Daily Deals: A handful of classic Lindsey books

Secret Fire Johanna LindseySecret Fire by Johanna Lindsey. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

A master storyteller who spins romantic fiction like not other, Johanna Lindsey weaves together endearing characters, enthralling adventure and pulsating passion to create stories that touch the hearts of her readers.

Secret Fire

He’d caught only a glimpse of her from the window of his carriage, but the young prince knew he had to have her. Within minutes, Lady Katherine St. John was dragged from the London street and carried off to a sumptuous town house — for the pleasure of her royal admirer…

From the tempestuous passion of their first encounter, across stormy seas, to the golden splendor of palaces in Moscow, she was his prisoner — obsessed with rage toward her captor even as an all-consuming need made her his slave. Yet theirs was a fervor beyond her understanding, carrying them irrevocably toward final surrender to the power of undeniable love.

When a young Russian prince kidnaps Lady Katherine, his golden beauty turns into a captive tigress.ey travel the stormy seas, they draw ever closer toward an undeniable love. The product of an author with more than 17 million books in print, Johanna Lindsey’s fifteenth Avon original is being fetured in Romantic Times and Affaire de Coeur.

This title is one of my guiltiest pleasures ever. The heroine is this small, staid, old maid type who thinks she is no great beauty but catches the eye of the licentious Prince Dimitri. He dispatches his servant to obtain her services and the servant takes Dimtri’s order literally and drugs the reluctant Katherine with “beetle dust”, an aphrodisiac,  leading Dimtri to believe that the writhing wanton woman on his bed is a willing companion.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Savage Thunder Johanna LindseySavage Thunder by Johanna Lindsey. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Newly widowed after a shockingly brief marriage to an elderly British lord, Jocelyn Fleming still aches with the pain of unexplored desire. And now her restless heart is leading her far from the protective bosom of polite London society to the perilous beauty of the American West . . .and to Colt Thunder.

Breathlessly exciting but dangerously unpredictable, Colt is a loner whose Cheyenne blood burns hotter than the blistering Arizona sun. Jocelyn’s wealth and title mean nothing to this strange whose passion rules his actions and his heart. But neither the wild desert stallion nor the untouched English rose can deny their irresistible attraction. . .or prevent the firestorm of emotion that erupts when their vastly different worlds collide.

Voluptuous, red-haired Jocelyn Fleming is definitely not your typical English aristocrat. Rebellious against Victorian England’s fusty etiquette, Jocelyn wants to experience the unbridled spirit of the American frontier. But in the midst of peril with virile guide Colt Thunder, passion ignites under the hot Arizona sun! Fiery romance from the author of Defy Not the Heart. Original.

Colt Thunder is half Cheyenne and half white. His bloodlines make him unacceptable to both cultures. He’s convinced that no decent woman would want him but Jocelyn Fleming, the eccentric English Duchess, doesn’t understand his social status nor does she care. She only knows she wants him more than anything.

This book was preceded by “Brave the Wild Wind” and followed by “Angel.”

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

A Heart So Wild johanna lindsey A Heart So Wild by Johanna Lindsey. $1.99.

From Jacket Copy:

Courtney Harte is certain her missing father is a alive, lost somewhere deep in Indian territory. But she needs a guide to lead her safely through this dangerous, unfamiliar country, someone as wild and unpredictable as the land itself. And that man is the gunslinger they call Chandos.

Courtney fears this enigmatic loner whose dark secrets torture his soul, yet whose eyes, bluer than the frontier sky, enflame the innocent, determined lady with wanton desires. But on the treacherous path they have chosen they have no one to trust but each other–as shared perils to their lives and hearts unleash turbulent, unbridled, passions that only love can tame.

A Lindsey classic.

AmazonBNSonyKoboAREBook Depository

Warrior's Woman by Johanna Lindsey Warrior’s Woman by Johanna Lindsey. $1.99.

From Jacket Copy:

In the year 2139, fearless Tedra De Arr sets out to rescue her beleaguered planet Kystran from the savage rule of the evil Crad Ce Moerr. Experienced in combat but not in love, the beautiful, untouched Amazon flies with Martha, her wise-cracking, free-thinking computer, to a world where warriors reigns supreme—and into the arms of the one man she can never hope to vanquish: the bronzed barbarian Challen Ly-San-Ter. A magnificent creature of raw yet disciplined desires, the muscle-bound primitive succeeds where no puny Kystran male had before—igniting a raging fire within Tedra that must be extinguished before she can even think of saving her enslaved world. . .

A coup on her planet forces Security Guard Tedra to flee, and landing on a strange planet, she encounters and challenges an unbearable barbarian. No man has beaten her before, so when Tedra loses, she must become his slave–and soon bcomes a slave to desire as well!

One of the first space opera romances I remember reading.

AmazonBNSonyKoboAREBook Depository

1. Angela James
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:08:24

I love Warrior’s Woman so much.

Isn’t Secret Fire the one where the heroine is basically given what amounts to a date-rape drug that makes her super horny? Twice? I’m surprised you tolerate that!

Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:16:22

I have no rational explanation or excuse for enjoying these books.

I didn’t know much about dating or raping or date rape drugs at the time. Now? I think much of my enjoyment is nostalgic. But in Dmitri’s defense, it was his servant who drugged her the first time. he has no excuse for the second time

3. Angela James
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:24:35

To be clear, I’m not telling you that you can’t or shouldn’t enjoy them, just expressing my surprise!

4. Jaci Burton
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:25:32

I love classic Lindsey–so much. Buying all of these. Thanks for the links, Jane!

5. Tabs
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:45:27

I bought “Secret Fire,” “You Belong To Me,” and “A Gentle Feuding.”

Lindsey’s so addictive. Every time they go on sale, I pick up a few more.

6. Jayne
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:47:59

I will admit to reading and liking “Winter Fire” eons ago – I think that’s the title – with Vikings. More recently I enjoyed “Angel.”

7. Kati
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 14:51:50

OMG. I have such warm and guilty feelings for Lindsey. It always frustrated me that her heroes never give up the I love you until the last page or two. Which is the one where the heroine accuses the hero’s cat of farting in her face on purpose??

I may have to buy one or two of these. I always loved her Scottish set ones.

8. Isobel Carr
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:00:25

@Jayne: WINTER FIRE was the first romance I ever read. Loaned to me by a girlfriend who loved loved loved it. It put me off the genre for a decade (I fled back to SFF), but almost *cough*30*cough* years later, I can still remember the story in pretty vivid detail.

9. Jenny Lyn
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:10:32

I bet we’d be shocked to learn the number of girls who started reading romance novels thanks to Ms. Lindsey. I was one of them and at a very inappropriate age, much to my mother’s dismay. She should’ve hidden them better. I still find all those old covers beautiful. The Flame and the Flower was my favorite of hers.

10. Angela James
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:22:08

Omg, cat farting = Defy Not the Heart. I did a re-read of a small metric ton of Lindseys in the past year and was reminded how brutal and rapetastic some of her heroes were (by the way, when I was doing my re-read, on Twitter I described these old Lindsey books as rapetastic and got accused by someone of glorifying rape and saying it’s fantastic so I’ll clarify here that rapetastic means they are full of rape, many of them)

11. Juliana Stone
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:34:51

Wow, these books have such memories for me and remind me so much of my mother, who loved Lindsey and didn’t know I was pilerfing all these books from under her bed! Love, Love, Love. I shall have to purchase them all. Thanks for the links

12. Juliana Stone
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:36:43

@Jenny Lyn: Jenny I see our mothers were of a similar mind as were we! God the books I used to steal and read under the covers.

13. Reneesance
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 15:52:51

Oh god, Warrior’s Woman might still be in a box in my parents attic. I LOVED that book for no good reason. Ah youth.

14. Dabney
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 16:05:24

@Jenny Lyn: The Flame and the Flower is actually a Kathleen Woodiwiss book. I loved her when I was a teen. I just reread both TFatF and The Wolf and the Dove. Great guilty pleasure books!

15. Dabney
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 16:07:50

My favorite Lindsey is Prisoner of my Desire. The descriptions of the tiny heroine crack me up though.

16. Tabs
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 16:38:11

@Dabney: Prisoner of my Desire is my favorite too. And hoo boy do I get a lot of flack when I try to explain why I like it so much.

17. Dabney
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 16:52:39

@Tabs: I actually don’t think it’s that awful. I just re-read Sweet Savage Love. Lindsey is a walk in the safe no rapists park compared to Rosemary Rogers!

18. Gillyweed
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 16:56:47

“Half naked, with hair that flowed midway down his back, no, there was nothing tame about White Thunder” — lolololol! Johanna Lindsey is classic.

19. MrsJoseph
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 18:54:13

OMG! This brings back memories! I glommed Johanna Lindsey growing up, lol. I would buy a few…but I have some DTB copies of a few Lindseys on my shelves right now.

20. Ani Gonzalez
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 19:40:07

I loooooved Secret Fire. I still remember the aphrodisiac scene. Dimitri was quite put out because his midnight quickie was turning into a sex triathlon and he felt it would be too exhausting. He was quite the lazy aristocrat. Great book.

21. Jenny Lyn
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 20:14:50

@Dabney Of course! Gah, I read both Woodiwiss and Lindsey equally back in the day so I still get them confused. I need to reacquaint myself.

22. Bronwyn Jameson
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 21:33:56

Oh, Lordie, I wonder if these stack up against my teenage memories? I vividly recall intense love for Angel in his duster coat and for the panther. I bought this one instantly and am now dithering over half a dozen others. To buy or not to buy…

23. Shelley
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 21:49:22

Hooo boy! Lots of memories here! I am one also, who began reading the “bodice rippers”at a very inappropriate age (13) which also about the age I discovered Stephen King. Talk about inappropriate. Carrie was shelved in the children’s section at our public library and I was lucky enough to find it!

24. Amber Peart
    Dec 05, 2012 @ 22:16:14

Love hearing about vintage gems. I was a teenager in the Diana Gabaldon/Elizabeth Chadwick era so missed all these.

25. Dabney
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 06:17:00

@Shelley: I don’t think 13 was too young. In a way, I read about sex long before I had it–I read The Happy Hooker, The Joy of Sex,, Stephen King, Rosemary Rogers, Susan Issacs, Valley of the Dolls all when I was 13 and 14. It certainly gave me lots to consider and made me aware that sex could be a great thing, a scary thing, a varied thing. I’m very happy my parents never censored my reading. This was, of course, the mid 70′s and we lived in California, so, in general, things were pretty permissive.

26. Julia
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 07:17:26

I had to get the whole Russian series. I have been fondly thinking back on You Belong to Me recently so this sale was right up my alley. While I was at it I bought Once a Princess and Secret Fire… Lindsey is going to do me in!

27. Shelley
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 12:16:53

@Dabney: You’ve got a point because I did know way more about sex before I ever had it. Though I was raised in West Texas which was a tad more conservative than some other places, my mom never really censored my reading either. She gave me my first Harlequin, after all, so it was just a natural progression from there. When I was about 14, my Granny (yes, my little old Granny) left a copy of Last Tango in Paris laying around once and boy howdy, that was an eye opener! I thought she was going to have a cow when she figured out I was reading it! :O)

BTW…I did break down and buy Secret Fire. It may suck way more than I remember but at least it wont’ hurt my bank account so much.