Daily Deals: A multicultural NA, a favorite of mine for the...

The Space Between  Victoria H. SmithThe Space Between by Victoria H. Smith. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy:

When Drake started the night at his father’s campaign fundraiser, he never imagined he’d end it being conned into buying drugs on the West Side. Losing high-stakes poker has its consequences, but he’d repeatedly face them just to hear Lacey Douglas sing. Drake sees Lacey light up the stage, and he has to have her. But his intentions for being on her side of town turn out to be the reason he can’t.

Chicago native Lacey has dreams of the opera, but life has its obstacles. Lacey has come to know her hardships as part of living in the real world and accepts them fully. When Lacey meets the intense and invigorating Drake, a fire is lit inside her, unleashing those dreams again.

Two paths that should have never crossed prove to create the exact pairing the other needs. But when their worlds take time to catch up, everything they have is tested. Finding the space between the two sides that challenge them will be hard, but it’s the only place that will keep them together.

The Space Between is a new adult contemporary romance.

This is an interracial New Adult romance. I love this cover and, of course, I bought the book.

AmazonBNSony KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Haven Creek      by     Rochelle AlersHaven Creek by Rochelle Alers. $ 2.99 Amazon | Google Play

From the Jacket Copy:

Home is where the heart is.

Architect Morgan Dane has always lived according to a plan, crossing off her achievements one by one. But when she’s offered her dream job-the restoration of historic Angels Landing Plantation on beautiful Cavanaugh Island-Morgan’s life takes an unexpected turn.

Carpenter Nathaniel Shaw once took a big chance on commitment-and lost. Needing the healing comforts of home, he returns to Haven Creek to join the family business. Nothing in the small town has changed-except for Morgan Dane. The wallflower he knew in high school has grown into a beautiful woman . . . and stirs feelings Nate isn’t sure he’s ready for.

Together Nate and Morgan find a happiness neither could have predicted. But when secrets from the past come to light, their budding relationship is threatened. Will they play it safe, or risk their hearts to build a life together?

Small town contemporaries on the sweet side. For readers of Sharon Sala, Sherryl Woods and Debbie Macomber.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAppleGoogle

Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin Series #8)      by     Jennifer EstepDeadly Sting by Jennifer Estep. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:
Overview

Red is definitely my color. Good thing, because in my line of work, I end up wearing it a lot.

Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me— Gin Blanco, aka the Spider—it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’s priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place.

Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color.

This is number 8 in the series. I have no idea whether you can start here and work backwards but one of the reviews complained of too much summary information that was unnecessary for existing readers of the series. That gives me some hope. The book was originally published in March of 2013.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

Dare You To      by     Katie McGarryDare You To by Katie McGarry. $ 2.99 Amazon | Google Play.

From the Jacket Copy:
Overview

“I dare you?”

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk’s home life, they’d send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom’s freedom and her own happiness. That’s how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn’t want her and going to a school that doesn’t understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn’t get her, but does?.

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock—with secrets he can’t tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn’t be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams—and his life—for the girl he loves, and the girl who won’t let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all?.

This is one of my favorite books of the year. It’s kind of a mature YA. There aren’t any explicit sex scenes but there’s quite a bit of tension between the two. I reviewed it here. The reason this book is getting such a high grade from me is two fold. First, I totally bought into a romance that in the beginning of the book I was sure I was going to hate and second, it features a bad attitude, prickly party girl who tried very hard to do what she thought was the right thing. The ending was a little predictable and I wished it had gone in a slightly different direction, one that would have shown Beth having a little more agency and less of a reactionary response to negative events. But, I’ll let you in on a little secret too. Our resident h8r, Jia, loved this book. B+

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. Amanda
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 14:19:45

I wouldn’t recommend starting with book 8 of the Elemental Assassin series. You could probably get away with skipping the first couple, but you’d at least need to read book 7 to get the full emotional impact of the events of book 8.

2. Isobel Carr
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 16:01:59

Released a few months ago and now $1.99? This is NOT the way to train readers to buy books when they first come out. This is how you train them to wait and see if and when it will go on sale. Just an utter fail as a marketing technique. Discount the pre-order. Discount it the first week. Discount it the first month. But DO NOT flip fans who buy it hot of the press the bird in this manner.

3. Katie
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 17:54:17

I think that this is actually the second time that Deadly Sting has been discounted. The first time may have been pre-order or shortly after release. I’ve actually got it sitting and know that I didn’t pay full price for it since I’m not that far in the series yet. I rarely buy new releases in a series if I’m not waiting on them unless they are discounted. I’ll have to go back through emails and find when I actually got it.

4. Tanya
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 18:04:29

I just bought The Space Between. I have been wanting to try NA, and this one actually sounds excellent. Love the cover, love the description, love that’s it’s interracial, love that she’s an opera singer. Just hope I love the book!

5. Rosie
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 18:31:38

Harlequin has pretty much trained me to wait for its YA ebooks. I knew Dare You To would probably be discounted within a month or two after its release, and sure enough! I saved myself about $7.

6. Joy
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 22:08:27

@Isobel Carr: I don’t know. I probably would have waited for this to come to the library if it hadn’t been on sale; I would not have bought it at all. But it wasn’t much of a wait, true, which seems unfair to the author with a new release.

7. Susan
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 22:40:15

@Isobel Carr: Yeah, this one burnz me bad. I preordered the ebook and it wasn’t discounted during that period (but I don’t know about afterwards as @Katie mentioned). To add insult to injury, Simon & Shuster charges more for ebooks than paper books–$7.99 vs. $7.19. I’ve really cut back on buying any of their books, as well as those of Random Penguin, because of it. I’ve only been buying books from series I’m already committed to, not new series/authors. But I guess I need to put them all on hold and wait for the sales.

8. Sneha
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 02:17:54

I’ve heard good things about Katie McGarry, both here at dearauthor and from my friends who rave about her previous novels. I’ve decided to take a plunge into Y.A (A genre I generally avoid!) and get ‘Dare You To’. Hope I like it!

9. Angela
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 09:52:00

@Isobel Carr: This. Absolutely. I can’t even count the number of books that I’ve pre-ordered and they suddenly were discounted within the first month or so. Always made me feel like I was a sucker for pre-ordering.

It’s not like I pre-order a lot of authors, but now it’s down to just two. The two that I read ON release day.

I think Deadly Sting was discounted about a month ago to this price or maybe a $1 more. I was irritated at that time about it too.

10. pooks
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 12:16:10

I bought The Space Between because of this listing. So far, I like how she slowly reveals details about the characters–ethnicities, in particular–instead of dumping it in awkwardly up front to make sure you know. I like the characterizations, and it’s definitely got some edgy aspects.

But please, author, learn how to use ‘couldn’t care less’ correctly because right now it’s being misused [could care less] at least once a chapter, often more. And yes, that’s fingernails on the blackboard to those who know the difference.

11. Ridley
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 18:10:43

@pooks: Good luck in your quest, but “could care less” isn’t actually wrong. Yes, “couldn’t care less” makes more sense, but the former is an acceptable idiom.

This one is like hanging a toilet paper roll. There’s no right way, but lots of strong opinions on it.

12. pooks
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 18:15:40

@Ridley:

I could care less does not mean I couldn’t care less. They are the opposite. I couldn’t care less is intended to mean, I don’t care, it would be impossible for me to care less than I do.

I could care less means, I care. I care enough that I could care less. A lot less. A little less. But less.

I’ve never seen anyone say they mean the same thing before or that they are interchangeable. I’ve seen many people refer to ‘I could care less’ as wrong, though. If you’ve seen that it’s now acceptable, I’d be curious to see which reference you’re using for my own edification.

Thanks!

13. Ridley
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 18:27:54

@pooks: Well, acceptability will vary according to house styles, but this article does a good job of pointing out how the illogical construction has legs.

14. pooks
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 18:38:15

Thanks. My google came up with a long list of ‘it’s incorrect’ sites and I didn’t dig deeper. Will go read.