michelle Mills – the series is YA, so the heat level is not very high. There are kisses, but no more than that, at least not so far.

13. Kari
    May 09, 2014 @ 06:09:07

I just finished Cinder about 2 hours ago. I’m finding it hard to sleep/wait for 10am when the bookstore opens and I can buy Scarlet. I don’t really like sci-fi books (aside from Ender’s Game) but I’m excited about this series!