Daily Deals: An agoraphobic witch, a bossy pants cop, and a...

Protecting What's His (A Line of Duty Novel) (Entangled Brazen)  by Tessa BaileyProtecting What’s His by Tessa Bailey. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

She’s running from the law, and the law wants her bad.

The opportunity was just too damn delicious for Ginger Peet to pass up. The purse full of money she finds—$50,000 to be exact—could give her and her teen sister the new start they need. So she grabs the cash, her gothy sibling, and their life-sized statue of Dolly Parton, and blows outta Nashville in a cloud of dust. Chicago, here we come…

Turns out, Chicago has some pretty hot cops. Hot, intense, naughty-lookin’ cops like Derek Tyler, who looks like he could eat a girl up and leave her begging for more. And more. Tempting as he is, getting involved with the sexy homicide lieutenant next door poses a teensy problem for a gal who’s on the lam. But one thing is certain—Derek’s onto her, and he wants more than just a taste.

And as far as he’s concerned, possession is nine-tenths of the law.

I liked most of this book. The hero was really bossy in bed. What failed for me was how the heroine’s character was played out but for 99c you really can’t go wrong with this short contemporary. It’s too bad the two suffer from a bad case of jaundice. Thankfully there are treatments for that. Unfortunately it appears to have spread to other Entangled Brazen covers.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Catalyst (Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy: Preternaturals Book 3) (The Preternaturals)  by Zoe WintersThe Catalyst by Zoe Winters . $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

It started with one lost, shivering pup; it may end in a war…
Panthers don’t do responsibility. They don’t do long-term relationships. They definitely don’t raise kids. But when Z discovers a young wolf in the forest, he takes him in, unaware of the powerful beings hunting the pup.

Fiona is a witch who can’t leave her house; the birds have told her something bad will happen. The mailbox is as far as she’ll go, but even that may provide more danger than she’s bargained for. When a wolf pup stumbles into her garden, her safe, wrapped-up world heads for a free fall.

But along with danger, the pup brings a chance at love-a chance an agoraphobic witch and a bachelor panther shifter aren’t likely to find on their own.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: The Catalyst is an ensemble book that also features Jane and Cole (from Blood Lust) and Cain (from Blood Lust and Save My Soul)

This is an ensemble book per the blurb and I’m guessing it means that there are multiple couples instead of like a big dance line number where the girls sing and the shapeshifters prowl the stage growling.

But the ensemble word is a big clue because the other couples make appearances giving short shrift to the main couple. I am curious about “Z’s awesome bachelor pad” per one reviewer. I mean, what could he have there?

It reminds me of the one hockey book I read where the professional hockey player had an amazing 50 inch television that covered one whole wall. That’s a pretty tiny apartment if your wall is only 50″ wide.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Helen of Pasadena by Lian DolanHelen of Pasadena by Lian Dolan. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

This laugh-out-loud funny novel about a mom reinventing herself was written by Lian Dolan, who is a Satellite Sister, writes the nationally popular blog the Chaos Chronicles, and produces the hot Chaos Chronicles podcast. She’s a sharp and funny speaker who is much in demand.

Dear Readers, allow me to use a blurb that tells you almost nothing about the book, references a group known as the Satellite Sister (who might be the Alien version of the Daughters of the Revolution), and a blog that maybe only the people on the West Coast listen to.

For the rest of us not in the know, what the heck is this book about? Per the PW review, Helen Fairchild’s husband leaves her and then dies soon thereafter. Helen finds out they are near bankruptcy and must sell her house and find a job to continue to foot the bill for her son’s tuition. She gets a job with Dr. Patrick O’Neill, an archeologist, and they fall in love.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Broken by Karin SlaughterBroken by Karen Slaughter. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

When Special Agent Will Trent arrives in Grant County, he finds a police department determined to protect its own. Officer Lena Adams is hiding secrets from him, and while her role in the death of the county’s popular police chief is unclear, that man’s widow, Dr. Sara Linton, desperately needs Trent’s help to crack the case of a prisoner’s death. While the police force investigates the murder of a young woman pulled from a frigid lake, Trent investigates the police force. Caught between two complicated and determined women, trying to understand the facts surrounding Chief Tolliver’s death, Trent will uncover explosive secrets—and confront a thin blue line that could be murderous if crossed.

Broken, that’s how I felt after I read one of Karin Slaughter’s books. I’ve never returned to her writing after she ripped out my heart, trampled it on the ground and then poured salt on the open wound with her awful “Dear Reader letter” that she felt compelled to write to explain her choices.

Ugh. For those who haven’t read her before, Slaughter is an excellent suspense / thriller writer who has a penchant for torturing women in her books.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. JacquiC
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 14:19:31

I am interested in your reaction to Karin Slaughter’s books. I read one and enjoyed it at the time but felt afterwards that it was so violent that I couldn’t understand why I’d enjoyed it. I am not generally squeamish and lots of people seem to like our books. I am a huge fan of thrillers/suspense and was tempted to try again with the one that is discounted above. However, as is often the case, it is discounted for US readers, not Canadian ones, so there goes that idea.

Anyway, I don’t know about the “Dear Reader” letter you refer to but am now very curious…

2. Renda
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 14:46:29

The Dolan book is coming up as $10.09.

I had forgotten about her and her sisters and their podcast. I did enjoy them long ago.
    Thanks for the heads up, though. I will place this on my wish list.

3. Amanda
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 15:37:39

the “a bad cause of jaundice” comment made me laugh.

4. Liz
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 16:21:54

@Renda, it’s $1.99 at Barnes & Noble. I let Amazon know about the lower price, so they might reduce it — you know how they love to price match! :)

5. Lynn S.
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 16:22:09

Kobo has a couple of new coupon codes which made this a great day for expensive books to be released. I picked up the new Katie McGarry and Laura Florand books, for around $2.00 each. Codes are: 75off (75% off) and 80Nvbr (80% off)

6. Susan
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 16:38:57

Oh, man. I was SO excited about Helen of Pasadena being on sale, but then saw that it was still over $10 on Amazon. :-(

@JacquiC: Slaughter apparently removed the letter from her website a long time ago, but you can still find it elsewhere on the internet. Like Jane, I was a huge fan of Slaughter’s and never recovered from her betrayal (and, yes, I did feel personally betrayed). I bought a couple of the later books, but never had the energy or heart to read them.

7. Jo
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 16:46:50

Im with you in regards to the Karin Slaughter book. I’d read a couple of hers but when I heard about Beyond Reach I’ve avoided her like the plague.

8. Renda
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 16:56:42

@Liz: Thanks, , Liz.

9. Cindy
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 17:41:56

@Renda: Barnes & Noble has Helen of Pasadena for $1.99

10. hilly
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 17:43:08

Wait — “jaundice”? On my monitor, they look “bilious”.

Although I loved your recent, fever-driven reviews, I do hope that you’re feeling better, Jane. Thanks for all the laughs! ;)

11. Dee
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 17:46:12

the spoiler letter is still on Karin’s website – I just looked – she has just moved it to the FAQ section, not in the general area. I guess because I started reading her Will Trent series, before I read Grant County, I didn’t have the attachment that lots of ppl had to the characters, so Beyond Reach didn’t bother me (to date, i’ve only read Blindsighted and Beyond Reach in that series – the rest of loitering on the ipod in audiobook).

12. Jayne
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 18:16:49

@Lynn S.: Bless you. You just saved me over $25.

13. Darlynne
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 19:49:15

@Lynn S.: Kobo is so frustrating. I don’t know publishers well enough to tell who is Big 6 (or why we’re still dealing with that nonsense), but figuring out which books qualify for discounts is cumbersome. Where do you find/get the promo codes?

Nov 26, 2013 @ 19:53:35

@JacquiC: I don’t have a link to the letter, but here is my review http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/f-reviews/beyond-reach-by-karin-slaughter/

15. Liz
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 20:51:34

@Darlynne, once you do a search on Kobo, you can filter by items eligible for promo codes.
    In general, the smaller publishers (like Samhain, Siren, etc…) and self-published books are promo eligible. Harlequin, Sourcebooks and Kensington usually are too.
    I mainly find out about the codes on blogs I follow and from Goodreads groups I’m in, but you can also use sites like RetailMeNot.
    I hope that helps!

16. Kaetrin
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 20:52:26

I loved the tiny wall comment. *snort*

17. Surwat
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 13:29:09

Aftr Karen Slaughter broke my heart I vowed never to read her books again…it took me a long time to recover from Jeffrey’s death but left a bitter taste in my mouth….I wantef to kill Lena myself…must stay calm (chants to myself)

18. Lynn S.
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 17:24:19

Personally, I think that couple looks like they might have overdosed on absinthe.

@Jayne: Glad to help. There is actually another code: 95comic (95% off). I sort of thought it was only good for digital comics or maybe graphic novels, but I tried it and now have a lovely, 62 cent, jewelry book. I normally buy instructional and nonfiction books in hard copy but for that price, I could consider it a preview feature and still buy a hard copy later; it has some gorgeous projects and I might need to caress the pages.

@Darlynne: I find them on the mobilereads forum. The cut and paste link that should take you directly to the page is: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115233.

Kobo does test your shopping skills and it’s even worse since they changed the way their checkout works. They used to only have the promo code showing when you could use it and I was giddy back in September when the major publishers were discounted too. Now the box is there on every page, so, if I’m not sure, I just paste it in to find out whether they’ll let me use it.

19. Kaetrin
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 17:35:22

@Lynn S.: Yesterday I used 75off, 80Nvbr, 95comic and bookriot50. The last code was multi-use. I love love love Kobo coupons.

20. DeeCee
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 21:24:01

I was a diehard Slaughter fan for years until Beyond Reach. I refused to pay for a book of hers again. But years later I found myself bored and bought one at a ubs and still like the writing. I like her voice and style but her choices still drive me nuts. I will always be a Jeffrey/Sara pom pom girl, but I do like Will Trent too. But it will be a long time before I put full faith in her.