Daily Deals: Contemporaries, western epics; YA alt universe with girl soldier;...

A few Amazon only deals that I couldn’t resist bringing to your attention:

STripped Edie HarrisStripped by Edie Harris. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Declan Murphy has just made his big career move, going from little-known European cinema to Hollywood blockbuster awards-bait in the blink of an eye. One actor’s highly public arrest for possession of narcotics is another actor’s lucky break, right? Declan’s eye is on the prize, and no one will keep him from proving to the producers that he’s a consummate industry professional.

No one, that is, except Fiona O’Brien. After a time in the spotlight that nearly destroyed her, Fiona wants nothing more than to fade into the background and do her job as part of the studio’s hair-and-makeup team. The last thing she needs is a hotshot actor with a panty-melting Irish accent and killer smile messing up her careful plans.

There’s nothing careful about the immediate attraction between Declan and Fiona, and soon that initial spark of lust is sizzling out of control. But when things get complicated behind the scenes, they’ll have to decide if their movie magic should stay on set…or if their love can survive away from the silver screen.

I’ve heard good things about this book but haven’t read it. I did buy it so there’s that.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryApple Google

Amy Tintera rebootReboot by Amy Tintera. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

In this fast-paced dystopian thrill ride, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Legend, and Divergent, a seventeen-year-old girl returns from death as a Reboot and is trained as an elite crime-fighting soldier . . . until she is given an order she refuses to obey.

Wren Connolly died five years ago, only to Reboot after 178 minutes. Now she is one of the deadliest Reboots around . . . unlike her newest trainee, Callum 22, who is practically still human. As Wren tries to teach Callum how to be a soldier, his hopeful smile works its way past her defenses. Unfortunately, Callum’s big heart also makes him a liability, and Wren is ordered to eliminate him. To save Callum, Wren will have to risk it all.

Wren’s captivating voice and unlikely romance with Callum will keep readers glued to the page in Amy Tintera’s high-stakes alternate reality.

This sounds good but a lot of elite female soldiers turn out to be wimps. I wonder if Jia has read this. Or tried to

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

The Vampire Who Loved Me Teresa MedeirosThe Vampire Who Loved Me by Teresa Medeiros. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Julian Kane is back in town.

Once, as a girl of seventeen, beautiful, headstrong Portia Cabot saved the cursed life of the dashing vampire Julian Kane—who marked her forever, then left to go in search of his soul. He returns five years later to find the enchanting young girl he left behind grown into a bewitching woman with a woman’s heart . . . and a woman’s desires.

Portia quickly discovers that Julian’s seductive and forbidden kiss can still make her crave the night . . . and his touch. But the Julian who has returned to London is not the vampire she remembers. His fruitless pursuit of his stolen mortality has reduced him to drunken debauchery. And a recent spate of murders makes Portia fear that the man she has always adored may truly be a monster.

Julian knows he must drive Portia away—but his passion and hunger for her grow more irresistible every time they touch. For years he has fought the temptation to embrace his dark gifts, never realizing that Portia’s love may give him the most dangerous gift of all . . . a reason to live.

I remember reading one of the duology of vampire books by Medeiros. I wasn’t feeling it at the time but who knows how it would come off today. I recall the vampire hero being very broody.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

The Homeward Trilogy Digital Bundle   Lisa T. Bergrenhe Homeward Trilogy Digital Bundle by Lisa T. Bergren. $ .99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Embark on a Western epic in the Homeward Trilogy.

BREATHE: It’s Colorado, 1883. A publishing heiress is on the brink of life and death. Her beautiful younger sister is called to the forbidden stage. Her brother and troubled guardian is raging inside. A veiled treasure map leads to a hidden silver mine while a threatening villain hovers in the shadows. And a hero is bent on saving his bride.

SING: Moira St. Clair has done exactly what her father forbade her to do: chased her dreams to sing on the stage. But even as her star rises, she becomes more vulnerable to those who wish to use her—or bring her down….

CLAIM: Dominic is seeking a peace that has always eluded him. Only as he mines an old claim deep in the Rocky Mountains and begins a romance with a local schoolteacher does he begin to understand how passionately he is loved—by God, his family, and a good woman. But even as he relinquishes his fury, Nic discovers there is one last battle to fight…

Christian historicals. The books individually sell for 9.99

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple Google

1. Shannon H
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 12:55:33

Reboot was solidly meh for me. It had a good premise that I liked a lot but I felt the execution fell a little flat…too much insta-love, not enough solid characterization :-/

2. peggy h
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 15:23:47

I’m very tempted by the Fever series (I have the first book which I read and liked a couple of years ago, but have never bought the other four books). I’m just kind of bummed that Kobo abruptly changed their policy re coupon use (does anyone know why?) This bundle is just above $30 there, which would bring it down to $15 plus change with the current 50% coupon. I bought 12 books the end of September with their Sept 50% coupon which was applicable even to former Agency publishers (Penguin, MacMillan, etc.) I was thrilled there was another coupon for October, but since 1-Oct, they’ve gone back to the old policy of not allowing coupons for the old Big 6 publishers…

3. Darlynne
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 16:03:24

@peggy h: Did we all buy too many books with the coupon?

ETA: I just bought a non-agency book with coupon bookriot50 and noticed that, at least for this transaction, American Express was no longer an option. Maybe they’re changing a lot of things.

4. Juliana Stone
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 16:04:58

@peggy h: Peggy the series is so, so good! I advise you to buy it now! At that price you can’t go wrong. Other than the Bronze Horseman trilogy, this is the only other series I downloaded the next book as soon as I was finished the first…and so on. It’s that good!

5. Rachel
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 16:37:29

I actually asked their live help chat about the coupon eligibility thing. I’d noticed that some books I wanted were no longer eligible, and went back and found books I’d already gotten with the September coupon weren’t eligible either.

According to the man I spoke to, the coupon eligibility is entirely determined by the publishers–some publishers are requesting their entire catalog be ineligible, some want certain books and not others to be ineligible, etc. There’ve been no changes in Kobo’s policy, but some of the publishers have been experimenting with their policies. He said that if the publishers agreed to it, they’d restore coupon eligibility as soon as they could.

I’m thinking I’ll try again just before the coupon expires, in case it changes again.

6. Keishon
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 17:06:56

@peggy h: I don’t know why but I am glad someone else confirmed this. The only thing you can use is gift cards but promo cards are not available for the big publishers. I thought I was losing my mind there because almost none of the titles I wanted could use the promo code.

7. Keishon
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 17:09:52

@Juliana Stone: I wasn’t going to get the Fever series but your comment sold it to me. Any fan of The Bronze Horseman trilogy gets my attention each and every time.

8. peggy h
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 17:28:35

Thank you very much for the comments and info! Interesting that this was the publishers’ rather than Kobo’s policy…. Yes, maybe we did all buy way too many books last month–haha! And I feel that Fever bundle calling my name….. :) Thanks again to all, and to Jane for posting these deals, even if my credit card gets too much of a workout sometimes!

9. PeggyL
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 17:59:52

Thank you, Jane, for giving a heads up on THE STORY OF ENGLISH… I did feel I’d been neglecting Amazon lately (because of you-know-what) so, deal! Plus, the price actually stayed the same in this part of the world.

I need more time on whether to buy the Moning series though – tried her Highlander series but I found them to be repetitive and uneven.

10. Loonigrrl
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 20:22:07

I enjoyed Reboot. The protagonist was unusual -definitely not wimpy. I didn’t quite understand why she felt a deeper emotion for Callum after being so disconnected from her emotions and .. her humanity in every other sense for years since her reboot but I thought her story was interesting. It was a quick read.

11. Kaetrin
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 20:56:43

I wonder if the Kobo thing has something to do with the agency pricing settlement. Wasn’t there a clause which said total discounts for books by those publishers could not exceed the retailer’s profit? Maybe Kobo reached their max? I know what they said to the commenter above, but I’ve been wondering how this all would work and whether that’s what’s happening here.

12. hapax
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 21:01:11

I’m a huge Medeiros fan — heckopete, I’m the only one I know who liked GOODNIGHT TWEETHEART — but I considered her vampire duology pretty meh.

It was well written, but it just didn’t feel like she found the genre a comfortable fit.

13. Juliana Stone
    Oct 05, 2013 @ 23:07:17

@Keishon: Ah, Shura! I’m just re-reading it now for book club at my house in a few weeks! In my top 10 all time fave books for sure!

14. Jia
    Oct 06, 2013 @ 07:14:44

You’re correct. I did read Reboot and it was no good. I never got aroudn to writing a proper review because I was on vacation in another hemisphere at the time. My opinions pretty much align with Shannon H’s.

I felt like the protagonist was what I call an false Action Girl. She’s tough and strong and competent! Because the narrative tells us this over and over. But alas, her thought processes didn’t really align with that. Also, the instalove was made even more ridiculous because she was supposed to be an unemotional super-soldier.

15. kamlin
    Oct 06, 2013 @ 11:32:34

I loved loved the fever series..
    Ome of.the best series.ecer ever written…
    I loved kmm’s books incl.the highlander series.
    No regrets… go read… what a yummy hero..