Daily Deals: Creepy kids, faerie princesses, box set, and new adult

Gone (Jack Caffery Series #5) by Mo HayderGone (Jack Caffery Series #5) by Mo Hayder. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Now available in paperback from one of the most acclaimed authors in the thriller genre—praised as a “maestro of the sinister” by the New York Daily News—Mo Hayder delivers her most excruciatingly suspenseful novel to date. By turns thrilling and horrifying, Gone follows the investigation of a brilliant and twisted carjacker with a disturbing game to play.
Detective Jack Caffery’s newest case seems like a routine carjacking, a crime he’s seen plenty of times before until he realizes the sickening truth: the thief wasn’t after the car, but the 11-year-old girl in the backseat. Meanwhile police diver Sergeant Flea Marley is pursuing her own theory of the case, and what she finds in an abandoned, half-submerged tunnel could put her in grave danger. The carjacker is always a step ahead of the Major Crime Investigation Unit, and as the chances for his victims grow slimmer, Jack and Flea race to fit the pieces together in time.

Gone is Mo Hayder at her terrifying best. Each dark and captivating twist reveals a new dimension to this tight-knit plot, burrowing deeper into the chilling and clever world Mo Hayder creates.
Winner of the 2012 Edgar Award for Best Novel

That is one creepy assed cover. Seriously, is there anything more terrifying than a child? No.

“In addition to the creepy intellectual satisfactions of Hayder’s plot, the setting here is agreeably terrifying…It’s a tribute to Hayder’s powers as a suspense writer that she completely turns the over-familiar premise of this novel inside out and upside down. The more pages of Gone that we captivated readers turn, the farther away we get from cliched thriller conventions.” —The Washington Post

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry)  by Laurell K. HamiltonA Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry) by Laurell K. Hamilton. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

“My name is Meredith Gentry, but of course it’s not my real name. I dare not even whisper my true name after dark for fear that one hushed word will travel over the night winds to the soft ear of my aunt, the Queen of the Air and Darkness. She wants me dead. I don’t even know why.”

Meredith Gentry, Princess of the high court of Faerie, is posing as a human in Los Angeles, living as a P.I. specializing in supernatural crime. But now the Queen’s assassin has been dispatched to fetch her back–whether she likes it or not. Suddenly Meredith finds herself a pawn in her dreaded aunt’s plans. The job that awaits her: enjoy the constant company of the most beautiful immortal men in the world. The reward: the crown–and the opportunity to continue to live. The penalty for failure: death.

Man I loved this story. In fact, Merry Gentry series were some of the first books I ever bought in digital. I remember reading the PDF of the book (because PDFs and peanut press PDBs were all that there were in the early days).

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Epic Love: 8 Bestselling Authors, 8 Bestselling Romance Novels Sawyer BennettEpic Love: 8 Bestselling Authors, 8 Bestselling Romance Novels by Sawyer Bennett. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

* * * 8-Novel Boxed Set ON SALE for $0.99 until April 10th. * * *

After April 10th, this limited edition box set will not be available for purchase.

Eight novels of hot, sweet, sexy, and true love in one limited edition boxed set, brought to you by eight of today’s hottest bestselling contemporary romance authors — Sawyer Bennett, Lauren Blakely, Violet Duke, Karen Erickson, Jessie Evans, Melody Grace, Kendall Ryan and Lexi Ryan.

A $26.00 savings off the cost of these books purchased individually!

–Off Chance by USA Today Bestselling Author Sawyer Bennett
–Trophy Husband by NY Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Lauren Blakely
–Finding the Right Girl by NY Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Violet Duke
–Indulgent Pleasures by USA Today Bestselling Author Karen Erickson (aka Monica Murphy)
–Keeping You by International Bestselling Author Jessie Evans
–With Every Heartbeat by USA Today Bestselling Author Melody Grace
–Unravel Me by NY Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Kendall Ryan
–Text Appeal by NY Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Lexi Ryan

I was giving up on buying box sets because I really hate reading them but Mikaela Lind told me that Calibre has a plugin called ePubSplit that easily splits up a larger ePub file into a smaller one. I used it yesterday to break a six book box set into six separate files. It took only a few minutes and I was thrilled so I’m back looking at box sets.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Into the Deep by Samantha YoungInto the Deep by Samantha Young. $ .99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Live young. Live hard. Love deep.

Charley Redford was just an ordinary girl until Jake Caplin moved to her small town in Indiana and convinced her she was extraordinary. Almost from day one Jake pulled Charley into the deep and promised he was right there with her. But when a tragic incident darkened Jake’s life he waded out into the shallows and left Charley behind.

Almost four years later Charley thinks she’s moved on. That is until she takes a study year abroad in Edinburgh and bumps into none other than Jake Caplin at a party with his new girlfriend. The bad-boy-turned-good attempts to convince Charley to forgive him, and as her best friend starts spending time with Jake’s, Charley calls a truce, only to find herself tumbling back into a friendship with him.

As they grow closer, the spark between them flares and begins playing havoc with their lives and relationships. When jealousy and longing rear their destructive heads, Charley and Jake struggle to come to grips with what they mean to one another.

And even if they work it out, there is no guarantee Charley will ever trust Jake to lead her back into the deep…

I gave the book a C+ . The sequel is out soon and I don’t know if I’m going to read it. I think my C+ was generous because I can barely remember anything about the book.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Angela
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:09:06

Merry Gentry! For $0.99. That makes me grin today. Have you kept up with the series, Jane?

A friend of mine convinced me to read this series, telling me it got better.

She lied. Although it is like crack – I’m even going to be getting the new one that’s finally due to come out this summer.

2. Lisa J
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:13:14

Now I need to try the ePub split thing. Is it difficult?

3. Nicole
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:46:06

Jane – that plugin just changed my life. I keep buying boxed sets because I’m a sucker for a sale, but once I get to a story that I don’t like, I usually stop at that point in the set, instead of finding the beginning of the next book and giving that one a go. You’ve changed my life! Now I just have to figure out how to generate tables of content for the new books.

4. Nicole
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:53:35

@Lisa J: The plugin is easy to use. It’s an official Calibre plugin and can be installed using through the program’s Preferences menu, and it gets added to Calibre’s toolbar once you’ve installed it.

Also, I found a blog post on how to generate a new table of contents in a book.

5. Nicole
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:54:09

6. JJPP
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:54:28

So… If I absolutely HATED the first Laurel K. Hamilton/Anita Blake book, Guilty Pleasures — like, hated it so much I wanted to throw it across the room but also wanted all my friends to have read it so that I could hate-bash it with them and share my feelings of befuddlement as to how so many people could be such fans of this poorly written tripe (…sorry, I’m sure there are fans reading and to each her own, but that was my personal reaction :)) — Should I try the Merry Gentry series? Or is it going to inspire a similar reaction?

I’ve probably answered my own question, but “Man, I love this story” sounds so enticing! Hmmm…!

That is very cool news about splitting an ebook box set. I’m going to take a look at that!

7. Lisa J
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 14:57:12

@Nicole: Thank you so much! I can’t wait to get home and play with this and all the box sets I have.

8. JJPP
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:01:09

Thanks for the link, Nicole! I got the Epic Love boxed set, so I’ll try it out tonight too.

I also got the Samantha Young, because even when I don’t love her books I still really enjoy reading them, if that makes sense. Probably leftover affection from the On Dublin Street, which was the first one that I read and really liked.

9. Mikaela
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:21:13

I’m happy that everyone likes Epubsplit! I don’t buy many box sets, but the ones I do buy I run through Epubsplit. It is so easy!

10. Fiona McGier
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:33:18

I liked the Anita Black books…until about # 15, when I told the husband to STOP buying the hardcovers for me as gifts. I skimmed through that one and the whining was too omnipresent from Richard (the alpha werewolf) about how HUGE he is, and how no woman can take what he wants to give (except a were-female, but then, he doesn’t want one of those, he wants one of the ones he can’t have, cue the angst…whine…snivel…whine). I liked the Merry Gentry books at first also, until husband gave me about the 8th one, and it had no plot, no plot development, and not even much hot sex. Boring! I think she’s a good example of authors who don’t know when to quit a series. Here’s a hint, when your characters have no more development and nothing new to say. Then call it quits and start another series!

Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:57:10

@Mikaela – Thank you and I’m so sorry for spelling your last name wrong!

Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:58:21

@JJPP – Wellll, it’s hard to say. I started an ARC of the upcoming book in the Merry Gentry series and my first thought was “Was LKH’s writing always this stilted and awkward or have my reading standards become more refined.” I remember loving the first few and then it was a downhill slide from there.

Apr 07, 2014 @ 15:58:52

@Angela – I started an ARC of the upcoming book and it’s…not good so far.

14. JJPP
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 16:15:08

@Jane: Thanks — I think I’ll leave these in the past, then. My virtual TBR is so towering anyway, it’s not like I’m hurting for things to read!

(I actually was just thinking last night, wouldn’t it be cool to have an app that would allow you to “shop” your TBR list? That would be so fun! It would be like a little closed store, that pulled in reviews and “if you like this, try that!,” but you would ACTUALLY ALREADY OWN IT ALL. Quick, someone develop that! I’m sure it’s super simple and easily monetized, seeing as how you’d already own everything…!! :) haha)

15. Angela
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 16:43:20

@Jane: That’s pretty much on par with what I’m expecting, though I’m sad to hear it considering she’s had several years to get this book right…

Also, I just noticed one of my favorite books at the beginning of this year is on sale for $1.99: Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Dystopian sci-fi. I devoured it, and it’s a fairly new release to already be priced so low.

16. MaryK
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 16:46:58

@JJPP: I could really use that app! I need something to remind me why a particular book is in the TBR pile. Once the buzz and newness are gone, I tend to forget why I wanted it in the first place.

17. Kate Y
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 20:32:23

I have never used Calibre before, but this EpubSplit sounds awesome. I have a Nook. Do you know whether I can use EpubSplit (in Calibre I guess) and then read the books on my Nook?

18. jane
    Apr 07, 2014 @ 20:38:20

@Kate Y: Yes, your Nook reads ePubs so you’ll have to sideload them once you’ve created the individual epubs.

19. Jo
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 01:13:44

I love epub split. I was getting a little burned out by the box sets so this is a great solution. Took me a little bit to get the hang of it but now it’s all smooth sailing :-) thanks Mikaela & Jane

20. Lisa J
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 05:16:06

I tried epubsplit this morning, AWESOME. Thank you so much for talking about it. I love it!

21. cleo
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 09:27:28

Does epubsplit work on anthologies? I’d love to be able to split an anthology into it’s component short stories or novellas. (If it does, that may be the thing that tips me into actually using Calibre).

Apr 08, 2014 @ 09:29:18

@cleo: It works on any epub. I’ll do a tutorial of it for Sunday!

23. Angela
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 11:03:09

@Jane: So, I wonder if that means I can convert my mobi to epub through Calibre and then use this to separate them, and then convert them back. LOL