DA Weekly Deals: 29+ Books Under $2.99

New Update:
Jane has conned me into doing this list for her although she does all the formatting. “Find me 29+ books that are 2.99 and under from these publishers”, she asks. This is what I’ve come up with, over 70 books! She said I should ask you for feedback.

One caveat also, this list takes a lot of mindless work (Jane says its perfect for me?) and I would imagine that these prices could change at any hour/day or week. The only control we have is when we post the thread. Again, we appreciate your feedback.

All of the sale pricing was attained utilizing Amazon’s advanced search feature thus there is no guarantee that Kobo, Sony or Nook will employ the  same pricing.

Jane’s note: there are obviously more than 29 titles here but I wasn’t sure where to cut off the list.

Ned Litte

is Jane's long suffering husband who enjoys high fantasy novels and the occasional romance that Jane disguises as a fantasy book. He is also the photographer and artist of the multimedia reviews here at Dear Author.

1. Allie
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 10:10:00

I think this is a great idea, especially if you indicate which, if any, DA has reviewed/recommended. Was there supposed to be a list of books this time?

2. Sophia
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 10:10:06

A truly fantastic idea! Am very keen to see–and then buy–these titles.

3. Ned
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 10:13:18

We should have the list ready to go on Thursday, Friday at the latest. Thanks for your comments!

4. Carolyn Jewel
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 10:48:49

Great idea! I’m looking forward to it. But as already mentioned, a note about whether DA has reviewed and/or recommended would be very helpful.

5. Darlynne
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 10:50:58

B&N has their free Friday offerings, if that’s any help. They feature only one ebook, but if you wanted to spread the joy around, your list would be something to look forward to on a Thursday. I’m sure we would be thrilled to have it on any day. Am I correct in thinking this would be an on-going list?

And I second the idea of indicating any that might be DA recommendations. Even at $2.99, I hate wasting my money on bad books.

6. Lydia Storm
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 11:08:50

I would SO look forward to this list every week!

7. Ned
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 11:12:43

We won’t be able to signify which books have been reviewed this first go around, just getting the list prepared takes an incredible amount of mindless work! This may be something we consider doing in the future, it is a great idea.

8. Anthea Lawson
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 11:35:29

Yay Ned! Yay Jane! :)

9. Sweeney
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 11:58:53

I’m reading this post on my iPad so this may be the problem, but where are the links?! Thanks for this new weekly feature, I love it.

10. DS
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 12:05:36

Good idea. Looking forward to The List.

11. Rebecca WS
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 12:11:13

I love this idea! What a great idea and thanks for the hard work!

12. Evangeline Holland
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 12:53:01

I highly, highly, highly recommend Shadow Touch by Marjorie M. Liu.

13. Christine M.
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:03:39

Sweet list! Thanks Ned, thanks Jane!

14. Sophia
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:17:33

Three dozen cheers for Ned and his devotion to Jane! By any chance are you thinking of adding kindle $2.99 links as well? (hint, hint)

15. Ned
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:19:43

Not sure why the kindle links are not showing, we should have them soon.

16. Phillipa Ashley
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:20:20

Well, I can tell you one of them that has been reviewed. Dating Mr December (cough – by me) It got a B review. :)

17. Danielle D
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:38:43

OMG — Thank you so much!!!!

Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:56:31

Sorry about that. And Ms. Ashley, I’ll add a notation next to your deal.

One thing I should add is that the pre order prices will change as well. I’ve preordered for 1.99 and saw the price go up to 7.99 at the time of publication.

I think that publishers are trying to drive the title up the bestseller list in time for its debut. Once its on the bestseller list, discoverability will lend itself to sales.

19. MarieC
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 13:59:03

Sweet! Thanks for the list!

20. donna ann
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 14:12:04

thanks! it’s hard to keep up with what’s on sale and should be checked out. can’t hope this becomes a regular feature (except it made me spend money i wouldn’t have otherwise)

21. Ned
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 14:40:45

Just further clarification, all of the sale pricing was attained utilizing Amazon’s advanced search feature thus there is no guarantee that Kobo, Sony or Nook will employ the same pricing. Comments?

22. EGS
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:00:16

This is great, thank you!

23. JoannaV
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:15:56

This is great- Thanks! And though I feel bad asking for more, I would also love to see the information about the rating of a book here on DA if it is available!

24. mdegraffen
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:27:07

Thank you so much for this great service!

25. Lada
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 15:28:50

This is a fantastic idea and the hard work appreciated!! You work fast, Ned, since the list seems pretty complete with links and DA reviews already added. Thank you and Jane for doing the busy work for us!!

26. JenM
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 16:04:38

I’d seen most of these in various other places, but it’s fantastic to have them all in one list, so I can check them out at once. I’d highly recommend the two Jane Graves books, Hot Wheels and High Heels, and Tall Tales and Wedding Veils. They are both cute contemporary romances that feature normal working class heros – something that’s often hard to find amongst all the shipping tycoons, multi-millionaire businessmen, lawyers, doctors, etc.

Jun 22, 2011 @ 17:11:18

@JenM I’ve never read Jane Graves and I wondered if her books were more women’s fiction. But they are straight romances?

28. library addict
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 17:30:47

Thanks Ned and Jane.

29. Carin
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 17:32:48

I love this list! It would be great to see it as a regular feature. I follow Books on the Knob, but I don’t remember seeing these.

30. Merrian
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 20:38:22

Just clicked on your link for Shadow Touch @ Kobo (one of my favourite M. Liu books) and it is $6.49. I am in Australia so don’t know if that is the special high price they love charging Aussies or if there is a cheaper price only for USAians?

31. Tabitha
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 20:39:12

Thanks, Ned and Jane! You guys rock!

32. Knstrick
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 20:47:02

Wow, thanks for the great list!

I would like to recommend Surviving Passions by Maia Underwood. It’s a self-published romance for $.99 at Amazon (at least it was when I bought it).

33. Rosie
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:34:36

@Jane:

The two Jane Graves’ books above are straight contemp romances. I enjoyed both of them. Hot Wheels and High Heels features a rare heroine pushing 40. :)
    Thanks for this list! My only wish is that I hadn’t already bought several of them at higher prices.

34. MaryK
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 23:25:04

Thanks for doing all this mindless work. :) One reason I’m reluctant to go all ebook is because it would mean giving up used prices. I’m “frugal.” ;) At least when it comes to unit price, total spent on books is another matter.

I have a nitpicky comment. Is it possible to have the links open in a separate window? I forget to right click, close the Amazon page, and end up having to look up the DA post again.

35. Twenty Mystery Titles for $2.99 or Less | Yet Another Crime Fiction Blog
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 00:03:49

[...] deals are in place. These are all unaffiliated links. Jane of Dear Author did a list like this for romance titles so I thought it’d be fun to do one for mystery and suspense. It’s not as voluminous but [...]

36. Mikaela
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 01:14:59

@Merrian:
    I live in Sweden, and when I click on the Marjorie Liu link, it shows at price that’s over 6 dollar too :(. So the low price is probably North America only. Like always.

37. msaggie
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:18:16

Thanks so much, Ned and Jane! I just got Marjorie Liu’s in the Dark of Dreams – I didn’t know it had been discounted. I thought this book was published by one of the agency ones (and thus aren’t discounted). Anyway, I grabbed it before they changed it back to the normal price.

38. Ned
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:34:36

@Merrian: The sale prices were generated using the advance search at Amazon and specifically the Kindle format. We were hoping there would be consistent pricing or at the very least sale pricing across all formats/devices but it is not holding true. Other sites have poor search features thus we used Amazon. Thanks for the comment and we will look to improve the list as it matures.

39. Christine M.
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:43:14

@Mikaela:
    Actually they’re US only, not even North American prices. Canadian price for Marjorie Liu’s book in Kindle edition is… $9.13. This is why I didn’t buy a Kindle when I bought my ereader.

40. Ned
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:52:18

@MaryK: Not nit picky! We will program the list next week so when you click on the link it opens in a new tab/window

41. Ned
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 06:55:58

@Christine M.: Jane tells me this is an agency priced book thus Avon is deciding to discount it for us readers only. I never knew that price discrepancy existed like this.

42. Christine M.
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 07:40:17

@Ned: I’ve know for a long time…. a couple of years back all the free books for kindle were priced at least $2 or $3 for us Canadians. So I decided to go elsewhere. I do have the kindle reader app installed on my laptop, but I never spent a single penny on ebooks at Amazon.

43. Joanna V
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:42:43

Another two books to add to the above list – the first two books in Jamie Rush’s Offspring series A Perfect Darkness and Out of the Darkness are currently 2.99 on kindle. These appear to be romance/paranormal but I haven’t read them. I’ve noticed that sometimes publishers drop the price of the first one or two books in an ongoing series for a while – obviously to get us hooked.

44. JenM
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:35:21

@Jane:

Yes, the Jane Graves books are straight contemporary romance. They are fun without being slapstick or comedic yet still have that romantic intensity. Definitely not women’s fiction. She has a new book coming out in July and I’m really looking forward to it.

45. Ann G
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 20:52:01

This is a great idea to have a list of discounted e-books!

46. Merrian
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 23:08:20

Thanks Ned & Jane for putting this list together I am grateful for the thought and work you put into things for us. I hope that the publishers learn from you about not only what readers want but how we share information.

Just as a matter of interest Kobo will often have the same agency published book in different editions listed for (1) @ $6.99 and (2) @ $14.99. which I am thinking might be to do with whether it is an American or British edition but is is so bizarre to see because we all know which book will sell and which not. Karen Chance’s latest Pythia book is one example.

47. Lynnd
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 08:11:11

@Christine M.: I made the same decision regarding Kindle for these reasons. I looked at Shadowtouch and saw the $9.13 price and Kindle and wondered what kind of drugs they were on. Kobo has it for $7.99 plus tax, which is still ridiculous for a book that it is a re-release of an older book.

Books in Canada, whether print or digital, have typically been more expensive (for awhile digital books at Kobo were a bit cheaper, but that now seems to have stopped with the agency publishers books). For years we were told that the higher pricing was because the Canadian dollar was lower than the U.S. dollar; however, not much has changed once our dollar reached par with the U.S. dollar.

Jun 24, 2011 @ 08:26:38

@Merrian that is strange Merrian and kind of inexplicable.

49. shel
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 19:05:42

Thanks Ned & Jane, great idea.
    Don’t know if it’s still discounted in the US, but I liked YA historical The Agency: A Spy in the House by YS Lee, currently listed at $1.99 at Kobo for Canadians (other Candlewick titles also on sale). It’s got a romance arc and is the first book of the series.

50. DA Weekly Deals: 29+ Books Under $2.99 | Dear Author
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 20:05:00

[...] The sale list is not changing as quickly plus it is time consuming. Please check our previous 29+ books under $2.99 post, for many of them still have sale pricing. We will continue to try and hone this process and make it [...]