Daily Deals: Box sets and a creepy middle grade book

The Summit Authors Present: Favorite Romance ThemesTMThe Summit Authors Present by Various. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

The Summit Authors Present: Favorite Romance Themes™ is a set of six boxed sets centered around classic themes beloved by romance readers. Three new sets from this innovative collection are on sale now. Whether you love good guys, bad boys, or wounded heroes, you won’t want to miss them. Each set includes four or five full-length novels from some of today’s most exciting authors—all at an irresistible price: just 99c each for a limited time!

Buy all 6 Favorite Romance Themes™ boxed sets and you’ll get 27 (yes, twenty-seven) bestselling, award-winning romance novels for less than $6. It’s the biggest romance bargain of the summer, so hurry and grab yours today, because a deal this big can’t last!

Good Guy Heroes Boxed Set (Favorite Romance Themes™)
He’s the one who won’t let you down. A man of honor, a peace-keeper, a hero with a heart of gold. If you need a protector, he’s your man. Every woman dreams of a knight in shining armor who will keep her—and her heart—safe when the going gets tough. You’ll find five of them right here. This boxed set features five full-length romance novels with “good guy” heroes by Julie Ortolon, Wendy Lindstrom, Patricia McLinn, and special guest authors Jacquie D’Alessandro and Lauren Royal.

Bad Boy Heroes Boxed Set (Favorite Romance Themes™)
Outlaws, rebels and rogues. A bad boy is the guy with a leather jacket, a killer reputation, and little regard for the rules. He’s more than a little dangerous—but you just can’t resist. Take a walk on the wild side with one of these men and you might lose more than your heart. This boxed set features four full-length romance novels with “bad boy” heroes by Patricia Ryan, Judith Arnold, Kathryn Shay, and special guest author Barbara Samuel.

Wounded Heroes Boxed Set (Favorite Romance Themes™)
He’s a loner and a lost soul, the man who keeps to the shadows. He may have believed in love once, but not anymore. Whether his scars are physical or emotional, he’s hurting and vulnerable and in need of redemption—but to get it, he’ll need a Beauty with enough courage to tame the Beast. This boxed set features five full-length romance novels with “wounded” heroes by Judith Arnold, Kathryn Shay, Patricia Ryan, and special guest authors Jean Brashear and Lisa Mondello.

3 sets of books at 99c each. Authors include: Julie Ortolon, Wendy Lindstrom, Patricia McLinn, Jacquie D’Alessandro and Lauren Royal; Patricia Ryan, Judith Arnold, Kathryn Shay, and Barbara Samuel; and Judith Arnold, Kathryn Shay, Patricia Ryan, and Jean Brashear and Lisa Mondello.

AmazonBNKoboApple

Truly Madly Yours  by Rachel GibsonTruly Madly Yours by Rachel Gibson. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Where there’s a will. . .

When pretty hairdresser Delaney Shaw returned home to Truly, Idaho, for the reading of her stepfather’s will, she planned on paying her respects and getting out of town. But it seems the will has some unexpected stipulations-like the one that says if Delaney wants her inheritance she needs to stay put and have nothing to so with sexy Nick Allegrezza. . .for an entire year!

There’s no way

Ten years ago, Nick had swept Delaney off her feet and onto his Harley, and that’s when she really let her down her Hair! Back then, he was a love-’em-and-leave-’em man, and Delaney learned the hard way that she was just a fling. But Nick is as irresistible as ever. And when the ladies at Tuesday night Bingo see Nick and Delaney making after-hours whoopee through the window of a local beauty parlor, Delaney knows it’s time to decide if Nick I truly, madly the man of her heart.

We’ve reviewed several Rachel Gibson books but not this one. I don’t even remember if I read this one. Commenters?

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Shanna  by Kathleen E. WoodiwissShanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

A pact is sealed in secret behind the foreboding walls of Newgate Prison. In return for a night of unparalleled pleasure, a dashing condemned criminal consents to wed a beautiful heiress, thereby rescuing her with his name from an impending and abhorred arranged union. But in the fading echoes of hollow wedding vows, a solemn promise is broken, as a sensuous free spirit takes flight to a lush Caribbean paradise, abandoning the stranger she married to face the gallows unfulfilled.

But Ruark Beauchamp’s destiny is now eternally intertwined with that of the tempestuous, intoxicating Shanna. He will be free . . . and he will find her. For no iron ever forged can imprison his resolute passion. And no hangman’s noose will deny Ruark the ecstasy that is rightfully his.

This is a romance classic, but the dated themes and tropes from the 70s might be maddening.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Doll Bones Holly BlackDoll Bones by Holly Black. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

A doll that may be haunted leads three friends on a thrilling adventure in this delightfully creepy novel from the New York Times bestselling cocreator of the Spiderwick Chronicles.Zach, Poppy, and Alice have been friends forever. And for almost as long, they’ve been playing one continuous, ever-changing game of pirates and thieves, mermaids and warriors. Ruling over all is the Great Queen, a bone-china doll cursing those who displease her.

But they are in middle school now. Zach’s father pushes him to give up make-believe, and Zach quits the game. Their friendship might be over, until Poppy declares she’s been having dreams about the Queen—and the ghost of a girl who will not rest until the bone-china doll is buried in her empty grave.

Zach and Alice and Poppy set off on one last adventure to lay the Queen’s ghost to rest. But nothing goes according to plan, and as their adventure turns into an epic journey, creepy things begin to happen. Is the doll just a doll or something more sinister? And if there really is a ghost, will it let them go now that it has them in its clutches?

Creepy middle grade book that tackles issues of peer pressure and gender normativity.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Amy Kathryn
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 14:15:19

I think it is too high for the deals post, but as someone trying to replace my paperback keepers I picked up Lion’s Lady by Julie Garwood when the price dropped recently to $3.99 for Kindle and Nook.

2. Lada
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 14:26:20

I think Truly, Madly Yours is fairly typical of Gibson’s romances sans the hockey. The premise is one that’s hard to buy in to in a contemporary setting and there’s something about the Spanish Basque heritage (hero’s family) I was hoping would be a greater part of the story than it ended up being. Good for a quick, light read but ultimately forgettable.

3. Heather
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 15:28:47

@Lada: If it’s forgettable, it’s not worth $2.99. Thanks, Lada!

4. Lammie
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 15:31:15

Shanna is probably one of the few Woodiwiss books that be could be read today without too much wincing. I remember it well from my teenage years, but a modern reader may not appreciate it.

5. hapax
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 15:40:55

I loved DOLL BONES and it’s definitely creepy, but not really about “peer pressure” or “gender normativity”. It’s about friendship, and the fine line between stories and reality (?), and the bittersweet loss of growing up and “putting away childish things.”

6. Kay
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 16:31:25

I picked up the Holly Black, thanks!

Publishers, in case you ever read this: while I can’t speak for anyone else, when I see that the Kindle edition of an upcoming book (in this case, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown) is somehow listed as free, and then I excitedly click over to get it and then find it’s only the preview copy of the first eight chapters… it ticks me off. First, it feels like a bait and switch, which makes me less interested in even reading the book’s description. Second, in this case, it appears to mean that I can’t preorder the Kindle version even if I want to. Grr.

7. Anne
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 16:46:56

@Kay

It looks like Coldtown is available for preorder, delivery date of 9.3.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

8. Kay
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 17:02:57

@Anne:

Thanks, Anne! It’s great to know that it can be ordered. Now I wonder why that ‘normal’ edition doesn’t show up as an alternative (along with hardcover and paperback and two kinds of audio) on the preview page.

9. Amanda
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 18:18:13

@Amy Kathryn:

Thank You for posting about The Lions Lady. I just recently started reading Garwood (shameful I know) and I am very slowly buying her backlist. Can’t wait to read this one.

10. cecilia
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 18:27:31

I tried rereading Shanna earlier this year. It was a DNF. Absolute torture to slog through the overwrought syntax and often laughable imagery. Even for $2.99, I’d suggest people read a sample before they buy.

11. Anne
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 19:23:41

@Kay: You’re welcome. That is really odd though! It doesn’t show on her author page either. I found it simply by doing a title search on the kindle store. Maybe because it’s a preorder? It does show on my ereaderiq page for her but that’s probably because they go by name rather than a specific author.

12. Kaetrin
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 20:04:51

I haven’t read/re-read Shanna in a while but I remember it very fondly. Shanna is a bit of an immature cow for most of the book but Ruark was pretty special and I like the scenes near the end in the US the best I think. I can’t decide if it should be in the “guilty pleasure” category or not but it’s on my keeper shelf.

I have the Rachel Gibson too. I don’t remember a lot about it now but I did enjoy it at the time. I went through a Gibson phase and glommed on all of her backlist at once and that was one of them.

13. Dabney
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 21:01:51

I’m a Gibson fan but this one did little for me.

14. Keishon
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 23:51:41

I loved Shanna when I read it years ago. Whether I could read it today is another story. Holly Black is great storyteller. I bought that book awhile ago at that price.

15. RevMelindaPDX
    Aug 20, 2013 @ 01:29:21

I remember liking Shanna back in the day. Can’t buy it now tho, because I’m boycotting books where the back-cover text describes the heroine as “tempestuous.” It’s like fingernails on the blackboard for me.

16. Rosario
    Aug 20, 2013 @ 04:36:50

I read Truly, Madly Yours years ago. I liked the heroine, but really despised the assholic ‘hero’. Definitely not Gibson’s best, I’d give it a pass.

My secondary school library had a copy of Shanna (who knows how it got there, it had a clinch cover and everything), and I borrowed it multiple times. I didn’t particularly like it (even then, I didn’t like old-school), but it was romance, and I had no idea where else I could get romance.