Daily Deals: Dragons, mysteries, and fantasy

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire Series #1)      by     Naomi NovikHis Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors rise to Britain’s defense by taking to the skies . . . not aboard aircraft but atop the mighty backs of fighting dragons.

When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes its precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Capt. Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future–and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

Jayne and I both reviewed this book, giving it an A. It’s a fantastic blend of history and fantasy and while there isn’t a traditional romance, an unbreakable bond forms between Will Laurence and Temeraire.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan Series #10)      by     Kathy ReichsBones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Temperance Brennan, like her creator Kathy Reichs, is a brilliant, sexy forensic anthropologist called on to solve the toughest cases. But for Tempe, the discovery of a young girl’s skeleton in Acadia, Canada, is more than just another assignment. Évangéline, Tempe’s childhood best friend, was also from Acadia. Named for the character in the Longfellow poem, Évangéline was the most exotic person in Tempe’s eight-year-old world. When Évangéline disappeared, Tempe was warned not to search for her, that the girl was “dangerous.”

Thirty years later, flooded with memories, Tempe cannot help wondering if this skeleton could be the friend she lost so many years ago. And what is the meaning of the strange skeletal lesions found on the bones of the young girl?

Meanwhile, Tempe’s beau, Ryan, investigates a series of cold cases. Three girls dead. Four missing. Could the New Brunswick skeleton be part of the pattern? As Tempe draws on the latest advances in forensic anthropology to penetrate the past, Ryan hunts down a serial predator.

This is the 10th book in the Temperance Brennan series. I haven’t ever read any of these books, but they are the basis of the Fox television so called Bones which is fairly entertaining despite the bad plot lines and inaccuracies, primarily because the main characters are appealing. I had to stop watching after I found out that David Boreanz cheated on his wife while she was pregnant. After that I had hard time envisioning him as the good, honorable, guy that he played.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)      by     Ken Scholes Lamentation by Ken Scholes. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

An ancient weapon has completely destroyed the city of Windwir. From many miles away, Rudolfo, Lord of the Nine Forest Houses, sees the horrifying column of smoke rising. He knows that war is coming to the Named Lands.

Nearer to the Devastation, a young apprentice is the only survivor of the city – he sat waiting for his father outside the walls, and was transformed as he watched everyone he knew die in an instant.

Soon all the Kingdoms of the Named Lands will be at each others’ throats, as alliances are challenged and hidden plots are uncovered.

This remarkable first novel from an award-winning short fiction writer will take readers away to a new world – an Earth so far in the distant future that our time is not even a memory; a world where magick is commonplace and great areas of the planet are impassable wastes. But human nature hasn’t changed through the ages: War and faith and love still move princes and nations.

I picked this book up for Ned. It is high fantasy and that at $2.99, seems like a good price for experimentation. One of the most helpful reviews on goodreads is entitled “meh” because the reviewer found it neither objectionable nor praiseworthy. “There’s nothing particularly memorable about Ken Scholes’ debut novel nor anything particularly awful about it.”

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Fairytale Maggie ShayneFairytale by Maggie Shayne. $ Free.

From the Jacket Copy:

Book One of Two in the Fairies of Rush duet, FAIRYTALE is a sexy, sensual fantasy romance novel. Not for children, very much an adult book. Not erotica, just good old fashioned steamy fantasy romance.

Brigit Malone can paint anything she sees, and uses that skill to get herself and her best friend, homeless Razor Face Malone off the streets. Living the straight life is good until an old enemy kidnaps Raze and demands Brigit forge a privately owned painting, switch the fake for the original, and deliver it.

But that painting is the prize possession of Adam Reid, who once glimpsed the fantastical images it holds in a childhood memory he now considers a hallucination. When he later found the painting, he had to own it.

Neither of them realize the images in the painting are actually a message from the twin sister Brigit doesn’t know she has, a message calling her back to the enchanted kingdom of Rush, where the two half fay twins are destined to put down the usurping Dark Prince Tristan and restore peace to their home, a land far, far away.

A fairytale for grown up girls!

It’s free. I don’t need to convince you to click the buy button on this one, right?

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

1. Spinster
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 14:42:44

“Fairytale” does not appear to be free on B&N. :(

Apr 29, 2013 @ 14:43:47

@Spinster: It was free at Kobo and Apple when I checked this am.

3. Moriah Jovan
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 14:47:57

@Spinster: It was just now free on Amazon.

4. Lia
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 14:50:16

It was free at Kobo’s well. Am well chuffed!

5. Brian
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:07:07

Loved the Novik book, although I didn’t care for some of the later ones in the series quite as much.

The Reich’s series is pretty good, but from the few episodes I’ve seen of the TV show the two aren’t all that much alike really.

6. mari
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:12:16

OOOOOOOH…..have to respectfully disagree w/the goodreads reviewer about Lamentation. It won best fantasy of the year from ALA’s Reading List (they publish a “best of genre fiction list every year, don’t always agree with their choices, but well worth checking out) and competition that year was fierce. I read it and was blown away. If you like epic fantasy, you will enjoy this. http://www.ala/rusa/awards/readinglist/2010

7. mari
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:17:04

Yeah, the first couple of books in the Novik series are stay up at night, yell at your kids compelling. The last few just haven’t been that great. Too bad. Tenmarie s just a great character…deserves better plots!

8. LG
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:36:34

Just FYI – Bones is only very, very loosely based on Kathy Reichs’ books. Granted, I’ve only read maybe one or two so far, but what I read was so different from the TV series that I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them to fans of the show. Basically, the only similarities that I could find were the main character’s name and the mystery and forensic anthropology aspects. I think even the tone is different.

9. Helen
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:37:53

Fairytale is 4.99 at BN (darn!)

10. carmen webster buxton
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 15:44:45

I liked both LAMENTATION and HIS MAJESTY’S DRAGON (although I had a problem visualizing the dragons with an actual crew “on board”). Will Laurence and Temeraire’s relationship reminded me a lot of the one in THE SHIP WHO SANG, by Anne McCaffrey.

11. Joy B
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 16:04:13

Fairytale is free at Sony.

12. Janine
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 17:01:56

@carmen webster buxton: Have you read McCaffrey’s dragonrider books? It’s straight out of there, IMO, just in a historical setting rather than a pure fantasy one.

13. LeeF
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 17:08:36

How could I resist Fairytale event though I rarely read paranormal/fantasy? It is free, hot and DIK

14. Janine
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 17:12:44

@mari: Your link didn’t work for me but I found this one: http://www.ala.org/rusa/awards/readinglist/2010

It looks like they picked it over Game of Thrones. I’m tempted, but will check it out on Amazon first.

15. Mary
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 18:04:00

Kathy Reichs’ books are VERY different from the series-they are much more accurate. Tempe doesn’t work for the FBI, she works partly in Canada and partly in North (I think, could be South) Carolina. The cases she does are all based (at times loosely) on work that Kathy Reichs, an actual forensic anthropologist, worked on. There is often long, accurate description of actual police work. One that I remember was a one or two page description on how blood spatter analysis works when Tempe was talking to an expert. There is a romance between her and Ryan (who I like almost as much as Booth), who is the Canadian equivalentish of Booth.
    Overall, I liked them, found them much more accurate than most suspense novels, but got worn out after the first 5 and stopped reading them. They are MUCH better in terms of accuracy than the TV show, however, which I cannot recommend past the 3rd season. Also the characters are slightly older and more believable, and Tempe doesn’t have that weird genius but yet completely stupid aspect that Bones kinda has in the show.
    Basically the Temperance Brennan of the books and of the show are really two completely different people. I found both enjoyable for a time.

16. Katie
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 20:30:42

Having read all of the Kathy Reichs except the most recent, I agree with all the statements of them being very different than the TV show. The books generally have sound science, and many of them have least some basis in cases/work that she did professionally. There are I think 14 or 15 books in the series now; personally after about book 5 or 6 they are hit or miss on quality. The last one that I read seemed to be stretching for quantity over quality. Also, if you are looking for heavy romance, these have the romance as a side note instead of a main plot driver in most cases.

17. Mariann
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 09:32:20

Lamentation is a fabulous book as is the rest of the series. Rich setting, detailed plot, intriguing characters. A bit of clockwork mechanics in a fantasy setting, political manipulation, and some post-apocalyptic themes, all headed into chaotic war. I was surprised how much I fell in love it all, and I’m eager for the next book. And unlike Game of Thrones, which I’ve also enjoyed, this one will be finished in a timely manner!

18. carmen webster buxton
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 15:03:36

@Janine:

I read some of the Pern books. They struck me as an interesting mix of fantasy and science ficiton, but the “humans who bond to dragons have sex when their dragons have sex” thing kinda creeped me out. The Her Majesty’s Dragon books reminded me more of the Hornblower books, actually. Maybe that’s why it reminded me of THE SHIP WHO SANG? Substitute dragon for ship and you’ve got it.