Daily Deals: A high fantasy with an intriguing hook, a cheating...

Seven Forges (Seven Forges Series #1) James A. MooreSeven Forges by James A. Moore. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Overview
Captain Merros Dulver is the first in many lifetimes to find a path beyond the great mountains known as the Seven Forges and encounter, at last, the half-forgotten race who live there. And it would appear that they were expecting him. As he returns home, bringing an entourage of strangers with him, he starts to wonder whether his discovery has been such a good thing. For the gods of this lost race are the gods of war, and their memories of that far-off cataclysm have not faded.

The people of Fellein have live with legends for many centuries. To their far north, the Blasted Lands, a legacy of an ancient time of cataclysm, are vast, desolate and impassable, but that doesn’t stop the occasional expedition into their fringes in search of any trace of the ancients who had once lived there… and oft-rumored riches.

So I love this cover. The book sounds interesting but … I’m not interested in another George RR Martin type of story where all the women are raped and all the good men are killed.

AmazonBN KoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

download (1)Love, in English by Karina Halle. $ .99

From the Jacket Copy: He’s thirty-eight. I’m twenty-three.

He speaks Spanish. I speak English.

He lives in Spain. I live in Canada.

He dresses in thousand-dollar suits. I’m covered in tattoos.

He’s married and has a five-year old daughter. I’m single and can’t commit to anyone or anything.

Until now.Because when they say you can’t choose who you fall in love with, boy ain’t that the f*#king truth.

***

To a restless dreamer like Vera Miles, it sounded like the experience of a lifetime. Instead of spending her summer interning for her astronomy major, she would fly to Spain where she’d spend a few weeks teaching conversational English to businessmen and women, all while enjoying free room and board at an isolated resort. But while Vera expected to get a tan, meet new people and stuff herself with wine and paella, she never expected to fall in love.

Mateo Casalles is unlike anyone Vera has ever known, let alone anyone she’s usually attracted to. While Vera is a pierced and tatted free spirit with a love for music and freedom, Mateo is a successful businessman from Madrid, all sharp suits and cocky Latino charm. Yet, as the weeks go on, the two grow increasingly close and their relationship changes from purely platonic to something…more.

Something that makes Vera feel alive for the first time.

Something that can never, ever be.

Or so she thinks.

Against my better judgment, I bought this book about a cheating and unfaithful husband and his young mistress he meets at a English speaking language course. Brie wrote a long review of this book and the TL;DR version is “Love, In English gets a NOPE in every language.”

So why did I buy it? Because I’m a sucker for 99c sales and figure that someday someone might reference it and I might want to read it and now I have it. It’s a lame excuse. I’m a book hoarder. Don’t you all know that by now.

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREAppleGoogle

Come to Me Quietly By A.L. JacksonCome to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

From the acclaimed bestselling author of Lost to You and When We Collide comes a New Adult novel of one woman’s obsession: a man who’s as passionate as he is elusive—and as tempting as he is trouble?

Aleena Moore is haunted by Jared Holt. It’s been six years since she’s seen her brother’s best friend, the self-destructive bad boy she secretly loved in high school. As the years pass, she knows it’s time to move on. Time to decide between a practical nursing degree and her true dream as an artist. Time to get over Jared and give another guy a chance?

Just when she opens her heart to her friend, Gabe, Aly returns home to find Jared sleeping on her couch. The teenage boy she loved has grown into a man she can’t resist. Covered in tattoos and lost in rage, he’s begging to be saved from his demons—the memories of the day he destroyed his family. As the two reconnect, their passion is hot enough to torch Aly’s judgment. But can she risk her future for a man who lives on the edge of destruction?

You may not have noticed but for the last two weeks Sunita did our deals here while I was on vacation. It was actually quite a pleasure to take a break but Sunita said that she didn’t select many NA or erotic romances so I’ve got a couple for you today. This one is a popular NA. I haven’t read it but my understanding is that the sales of previous titles led to Jackson’s signing with a big 5 publisher. This is the first one of her series published by NAL.

This is another book which I’d mark as deep POV where you get a lot of internal angst by the characters but little external action and the reviews say that the storyline is essentially a big misunderstanding followed by a reunion. There is a second book to this series which is currently available.

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

The Physician By Noah GordonThe Physician by Noah Gordon. $ 1.99.

From the Jacket Copy:

Read by millions in thirty-two countries, soon to be a major motion picture, and voted “one of the ten most-beloved books of all time,” here is the first English-language digital edition of Noah Gordon’s masterwork

In eleventh-century London, a child holds the hand of his dying mother and is terrified, aware something is taking her. Orphaned and given to an itinerant barber-surgeon, Rob Cole becomes a fast-talking swindler, peddling a worthless medicine. But as he matures, his strange gift—an acute sensitivity to impending death—never leaves him, and he yearns to become a healer.

Arab madrassas are the only authentic medical schools, and he makes his perilous way to Persia. Christians are barred from Muslim schools, but claiming he is a Jew, he studies under the world’s most renowned physician, Avicenna. How the woman who is his great love struggles against her only rival—medicine—makes a riveting modern classic.

The Physician is the first book in Noah Gordon’s Dr. Robert Cole trilogy, which continues with Shaman and concludes with Matters of Choice.
A young orphan learns the ways of the poor in 11th-century disease-ridden England. As he travels across the country peddling cures to the sick, he discovers he has a real gift. Slowly, the dream of becoming a physician grows with him. From the author of Rabbi.

This sounds like a pretty fascinating and unique story. Library Journal says “Gordon has written an adventurous and inspiring tale of a quest for medical knowledge pursued in a violent world full of superstition and prejudice.”

AmazonBNKoboBook DepositoryAREApple Google

1. MaryK
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 14:30:21

“Because I’m a sucker for 99c sales and figure that someday someone might reference it and I might want to read it and now I have it. ”

HA! I only buy to read someday if I think I might like it. I’m a lesser hoarder than you!

[I can beat anybody in physical book hoarding though. :( Let's not talk about that.]

2. Phoebe Chase
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 14:30:42

I found this in a review of Seven Forges (reviewer is female FWIW):

What I like about the Sa’ba Taalor is that while they uphold equality among men and women (they’re all warriors), of men respecting women (rape is nonexistent), they are direct people. They don’t play in the art of lies and deceit (aka politics). They will tell you exactly how they feel or what they think when asked. But then more so when they want to mount or be mounted :ifyouknowwhatimean:, they don’t beat around the bush.

I’m intrigued enough to give it a go at $2.99.

3. Glittergirl
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 16:01:56

I miss the thumbnails for the books in today’s Deals post. I don’t know if it’s just my computer or if it’s a change… I shouldn’t be influenced by covers as to whether I’m interested in a book but I am and I miss them. Also your personal notes about the individual books have been posted in a colored (blue) highlighted box in the past. Today it’s just a little grayed. Again I miss the contrast with color to make it easier for me to pick out the personal notes and commentary. What can I say, I’m a very visual person…

Jun 03, 2014 @ 16:05:59

I’m not sure what happened. Pictures are supposed to appear next to the blurbs and the commentary is supposed to be in blue. A weird hiccup today.

5. Jo
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 16:32:25

Of course the only book I’m not interested in is on sale for me *sigh*
    The bright side is, my book budget will stretch that little bit further :-)

6. cleo
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 16:41:20

Welcome back Jane! And great job Sunita. It’s a lot of fun to see the differences in both of your comments and choices.

7. Jo
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 16:48:30

Oh yes, what cleo said. Nice to have you back Jane, I hope you enjoyed your time away and Sunita, you did a fabulous job, loved the commentary :-)

8. MaryK
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 18:06:56

If you’re interested in audiobooks, Blackstone Audio tweeted about a deal at Downpour, an audiobook store (which I know nothing about but assume is legit since Blackstone is an audio publisher). Karen Robards’ One Summer read by Anna Fields is $6.95. http://bit.ly/1lmmqbY

It’s a great Romantic Suspense book and the narrator is really good.

9. Julie M.
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 20:49:50

While looking at Downpour, I saw that 9 of Lois McMaster Bujold’s titles are on sale for $5.95.

10. Kaetrin
    Jun 03, 2014 @ 23:15:20

@MaryK: Yes, Downpour is legit. :) It’s Blackstone’s answer to Audible and they have some good sales from time to time too.

11. FD
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 07:16:22

@Phoebe Chase: So the comment you posted about the societal mores in Seven Forges actually interested me enough to go look (and how bloody horrible is it that something like that is so unusual as to immediately hook my attention? I used to read a lot of sf/f :( ) but it’s £5.50 in the UK and that’s way too high for an impulse new-to-me buy. I shall wait list.

12. msilk
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 08:58:48

Seven Forges is listed at $6.29 at Kobo but you can use SAV50 and get the deal. And they have a multiuse 40% code PERKOPOLIS too.

13. PeggyL
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 09:10:00

Hi @msilk! You beat me to posting about the 40% off code. And I’ve used the one-time 50% code *before* buying Wylde’s latest (which is quite pricey). Bummer!

14. MaryK
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 10:34:04

@PeggyL: Are you talking about Devil’s Game? I tried using it on Reaper’s Legacy and it wouldn’t work. Because it’s Penguin, I guess?

15. PeggyL
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 10:51:46

@MaryK: I bought DEVIL’S GAME using “PERKOPOLIS”. I also bought two more books using the same code not an hour ago.

16. MaryK
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 11:11:19

@PeggyL: I tried again. I was able to use PERKOPOLIS on a HQN book but it still won’t work on Reaper’s Legacy. *disgruntled*

17. PeggyL
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 11:13:09

Although it is a done deal (I’ve never returned a book bought), I just went back to compare prices between Kobo and Amazon re DEVIL’S GAME. Usually the former is more competitive – meaning, cheaper – but this time Amazon/Kindle is actually slightly cheaper than Kobo even after the discount (USD5.99 vs HKD46.61). This business of pricing is really mind-boggling.

18. K.L.
    Jun 04, 2014 @ 20:46:20

I’m really hooked on the daily deals format – I read the blue blurb before I read the plot summary. And it’s always fun, even if I don’t end up interested in the book. The fact that others also have a weakness for book sales is also comforting (I seriously need to make a book list/shelf/collection called Read This So You Can Claim Not to be an Ebook Hoarder!) Welcome back from vacation – let Sunita know she did a great job with the deals too!

19. Sunita
    Jun 05, 2014 @ 09:30:44

@K.L.: @cleo: @Jo: Thanks to all of you! I had a great time doing it, and yet I’m so glad Jane’s back. ;)