Daily Deals: Cheap deals and freebies

Back to the Bedroom by Janet EvanovichBack to the Bedroom by Janet Evanovich. $ .79

From the Jacket Copy:

Dear Reader:

In a previous life, before the time of Plum, I wrote twelve short romance novels. Red-hot screwball comedies, each and every one of them. Nine of these stories were originally published by the Loveswept line between the years 1988 and 1992. All immediately went out of print and could be found only at used bookstores and yard sales.

I’m excited to tell you that those nine stories are now being re-released by HarperCollins. Back to the Bedroom is presented here in almost original form. I’ve done only minor editing to correct some embarrassing bloopers missed the first time around.

I lived in northern Virginia when I wrote Back to the Bedroom. My children were young, and we spent a lot of time visiting the Washington, D.C. museums and wandering through the historic neighborhoods. One day while strolling Capitol Hill I came upon two townhouses that captured my imagination. The houses were totally different — a birthday cake of a house and a bran muffin of a house, and yet they shared a common wall. I wondered about the people who lived inside the houses. And eventually thehouses inspired Back to the Bedroom.

Back to the Bedroom is the story of a young woman with the soul of a birthday cake living in a bran muffin house — and a nice-looking guy with the substance of a bran muffin living in a birthday cake. They share some misadventures, some romantic moments, some misunderstandings, and ultimately they turn into wedding cake.

And for Plum fans, you’ll be interested to find that this was the first of the four romances to feature Elsie Hawkins, the prototype for Grandma Mazur.

Janet Evanovich

I remember these early Loveswept books by Janet Evanovich and was highly entertained by them. Plus, no fat shaming that I can remember! (The fat shaming reference comes from the review over at Smart Bitches. Sarah was telling me about this book in our podcast we recorded. She was making “angry claws” while discussing it).

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Protector by Marliss MeltonThe Protector by Marliss Melton. $ 1.99 | 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Eryn McClellan teaches ESL in Washington, D.C., until the day she’s targeted by terrorists avenging her father’s actions in Afghanistan. The FBI has stepped in, but when it looks like they are using her for bait, General McClellan enlists the aid of the only man he knows he can trust: former Navy SEAL Ike Calhoun.

Embracing solitude in his remote cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Ike thought he’d left the War on Terror far behind. Now he’s stuck shielding a blue-eyed beauty from ambitious federal agents and crazed jihadists. More disturbing still, the charming Eryn seems intent on shattering his self-imposed isolation. Ike does his best to resist her welcoming ways, but he can feel his restraint eroding like a mountain in a mudslide. With the FBI hot on their heels and the terrorists not far behind, Ike willingly wages a one-man war in defense of the woman whose passion and faith have given him the strength to rise above his past.

I’ve enjoyed these in the past and I may enjoy these, but I’m starting to get a sense of the ridiculous as to one man being called upon when no one else will do and being targeted on US soil by terrorists avenging actions taken in Afghanistan. I mean, if that were true, entire swaths of families of servicemen and women would need the lone man protector.

Nonetheless, this book has fairly good reviews and if you like road romances or cabin romances, it sounds like this would be right up your alley.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace BurrowesBridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes. $ Free

From the Jacket Copy:

Ian MacGregor is wooing a woman who’s wrong for him in every way. As the new Earl of Balfour, though, he must marry an English heiress to repair the family fortunes.But in his intended’s penniless chaperone, Augusta, Ian is finding everything he’s ever wanted in a wife.

Horribly historically inaccurate but hey, free. She’s got a strong voice, but it’s very contemporary so think of these as more like small town pastoral contemporaries rather than historical romances.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Through A Dark Mist (Robin Hood Trilogy)  by Marsha Canham(Marsha Canham)Through A Dark Mist by Marsha Canham . $ .99 | 7.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Book One of the Robin Hood trilogy, Award-winning, Best Historical of the Year from Romantic Times: “A legend is brilliantly brought to life on the pages…it unfolds with all the adventure, rollicking good humor, wildly exciting escapades, cliff-hangers, and, most of all, smoldering sensuality any reader could desire.”

For some reason (maybe it is an Amazon exclusive? I can’t tell), this book is only found on Amazon but I did find a box set of the entire trilogy at BN and Kobo. Kobo has a 35% off coupon thanks7_815 to help reduce the costs of the trilogy.

Three books in one: Through A Dark Mist, In the Shadow of Midnight, and The Last Arrow. The author’s version of how the legend of Robin Hood began, featuring all your favorite characters: Little John, Maid Marienne, Guy de Gisbourne, Friar Tuck, and of course, Robin of the Hood. Book One starts at the beginning, in the misty greenwood, when an outlaw named the Black Wolf kidnaps a young bride…

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Carolyne
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 14:07:13

I thought, what the hey, I’ll try anything Robin Hood-related for 99 cents… only to discover that I’d already downloaded it in August 2011, for free.

Thank goodness for Amazon’s “instant order update,” is all I can say. Actually, I can also say that I need to figure out a better way to organise my eBooks and TBRs. Two years without remembering it was there. Oof.

2. leftcoaster
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 14:15:00

I love Grace Burrow’s emo dudes- love them-, but I have to be in the right mood for her non-historical historicals. I wish she would write contemporaries.

3. Mary
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 14:25:18

I *love* the Robin Hood series by Marsha Canham. Definitely my favorite romance novel interpretation.

The novel with the fat-shaming isn’t by Janet Evanovich, it’s by Stephanie Evanovich, who is related to Janet’s husband, I think. But they are different authors.

4. Jayne
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:04:21

“General McClellan?” Really? Really?

5. Char
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:05:07

Janet Evanovich has nothing to do with Stephanie Evanovich. She even posted on her Facebook page

Q: Are you and Stephanie Evanovich the same person, or is this another co-author?
    A: No. It seems there is an author using the name Stephanie Evanovich. Janet has no association with her work

Q: Are you and Stephanie Evanovich related?

A: Janet is not related to Stephanie Evanovich Gaspich by blood. Evanovich is Janet’s married name. We wish Stephanie the best in her writing career, but it is extremely important to Janet that she is always honest with her readers about co-authored novels and projects she has helped with. You deserve to be treated with respect and gratitude, and to know that “Stephanie Evanovich” and “Janet Evanovich” are two different people and authors.

**Sorry for not posting this part earlier. On Facebook less is usually more, but it seems I should have posted everything we have on the site’s daily news this time. — Alex (webmaster/Janet’s daughter)

Stephanie Evanovich’s Facebook page says she is Janet’s niece by marriage.

6. EGS
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:27:54

I’m always up for a free ebook. I don’t mind historical-lite as long as the voice is strong, i.e. Tessa Dare. Serving girls marrying dukes? The plot is ridiculous but dammit if she doesn’t manage to get me hook, line, and sinker every time.

7. Glittergirl
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:28:31

Grace Burrowes THE BRIDEGROOM WORE PLAID is one of my top books of 2013 so far this year. I strongly urge you to download it and read it NOW. I adored it and the followup #2 Once Upon a Tartan is out next week .

8. Lada
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:41:22

@Char: Wow…that’s a lot of BS to try and blur “she’s my niece by marriage”. If Stephanie didn’t plan on cashing in on the Evanovich name, I’m sure she (with encouragement from aunty) would have published under a pseudonym.

9. cleo
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 15:45:10

I read Back to the Bedroom when it was re-released a few years ago and enjoyed it, though I don’t remember a lot of details. The heroine is a driven concert cellist and the hero is laid back and a good guy – iirc the plot is far-fetched but entertaining and I liked the characters.

10. leslie
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 16:24:58

@Char: Good job. I did the same thing over a SBTB.
    Janet Evanovich must be spitting nails.

11. mari
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 16:38:18

Disliked the Burrows myself. Hero has like five brothers (or maybe 4 and one sister I can’t remember) and every single one hooks up and gets married. Every. Single. One. If you don’t mind secondary, tertiary and quadrupl-y romances, this may be your book. And its not like an aside, ALL of them are major plot threads. So this one didn’t work for me.

12. Elise-Maria
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 16:45:37

For anyone interested in reading the Robin Hood Trilogy, all three books can be had in paperback form FREE at paperbackswap.com
    I’ve gotten many many books from this site including Crossfire series, 50SogG series, and more that have been recent best sellers on Amazon.

13. library addict
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 17:08:38

I no longer read the Plum series, and agree Stephanie is probably using her maiden name for the recognition factor/being shelved next to her aunt, but I have no issues with her using the name she was born with. She’s just as likely to have people never pick her up her book(s) because they aren’t fans of Janet’s as she is to attract readers who like her.

I think the whole “not related by blood” was a bizarre way to answer the question. I know not every family is close, but I don’t know anyone who refers to their relatives as “My aunt/uncle by marriage.” I could see if Stephanie was already grown when Janet got married, but it doesn’t seem to be the case here.

14. MikiS
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 19:58:34

I’ve really enjoyed the Grace Burrowes books I’ve read so far. I guess I should be embarrassed to admit that I don’t know enough English history to recognize historical inaccuracies (it’s not like she’s got the English ladies driving cars, or anything), so those go over my head. Sometimes I wish I could find a site for all these books people say are “horribly historically inaccurate” so I could find out what they’re talking about.

There have been some historicals I’ve read that I thought had very contemporary language (Amanda Quick and her heroine’s use of “good grief” or “oh my god” comes to mind immediately, since I have one of her books playing in my MP3 player at the moment). For whatever reason, I didn’t particularly think Burrowes was bad for that…she doesn’t sound like Austen, but few really do! I remember reading a few of Lynn Connolly’s historicals years ago and thinking that those were the first contemporarily written historicals that actually made me look twice at the publication date – the language seemed to my ear to be authentic to the time.

15. MikiS
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 20:04:08

Oops. Went off on a tangent, and didn’t even say what I meant to. My only problem with Burrowes is that this year we’ve just been bombed with her books – seems like there’s one or two new ones every month! It makes me wonder at the quality, when they’re churning them out like this…and I found I just wanted to read something else for awhile. I’m a lot more likely to get overly critical when I read/listen to too many books in a row by the same author. The verbal tics start to become more noticeable. (I was doing a re-read of the Michelle Sagara “Elantra” series and toward the end, I got to the point where I’d cringe when she’d tack on “no more, no less” to the end of some statement or other – she really overuses that phrase!)

16. Janet Mullany
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 21:50:35

@Carolyne:
    How weird. Me too. And I think I archived it, for reasons of unbearableness.

17. sula
    Aug 01, 2013 @ 10:03:04

If you “buy” the Burrowes book (it was free last night), Amazon offers you the audiobook through Audible for $3.49. Which is a super cheap price. I bought it and am a couple of chapters in via listening and am enjoying the narration so far. Just a tip for those who might want to try going the audio route.

18. Coupons, Freebies | Free Village .com | Coupons, Deals, Savings
    Aug 01, 2013 @ 12:58:44

[...] Daily Deals: Cheap deals and freebies – Dear Author http://dearauthor.com/I remember these early Loveswept books by Janet Evanovich and was highly entertained by them. Plus, no fat shaming that I can remember! (The fat shaming reference comes from the review over at Smart Bitches. Sarah was … [...]

19. Glittergirl
    Aug 01, 2013 @ 17:07:26

Grace Burrowes has so many books coming out because she wrote them for a while before she was picked up by a publisher. They are “doleing” them out to us on their time schedule. I’ve really enjoyed her MacGregor series and the quality is just fine by me. I found it rich and engrossing, wanting more.