Daily Deals: Archeology with a touch of fae; Tragedy in Johnstown;...

Cold Iron by D.L. McDermottCold Iron by D.L. McDermott. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

For fans of Jeaniene Frost and Kresley Cole, this full-length novel is the first in D.L. McDermott’s fast-paced, sexy paranormal romance series—available exclusively in ebook!

The Fae, the Good Neighbors, the Fair Folk, the Aes Sídhe, creatures of preternatural beauty and seduction. Archaeologist Beth Carter doesn’t believe in them. She’s always credited her extraordinary ability to identify ancient Celtic sites to hard work and intuition—until she discovers a tomb filled with ancient treasure but missing a body. Her ex-husband, the scholar who stifled her career to advance his own, is unconcerned. Corpses don’t fetch much on the antiquities market. Gold does. Beth knows from past experience that if she isn’t vigilant, Frank will make off with the hoard.

So when a man—tall, broad shouldered, and impossibly handsome—turns up in her bedroom claiming to be the tomb’s inhabitant, one of mythic god-kings of old Ireland, Beth believes it is a ploy cooked up by her ex-husband to scare her away from the excavation.

But Conn is all too real. Ancient, alien, irresistible, the Fae are the stuff of dreams and nightmares, their attentions so addictive their abandoned human lovers wither and die. And this one has fixed his supernatural desire on Beth.

The first two books in this series are on sale for $1.99. I bought the first one and have been meaning to read it. I guess it’s time. The author is a sometime commenter at DA and has been a long time member of the community here.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Dark Light of Day by T. M. FrazierThe Dark Light of Day by T. M. Frazier. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

Caution: This is not your typical romance. The story of Abby & Jake contains disturbing situations, graphic violence, sex, strong language, drug use, and all types of abuse.
Abby has been through hell and has survived one of the most brutal childhoods imaginable…barely.

To the outside world she is just a loner with an attitude.

When her grandmother dies in a tragic explosion, Abby is left with questions-and nothing else.

Homeless, sleeping in a junkyard, and on the run from a system that has failed her over and over again, she meets Jake, a tattooed blue-eyed biker with secrets that rival her own.

Two broken souls that can’t be healed. They can’t be saved.

Abby & Jake have to decide if they can accept the darkness not only within one another, but within themselves.

If they can accept each other for who they really are, they might be able to learn that love isn’t always found in the light.

This is very readable but there was one too many rapes in it for me to be able to fully recommend it. If that doesn’t bother you, it’s one of those books with high angst and emotion.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

The Traitor's Wife by Allison PatakiThe Traitor’s Wife by Allison Pataki. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

A riveting historical novel about Peggy Shippen Arnold, the cunning wife of Benedict Arnold and mastermind behind America’s most infamous act of treason . . .

Everyone knows Benedict Arnold—the Revolutionary War general who betrayed America and fled to the British—as history’s most notorious turncoat. Many know Arnold’s co-conspirator, Major John André, who was apprehended with Arnold’s documents in his boots and hanged at the orders of General George Washington. But few know of the integral third character in the plot: a charming young woman who not only contributed to the betrayal but orchestrated it.

Socialite Peggy Shippen is half Benedict Arnold’s age when she seduces the war hero during his stint as military commander of Philadelphia. Blinded by his young bride’s beauty and wit, Arnold does not realize that she harbors a secret: loyalty to the British. Nor does he know that she hides a past romance with the handsome British spy John André. Peggy watches as her husband, crippled from battle wounds and in debt from years of service to the colonies, grows ever more disillusioned with his hero, Washington, and the American cause. Together with her former love and her disaffected husband, Peggy hatches the plot to deliver West Point to the British and, in exchange, win fame and fortune for herself and Arnold.

Told from the perspective of Peggy’s maid, whose faith in the new nation inspires her to intervene in her mistress’s affairs even when it could cost her everything, The Traitor’s Wife brings these infamous figures to life, illuminating the sordid details and the love triangle that nearly destroyed the American fight for freedom.

PW says ” Pataki smoothly weaves intrigue and personality with critical historical facts. The phases of Peggy’s and Clara’s relationship mirror the class differences and rising tensions of the revolutionary era. Clara and her fellow servants, who embody the spirit of the everyday patriot citizen, are written with detail and depth. Historical fiction lovers will look forward to more from this promising new novelist. “

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Johnstown Flood by David McCulloughThe Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. $ 3.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

The stunning story of one of America’s great disasters, a preventable tragedy of Gilded Age America, brilliantly told by master historian David McCullough.

At the end of the nineteenth century, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, was a booming coal-and-steel town filled with hardworking families striving for a piece of the nation’s burgeoning industrial prosperity. In the mountains above Johnstown, an old earth dam had been hastily rebuilt to create a lake for an exclusive summer resort patronized by the tycoons of that same industrial prosperity, among them Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, and Andrew Mellon. Despite repeated warnings of possible danger, nothing was done about the dam. Then came May 31, 1889, when the dam burst, sending a wall of water thundering down the mountain, smashing through Johnstown, and killing more than 2,000 people. It was a tragedy that became a national scandal.

Graced by David McCullough’s remarkable gift for writing richly textured, sympathetic social history, The Johnstown Flood is an absorbing, classic portrait of life in nineteenth-century America, of overweening confidence, of energy, and of tragedy. It also offers a powerful historical lesson for our century and all times: the danger of assuming that because people are in positions of responsibility they are necessarily behaving responsibly.

The bestselling author of The Path Between the Seas and Mornings on Horseback makes available again his classic chronicle of the tragic Johnstown, Pennsylvania flood of 1889.

David McCullough has twice received the Pulitzer Prize, for Truman and John Adams and is called the best social historian of our time.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Lisa J
    May 20, 2014 @ 14:44:35

I picked up Cold Iron the last time it was a daily deal and really enjoyed it. The second in the series, Silver Skin was also good. Although, I’m sorry I bought it before it was discounted. I never learn.

2. SonomaLass
    May 20, 2014 @ 15:20:54

Cold Steel definitely sounds worth reading; I bought it. Also the McCullough book — that’s a good price!

3. Heather Greye
    May 20, 2014 @ 16:08:22

I picked up Cold Iron the last time it was a deal too…and stayed up all night reading it.

I enjoyed the second book as well and I’m looking forward to the third, though I wish the pre-order price would drop a little bit.

4. Melissa
    May 20, 2014 @ 16:16:09

I picked up the Pataki book….that cover is beautiful.

I am trying not to sound or write like a fangirl, but McCullough is such a gifted writer and his subject matter hits at historical events/people/places that often get the shaft for more glamorous topics. I have this book on my TBR pile.

5. Kate Sherwood
    May 20, 2014 @ 16:58:03

I only know about the Johnstown Flood because of the Springsteen song – time to do a little learnin’!

6. cleo
    May 20, 2014 @ 16:58:20

Hmm, I may have to get The Johnstown Flood. I already know that it’s the first peace-time disaster where the American Red Cross gave aid.

7. Melanie
    May 20, 2014 @ 19:59:32

It’s been years since I read it, but I remember “The Johnstown Flood” being excellent. I think it was David McCullough’s first book.

8. Justine
    May 20, 2014 @ 20:26:31

Turning Up the Heat by Laura Florand dropped to $0.99 from $2.99 on Amazon. It’s the novella prequel to her La Vie en Roses series.

9. Michele Mills
    May 20, 2014 @ 22:21:56

You have so many good books today!

I bought Cold Iron when it was on here last and loved it, definately buying the sequel.

The Dark Light of Day is a terrific book, couldn’t put it down. Yes, there’s a graphic rape scene. But don’t let that deter you. Engrossing story, romantic, hot hero.

I’m a huge David McCullough fan. I’ve listened to The Johnstown Flood, Truman, and the building of both the Panama Canal and Brooklyn Bridge all on audio while driving around in the car. I remember the Johnstown Flood had detailed imagery of the tragedy and it’s impact on the people who lived there. It’s sort of like watching a disaster movie.

10. MaryK
    May 20, 2014 @ 22:35:37

An Amazon reviewer who gave Cold Iron 4 stars (!?) says “if you enjoy dystopian, hopelessness and depression then this might be your book.” Any feedback from those of you who liked it? Also, is it really Romance or UF?

11. Heather Greye
    May 20, 2014 @ 23:30:25

@MaryK: Wow, I wouldn’t call it dystopian, hopeless or depressing. Or urban fantasy for that matter.

It’s definitely a romance, as is the sequel. The heroine is an archaeologist who discovers the hero. Vague, but I don’t want to spoil the story.

It’s got action and adventure and I thought it was a lot of fun. A bit of the hero of book 1 (and book 2) being an ass, but nothing irredeemable.

Hope that helps.

12. Kaetrin
    May 21, 2014 @ 00:33:59

I was all ready to do the one click for Cold Iron but it’s a US only special. Oh well.

13. Fallen Professor
    May 21, 2014 @ 08:34:45

@Kaetrin: I’m in Canada, and got it for the reduced price. Maybe the deal expired?

14. Maura
    May 21, 2014 @ 09:51:38

I just picked up “The Traitor’s Wife” for my Nook. I’m a bit of a Benedict Arnold aficionada so I’m a little bit wary (as I feel Peggy’s gotten a bit of a bad rap and it looks like the author’s on board with that), but I’ll give it a try! And the cover is gorgeous.

15. Janine
    May 21, 2014 @ 10:22:09

Hmm, Alison Pataki is the daughter of the former NY state governor. Since she couldn’t have chosen her father, I bought the book anyway.

16. Maria D.
    May 21, 2014 @ 10:47:39

Definitely checking out the deals on the D.L. McDermott books…thanks

17. Lisa J
    May 21, 2014 @ 14:18:51

@MaryK:Everything Heather Greye said. Both books were compelling reads. I also devoured them in a day or less. the blurb for the third book features a character from the first two books (although more heavily featured in the second book) and I can’t wait to read his story.

18. Kaetrin
    May 21, 2014 @ 21:25:34

@Fallen Professor: sometimes the territories are US only or US/Can but not Australia and UK. It’s weird and frustrating.

It’s not like I don’t have anything to read however. I’m sure it will be on special or I’ll be able to use a coupon for it one day. It’s wishlisted for now.

19. Fallen Professor
    May 22, 2014 @ 08:09:55

@Kaetrin: I know, it’s really frustrating sometimes. Last week there was a great deal for Kenyon’s first 24 Dark Hunter novels: the whole set for $20. In Canada? Didn’t budge from $130.00+ Sigh…

And yes, my TBR pile is embarrassingly huge, but it offends me on principle ;-). Although from what I gather, prices in Australia are just ridiculous.

20. Kaetrin
    May 22, 2014 @ 19:25:50

@Fallen Professor: oh yeah they’re pretty ridiculous here. A mass market paperback runs about $22 from a bookstore and maybe $16 from a big box store like KMart. And trade paperbacks are around $35. Digital versions often run into the $15-18 range.