Daily Deals: 5 deals with a rake name generator widget

The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright: (Originally published in the e-book anthology THREE WEDDINGS AND A MURDER)      by     Tessa Dare The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright by Tessa Dare. $.99.

From Jacket Copy:

Miss Eliza Cade is a lady in waiting. And waiting.

Because of a foolish mistake in her youth, she’s not allowed “out” in Society until her three older sisters are wed. But while she’s trying to be good, she keeps bumping elbows—and, more distressingly, lips—with notorious rake Harry Wright. Every moment she spends with him, she risks complete ruin.

The sensual passions he stirs in her are so wrong . . . but Eliza just can’t resist Mr. Wright.

This was originally published in an ebook anthology Three Weddings and a Murder. Dabney reviewed the anthology and gave Dare’s book an A.

This was my favorite tale of the four. Eighteen year old Eliza Cade is the youngest of four sisters. Eliza’s parents see her as their most troublesome daughter–due to a reputation wrecking choice she made as a young girl–and have refused to allow her to come out into society until her older three sisters are wed. Eliza chafes mightily under the limits imposed upon her. One night, at a ball hosted by her parents to announce one of her sisters’ engagements, Eliza is hiding out in her family’s morning room, peeking at the dancers through the keyhole, and gossiping with her sister. When her sister leaves the room, Eliza is mortified to realize there’s a man in the room, a man who’s heard all the embarrassing things she’s just said. When she realizes the man is none other than the scandalous Harry Wright–the sort of scoundrel no young lady should ever be caught alone with–she’s both appalled and enthralled. The two share a tantalizing conversation and make quite an impression on the other.

Dare and Avon have put together a rake name generator. Mine is The Diabolical Crafty Minty-Fresh Miss Litte.

AmazonBNSonyKoboAREBook Depository

The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions That Determine Personal Success      by     Andy AndrewsThe Traveler’s Gift by Andy Andrews. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Only a few months ago, he was a successful executive. Now he’s a desperate man. But a divine adventure is about to unfold. Join David Ponder on an incredible journey that will help you discover the Seven Decisions for Success.

In the tradition of best-selling books by Og Mandino, The Traveler’s Gift is destined to become a classic.

From PW “Although Andrews writes from a Christian perspective, his overall message (trust that God is sovereign, but do your part in making your future happen) will ring true with a broad spectrum of inspirational readers. Some astute thinkers may be put off by the simplistic story line, but Andrews does an exemplary job at providing positive suggestions for overcoming life’s obstacles. “

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

14      by     Peter Clines14 by Peter Clines. $ 2.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Chosen by Audible.com as the best sci-fi novel of 2012!

Padlocked doors. Strange light fixtures. Mutant cockroaches.

There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment.

Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn’t perfect, it’s livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don’t nag at him too much.

At least, not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela’s apartment. And Tim’s. And Veek’s.

Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends.

Or the end of everything…

Slow moving and no zombies but a huge great payoff says one reviewer. Another reviewer loved the story itself but felt the characters fell flat. A true science fiction book.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Master of Love by Catherine LaRocheMaster of Love by Catherine LaRoche. $ 1.99

From the Jacket Copy:

Available on eBook—a sexy historical romance featuring a genteel book dealer who is commissioned to organize an impressive personal library in the home of London’s most notoriously seductive lord.

Dominick Avery, Viscount Rexton, has a brilliant mind, yet is so intoxicatingly handsome no one ever takes him seriously as the philosopher he longs to be. He cultivates a wicked reputation as Lord Adonis, Master of Love, until his uncle sends him an irresistible bequest of books, on the condition he accept also the prim librarian who comes with them.

Miss Callista Higginbotham struggles to support her quirky household as a rare book dealer and librarian, while tottering on a dangerous edge of genteel poverty. But she quickly finds herself in greater danger yet, as her newfound desire flares for the infuriatingly flirtatious lord. Dominick wants nothing more than to unleash his luscious new librarian from her straight-laced propriety. He’s learned, however, never to trust desire—let alone the consuming passion that soon bedevils him.

Both must learn not to judge a book by its cover. But when Callista discovers a plot against Dominick’s life and risks all to save him, they both learn that love is the one lesson that cannot be learned from books…

Set in the Victorian era, this is a full length book published via Pocket’s digital first arm. There are almost no reviews for this book. Catherine LaRoche is the pen name for Catherine Roach. One reviewer who had mixed feelings about the book really enjoyed the heroine but found the hero to be a bit of a whiner.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

Roselynde      by     Roberta GellisRoselynde by Roberta Gellis. $ Free.

From the Jacket Copy:

Alinor Devaux, is beautiful and very rich. She is also an orphan, but her grandparents had not left her defenseless. She has been trained to manage her estates and to rule her vassals. But then the old king dies and Alinor becomes the ward of Richard Coeur de Lion. Alinor knows that her safety and the well-being of her precious lands rests on her ability to make her warden, Sir Simon Lemagne, her willing slave.

Sir Simon has known many women, but never one like Alinor. He is an easy victim. But Alinor tumbles into love. Soon Sir Simon is the only man she will take as a husband. But Simon is no suitable match-he is poor and has no political power. The king would make no profit by permitting Simon to marry Alinor. In their struggle to be united despite the obstacles in their path, Lady Alinor and Sir Simon are swept from the Royal Court in England into King Richard’s Crusade, through the king’s conquest of Cyprus and into the Holy Land. They endure bloody battles and heartrending separations before Simon convinces King Richard to allow their love fruition in marriage.

In an era made for men, Alinor–mistress of Roselynde–is at no man’s mercy. Then she meets Simon, the battle-scarred knight whose passion and wit match her own. Their struggle to be united against the political obstacles in their path sweeps them from the royal court to a daring crusade in the Holy Land.

One reviewer said “If readers don’t like this one, there is no pleasing anyone.” Same reviewer said to read these in order and this is the first book in a series set during the period of King Richard and Prince John.

Free at Amazon and All Romance eBooks. 40% off at Kobo Books with bargainmoose40

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

1. Rebecca
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 14:41:49

I’ll buy Dare’s book based on the name alone – though that may be different if it was full price ;)

2. Carrie G
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 15:17:50

“The Intriguing Crafty Well-Endowed Miss G” Well, huh! ;-) The novella looks like fun.

3. srs
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 15:32:33

I love Roberta Gellis and the Roselynde Chronicles are absolute classics. If you have even the slightest bit of interest in medievals, I strongly, strongly urge you to give this book a try.

4. The Devilish Immodest All-Knowing Miss T
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 15:47:04

aka Julia

Yup that name sounds about right… I may have to check this novella out. :D

5. Rosie
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 15:55:26

I adored the Dare novella. One of my favorite reads of the year.

6. Shelley
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 16:18:25

I couldn’t resist:

The Passionate Seductive Well-Coiffed Miss S

7. Joanna
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 16:19:33

Roberta Gellis spoiled me for other medieval romances, they are that good! I still remember buying this in paperback when it first came out and I read every one of the Roselynde chronicles

8. Muneera N.
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 16:28:58

I always end up buying books despite my big tbr list, and I have to say thank you. There are books and authors I may not have tried without these posts.

And the rake name generator is too funny.

The Troublesome Misguided Well-Dressed Miss Nasser

9. Carolyne
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 16:31:39

Mine is the Fiendish Racy Oft-Wrong Miss C. “Wrong” is right–I’ve had a helluva bad day, thanks to making a hideously wrongheaded move right before starting a new job. I should probably appreciate the irony of my generated name and buy the book (and go hide in a corner reading it).

Is it wrong that I’m thinking of how my horrible day might make for a set-up for a novel? “Woman humiliates herself before new boss, alienates entire company…” It’s a classic scenario. I’ll just add a vampire or some ancient Egyptians, and we’re good to go….

10. The Audacious Brazen Minty- Fresh Miss J
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 17:04:49

@Jane: We must third cousins twice removed.

Dec 11, 2012 @ 17:08:41

@The Audacious Brazen Minty- Fresh Miss J: The Audacious Brazen branch of the family totally ruined the family reunion last year when they brazenly and audaciously took off with dessert before any one else could reach the table. I also heard that AB Minty-Fresh Mr. Winsome was kissing The Diabolical Crafty Minty-Fresh Miss Frank behind the RV. Scandalous.

12. Sunny
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 17:54:35

I really enjoyed 14 and would highly recommend it — it was my first Peter Clines book and I’ve found myself enjoying his stuff quite a bit, but 14’s been the strongest so far.

Love, The Dangerous Improper Well-Coiffed Miss Sunny.

13. Serena
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 18:05:29

The Fascinating Depraved Well-Endowed Miss Daniels.

Well, goodness gracious, depraved and well-endowed? Why haven’t I been snatched up on the Marriage Mart yet? I’m sure my duke is waiting around the corner to de-virginize my corrupt and curvaceous self. :P

14. Dabney
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 18:41:04

Hmmmm…… using my grandmother’s maiden name:

The Villainous Brazen Eye-Catching Miss Wight

15. Dabney
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 18:42:49

@Rosie: I really liked it too and am now thinking I like it as much as I like several of the books on my best of list. I think its only flaw is that every flaw he has has a story.

16. Dabney
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 18:43:39

@Joanna: Is it as tragic as the description makes it sound?

17. Gina, book dragon
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 19:14:49

The Unsuitable Worldly Well-Read Miss Francis

I like the well-read part and I think I live the unsuitable ;-)

Will purchase Dare’s book based on the title too!

18. Shel
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 21:13:54

The fiendish sensual well-bred Miss S
    Thanks for posting :p

19. Little Red
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 21:36:15

The Iniquitous Naughty Well-Bred Miss Gupta *hee* I’m totally down with that. :)

That novel by LaRoche sounds promising.

20. JenM
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 22:11:20

Hmm, The Villainous, Wayward, No-count Miss Merry. Are they trying to tell me something?

I really liked the Tessa Dare story. Am also thrilled to have picked up the third Spindle Cove book at a bargain price last week, so I’m on a bit of a glom on her books at the moment. I just love her heroines.

21. Susan
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 23:34:35

The Passionate Debauched No-Count Miss X. My, I’m quite the little hussy, aren’t I?

Between the Christmas list and today’s deals, I added a bunch of new books to my already mammoth TBR pile. Um, thanks?

22. The Audacious Brazen Minty- Fresh Miss J
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 23:52:59

@Jane: Listen Missy I DID NOT eat that dessert!

@Susan: Best yet.

My husband is The Iniquitous Sensual Highly-Skilled Mr. M. I laughed so hard I knocked over the wine!

23. A.M.K.
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 02:35:35

Hm, is that anthology where Dare’s story first appeared unavailable now? I never got around to buying it…

24. The Iniquitous Shameless Cedar-Scented Miss Christensen
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 07:34:09

Yay for the Roberta Gellis. Her books are so hard to find as are good medieval romances.

I’m not sure how I feel about cedar-scented. That makes me feel like a hope chest…..

25. SandyH
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 08:36:39

If you haven’t read Roberta Gellis, you should! She is the author that pulled me into reading romances. I highly recommend the whole series. If you like strong heroines then Ailnor is perfect.

26. Carrie G
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 08:44:20

Cedar-scented? I guess you’re well-preserved and bug-free.

My husband’s new title: The Villainous Libertine Ill-Behaved Mr. G
    Which is about as far from him as possible! ;-)

I read the Tessa Dare story last night (I notice we’re all calling it the Tessa Dare story instead of typing out that long, outlandish title!) and I truly enjoyed it. I checked my goodreads’ shelf and this is the first thing I’ve read by this author. Hopefully that means I’ve found another historical author I enjoy.

27. Maura
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:08:15

Is the grammar on the jacket copy of the Gellis book representative of the grammar within?

28. Joanna
    Dec 12, 2012 @ 15:18:41

@Dabney: No it’s not that tragic, there is a HEA, but she doesn’t sugar coat the times (like some author’s do), life isn’t easy for anyone, even the rich and powerful. And I seem to remember a lot of politics – because these people are wealthy landowners they have to stay on the good side of the king and whoever else is more powerful than they are. I especially liked that the heroines are just as smart and play these power games as well as any man.