Daily Deals: CEOs needing help, baby turtles, humanity’s end

A Brother's Honor (The Grangers)  by Brenda JacksonA Brother’s Honor by Brenda Jackson. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

The Granger brothers left behind their family’s Virginia estate—and the bad memories it holds—years ago. But their dying grandfather’s request brings them home: to a failing business, a legacy of secrets and a deathbed promise to make things right.

As the eldest brother, attorney Jace Granger is determined to take responsibility for Granger Aeronautics, his family’s failing business. But the years of mismanagement seem impossible to untangle. As CEO, he hires a consultant to turn the company around. Smart, sexy Shana Bradford is the right person for the job—and the right woman to turn Jace’s world upside down.

But the passion between them is jeopardized when old secrets begin to emerge. A woman from Jace’s past suddenly reappears. And an explosive discovery changes everything Jace thinks he knows about his mother—and his father, who was convicted of her murder.

Jace Granger tried to leave his family history behind once before. But this time he needs to face the past?or risk losing his future.

Three brothers. One legacy. A lifetime of secrets.

I believe Jackson is one of the top selling category authors for Harlequin. If you like her books, this is a steal.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

5YfZAAAAQBAJThe Trouble with Mojitos by Romy Sommer. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

THE TROUBLE WITH MOJITOS

From the author of the fabulous Waking up in Vegas comes another fun, flirty and wickedly sexy romance!

Let the fairytale come alive…

Turquoise blue waters. Sandy white beaches. Mojitos…

Film location scout Kenzie Cole has found herself in paradise. And working in the Caribbean for a week is just what she needs to escape the long line of exes in her closet.

Though the last thing she expects is to be picked up at the resort bar by a disgraced former Prince!

Luckily for Kenzie, exile is suiting the man formerly known as Prince Fredrik very well. And it’s not long before his rugged, pirate charm is proving hard to resist.

But Rik’s been spending his time in paradise exorcising demons of his own and he has danger written all over him. If Kenzie was sensible she’d run a mile instead of lose herself to her lust – although, they do say that sometimes you have to get lost before you can be found….

One of the reviews said that the hero is a chauvinist. She meant it as a compliment, but beware. Perhaps the baby turtles also referenced make up for that?

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

2940148337621_p0_v3_s260x420Ecstasy Unbound by Setta Jay. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

As one of the twelve Guardians of the Realms, Urian has spent the last several centuries in a constant battle to keep the inhabitants of Earth’s Realms under control. Humanity needed to evolve, hell beasts needed to die, and Immortal races needed mates. Unfortunately, he found that he cared less about duty, and more about when his sexy voyeur would again grace the shadows to watch as he and his brother Guardian shared one of the human females frequenting the club. All Guardians were forbidden contact with the little goddess and her brothers, but his need for her was escalating. He found it more difficult than ever to keep from pinning her face down on the nearest surface, and making her his.

Alexandra and her brothers have avoided exile from the human Realm for centuries, ever since the Creators sent the Gods to sleep for their sins against humanity, and banished the Immortals. She has always known that she was needed on Earth. Only once had she gone against her instincts and the price she paid will forever haunt her. It is for that reason she forces herself to stay away from the only male that has ever truly enticed her. The only one that has ever made her flesh heat, and her stomach quiver with desire.

In desperate need to help her beloved brother, she will have to go to the enthralling Guardian, her dark obsession. He is her best hope to get the help she needs, even though he would surely attempt to exile her. She won’t go easily…

Mistress L from SM Book Obsessions says that Setta Jay’s Ecstasy series is underrated. This title is 99c and Ecstasy Claimed is 99c and Hidden Ecstasy is free. I have a very hard time spelling Ecstasy and Obsession. Just FYI.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

61Dzd5dzCWYCParasite by Mira Grant. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.

We owe our good health to a humble parasite — a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the Intestinal Bodyguard worm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system — even secretes designer drugs. It’s been successful beyond the scientists’ wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them.

But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives . . . and will do anything to get them.

This is one of those books that are being discounted at every place BUT Amazon because they are in a pissing match with Hachette. Angie James loves Mira Grant.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. cg
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 14:14:41

JC Daniels/Shiloh Walker’s Blade Song, the first book in the Colbana Files series is free at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Song-Colbana-Files-Book-ebook/dp/B008G0R6GM/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1404328091&sr=1-3&keywords=jc+daniels+colbana+files.

I love this series and she can’t write them fast enough for me.

2. Darlynne
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:08:23

I love Mira Grant’s books, too, and wasn’t put off by PARASITE. Must have more.

3. Darlynne
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:16:01

Slightly OT: Now, if *I* were Hachette and wanted to stick it to Amazon, *I* would discount just about everything I publish. 20-25% off could jar a lot of buyers loose and really make a dent since Amazon doesn’t seem to want to blink first.

4. Lostshadows
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 15:23:32

Rats. When I saw Parasite I was hoping it was a sign that that crap was over.

Parasite is a good read, especially at that price.

5. Michele Mills
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 16:21:48

@Darlynne: Parasite looks interesting. But is it romance or straight sci fi? I need to know- if a book doesn’t have an HEA, I don’t read it.:)

6. Alexandra
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 17:08:17

Parasite looks really good – I’ve been in a sci-fi mood lately so that will be my read for the weekend. I popped over to Goodreads and there’s a sequel out this fall as well. I’d typically pick it up in the Kindle Store but….. I keep a copy of all my books in Calibre so I at least I learned something new today getting it there after buying from a different seller.

7. Lindsay
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 17:43:25

I love Parasite and am eagerly awaiting the sequel this fall. Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire’s horror-alias, so there is death and blood and SCIENCE (as opposed to death and blood and MAGIC) but if there is romance it mostly takes a back seat, although there are often established relationships coming into the book. This ends on a DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN moment because it’s part one of three but I’ve read it twice now and still enjoy it by itself.

As a Seanan McGuire book there will also be awesome characters, tons of cast diversity, women will never be sexually assaulted ever, and there will be general mayhem. Her Incryptid books are romance-ier than anything else she writes (Discount Armageddon is pretty great).

8. Darlynne
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 18:22:32

@Michele Mills: No, I wouldn’t call it a romance, although there are romantic elements. Definitely no HEA or even HFN. If you can get beyond that, you’re in for an excellent scifi adventure.

@Alexandra: If you haven’t read it, Andy Weir’s THE MARTIAN is $5.12 at Amazon. It’s fun, all about science and survival of the last astronaut stranded on Mars.

9. Annie V
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 18:30:18

I really love it here at DA, the only place I have found other people who read both Angela Thirkell and Mira Grant.

10. peggy h
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 19:42:46

I gave a shriek that startled the husband when I read about the deal on Parasitology (just checked–been on my Amazon wish list since August 13, 2013.) I loved her Newsflesh trilogy, but I was waiting/hoping for a deal, considering the size of my TBR file/pile. THANK YOU! Just got it from Kobo.

11. Susan
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 22:25:51

@cg: I’ll second the rec for the Colbana Files. I’ll admit that I was a bit on the fence with the first one, but the series really started to hit its stride after that. Eagerly awaiting the next book. (Warning that the books could be trigger-y for some readers. Bad things happen. A lot is “off screen,” but the consequences are fairly traumatic.)

12. Lauren
    Jul 03, 2014 @ 11:43:55

I actually didn’t like Blade Song. I knew going in that it would be along the same lines as the Kate Daniels series, and it was close enough that I had a hard time not comparing the two. I could have gotten over that, but what really killed it for me (though I did finish it) was the absolute turn around-it felt like Kit went from despising the male lead to ‘ok, we had sex once, let’s do this thing!’ within 20 pages-and then ignores the possible consequences WHICH HE WARNS HER ABOUT REPEATEDLY. I also feel like she took advantage of him, which irritates me. I can’t buy a HEA or even a HFN under those circumstances.

I just couldn’t buy it. It also felt like it wrapped up too quickly and neatly for me-like there was a slow slow buildup, then *poof* here’s the bad guy! this story’s done.

13. Janine
    Jul 04, 2014 @ 13:54:27

I see that Parasite finally dropped in price at Amazon too. Does this mean they are discounting Hachette books?