Daily Deals: Classic romances, suspense and a bit of non fiction

The Fallen by T. Jefferson ParkerThe Fallen by T. Jefferson Parker. $ .99

This is Parker’s 13th novel featuring San Diego homicide detective Robbie Brownlaw. The preceding book “California Girl” is also on sale for $1.99. It received a starred review and PW suggested that Parker could win a third Edgar for this book.

From the Jacket Copy:

A good cop, Robbie Brownlaw was thrown from a sixth-floor window of a downtown hotel and miraculously survived. The traumatic incident left Robbie with a fast-track career in the San Diego P.D.’s Homicide division . . . and a rare neurological condition that enables him to see people’s emotional words as colored shapes—green trapezoids of envy, red squares of deception . . .

Another good man lies dead in a blood-splattered Ford Explorer—an ex-cop-turned-ethics investigator whose private life was torn open by unthinkable tragedy. Whether Garrett Asplundh’s death was suicide or murder isn’t immediately apparent—but it’s soon clear to Robbie and his smart, tough partner, McKenzie Cortez, that Garrett had hard evidence of sex, scandal, and corruption spreading deep into local government. But pursuing the truth could prove more emotionally devastating than Robbie ever imagined.

AmazonBNSonyKobo

Untie My Heart by Judith IvoryUntie My Heart by Judith Ivory. $ 1.99

Untie My Heart was part of DA’s top 100 list of all time romances and the author Judith Ivory is one of the favorite romance authors of reviewers like Janet aka Robin, Jennie and Janine.

From the Jacket Copy:

Stuart Aysgarth, the new Viscount Mount Villiars, doesn’t know he’s playing with fire when he inadvertently runs afoul of Emma Hotchkiss. True, the exquisite Yorkshire lady is a mere sheep farmer, but she also guards a most colorful past that makes her only more appealing to the handsome, haunted lord. Emma has come to him seeking justice — and Stuart is determined that she will not leave until she has shared her secrets … and his bed. Her clever revenge scheme must fail in the face of his soft words and tender caress — and then he turns the tables on his bewitching adversary, seducing her into a daring deception of his own …

AmazonBNSonyKobo

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady by Kate Summerscale Mrs. Robinson’s Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady by Kate Summerscale. $1.99.

Reader Kim C emailed me this deal. It looks like it might be at Amazon only but as Kim notes, it might be an interesting (and inexpensive) non fiction book about the period.

From Jacket Copy:

“I think people marry far too much; it is such a lottery, and for a poor woman—bodily and morally the husband’s slave—a very doubtful happiness.” —Queen Victoria to her recently married daughter Vicky

Headstrong, high-spirited, and already widowed, Isabella Walker became Mrs. Henry Robinson at age 31 in 1844. Her first husband had died suddenly, leaving his estate to a son from a previous marriage, so she inherited nothing. A successful civil engineer, Henry moved them, by then with two sons, to Edinburgh’s elegant society in 1850. But Henry traveled often and was cold and remote when home, leaving Isabella to her fantasies.

No doubt thousands of Victorian women faced the same circumstances, but Isabella chose to record her innermost thoughts—and especially her infatuation with a married Dr. Edward Lane—in her diary. Over five years the entries mounted—passionate, sensual, suggestive. One fateful day in 1858 Henry chanced on the diary and, broaching its privacy, read Isabella’s intimate entries. Aghast at his wife’s perceived infidelity, Henry petitioned for divorce on the grounds of adultery. Until that year, divorce had been illegal in England, the marital bond being a cornerstone of English life. Their trial would be a cause celebre, threatening the foundations of Victorian society with the specter of “a new and disturbing figure: a middle class wife who was restless, unhappy, avid for arousal.” Her diary, read in court, was as explosive as Flaubert’s Madame Bovary, just published in France but considered too scandalous to be translated into English until the 1880s.

As she accomplished in her award-winning and bestselling The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, Kate Summerscale brilliantly recreates the Victorian world, chronicling in exquisite and compelling detail the life of Isabella Robinson, wherein the longings of a frustrated wife collided with a society clinging to rigid ideas about sanity, the boundaries of privacy, the institution of marriage, and female sexuality.

AmazonBNSonyKobo

Twenty Wishes Debbie MacomberTwenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. $1.99.

It’s the nook daily deal. Most of the time, Amazon will match this reduced price. The deal is good for today only. Most reviews say the book is a cute and fast read.

From Jacket Copy:

What do you want most in the world?

What Anne Marie Roche wants is to find happiness again. At thirty-eight, she’s childless, a recent widow, alone. She owns a successful bookstore on Seattle’s Blossom Street, but despite her accomplishments, there’s a feeling of emptiness.

On Valentine’s Day, Anne Marie and several other widows get together to celebrate?hope. They each begin a list of twenty wishes—things they always wanted to do but never did.

Anne Marie’s list includes learning to knit, falling in love again, doing good for someone else. When she volunteers at a local school, an eight-year-old girl named Ellen enters her life. It’s a relationship that becomes far more involving—and far more important—than Anne Marie had ever imagined

AmazonBNSonyKobo

Bonus at Amazon only:

The Proviso by Moriah Jovan. $Free.

Moriah is a member of the romance community who also happens to be an author. She’s been self publishing before self publishing was deemed a respectable business opportunity.

From Jacket Copy:

Knox Hilliard’s uncle killed his father to marry his mother and gain control of the family’s Fortune 100 company. Knox is set to inherit it on his 40th birthday, provided he has a wife and an heir.

Then, after his bride is murdered on their wedding day, Knox refuses to fulfill the proviso at all. When a brilliant law student catches his attention, he knows he must wait until after his 40th birthday to pursue her—but he may not be able to resist her that long.

Sebastian Taight, eccentric financier, steps between Knox and his uncle by initiating a hostile takeover. When Sebastian is appointed trustee of a company in receivership, he falls hard for its beautiful CEO. She has secrets that involve his uncle, but his secret could destroy any chance he has with her.

Giselle Cox exposed the affair that set her uncle’s plot in motion—twenty years ago. He’s burned Giselle’s bookstore and had her shot because it is she who holds his life in her hands. Then she runs into a much bigger problem: A man who takes her breath away, who can match and dominate her, whose soul is as scarred as his body.

Knox, Sebastian, and Giselle: Three cousins at war with an uncle who will stop at nothing to keep Knox’s inheritance. Never do they expect to find allies—and love—on the battlefield.

Amazon

1. evie
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 15:46:51

Untie My Heart is one of my favorite romances. My heart went pitter-pat just seeing the cover here in the listing. It’s got so much going for it– a fantastic heroine, sheep, con schemes, inexplicable chair sex, a crazy sexy hero… $1.99 is a steal for so much pleasure!

2. Estara
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 16:01:42

Not to mention that I came across her here via a mention by you and have been fascinated by her books ever since. Very passionate Mormons ^^.

3. Liz
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 16:26:50

I was on the fence about the new format for the daily deals, but I’ve really come to like it. I also like the mix of genres you’ve been including. I’ve grabbed two mysteries that I’m really excited about.
    I was wondering though- are you continuing to update the list on the deals and coupons page, or has that been entirely replaced?

4. Liz Mc2
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 17:45:54

Kate Summerscale’s last book (The Suspicions of Mr Whicher) was excellent. She can make a gripping narrative out of her historical research and blends an individual story with social/historical context really well. I loved it (though I should add Victorian detective fiction is a professional interest for me). Too bad this deal appears not to be available in Canada–but she’s worth full price.

5. Kris Bock
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 17:46:55

I just wanted to say thanks for the new format. I always found the long lists of deals intimidating. Unless I recognized an author’s name (rare, since I’m terrible with names), I wouldn’t follow up to learn more about the books. But since the new format, I’ve downloaded one title and marked a couple of others for possible follow-up later.

6. leslie
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 18:04:57

Moriah Jovan’s book is free for Prime members.

7. Brian
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 19:48:37

@leslie:

Moriah Jovan’s book is free for Prime members.

As of right now it’s free for everyone (at least US customers, not sure about surcharges, etc. elsewhere), not just Prime members. When books are only “free” for Prime members they are free to borrow only (which must be done through a Kindle device), not to buy/own like this one currently is. (note the free status can go away at any time depending on how long Ms. Jovan set the free period for, some authors have been doing only 24 hours at a time).

EDIT: I just checked her blog and the book is free through Tuesday after which the price will go back up.

8. Tina
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 19:59:37

Ok, it took me a minute because I am pretty sure that Debi Macomber does not write m/f/m threesome romances. It just looks as if her book seems to be attached to the wrong cover on the post.

Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:07:40

@Tina: On Tina. LOL. I need to change that.

@Liz: Yes, I’ve abandoned that page. It was too hard to keep up. I could keep a page that just had coupons though.

10. leslie
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:42:26

@Brian: Thanks!

11. Brian
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 00:45:09

code 070712 will get you 55% off books at Fictionwise (except for Samhain titles). Coupon is supposed to be good through July 9th, but usually works for a day or two after the expiration date.

12. gabrielle
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 01:26:04

I am really liking the new format because of the expanded descriptions. After reading the post I tried the Parker mystery with great success; happy to have found someone new with a backlist to keep me busy for a bit. Thanks!

13. Nicole
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 04:49:55

I loved The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. I felt immersed in the Victorian era whilst reading a fascinating story. While I do love historical romance, even the best researched ones always feel like fantasyland; it’s refreshing to read about real people for a change.

14. Luce
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 09:59:11

Add my name to the list of those who like the new format. Like any savvy reader out there, I’m always up for snatching a good book (or two or three…) at a great price. The previous list form, however, wasn’t too much of an enticement. I saw that there were obvious savings, of course. However, I found it to be too much to be clicking through each book in order to find out whether it’d be something I would be interested in reading.

Happily for me (and unhappily for my bank account), I’ve already bought a few books thanks to the more detailed format. :)

15. RachelT
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 11:51:41

I would like to say that Moriah Jovan’s Proviso is one of the very best books I have ever read. It is an excellent exciting story and beautifully presented – an example of just how high all self published books should aspire.

16. Julia
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 12:37:47

I just finished Mrs. Robinson’s Disgrace and thought that it was really well done. I am not one who normally reads non-fiction, but this read very… fictiony. It flowed brilliantly and it was nice to get a glimpse into the upper-middle class life in Victorian England/Scotland.

Add me in for liking the new format. I have spent way more then I had in the past buying up books for my Nook. I think it is the descriptions :) So thanks!

17. Susan
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 00:54:54

It appears that the. 99 sale price for The Fallen was short-lived (at least on Amazon) and it’s now 7.99.

18. Jen
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 09:01:58

Good books this week! I love Untie My Heart; I have a print copy but will get an e-book too.

Though when I checked B&N for Untie My Heart and Mrs. Robinson’s Disgrace, they were both full-price. I’ll look again later; maybe B&N is just slow to update them.

Thanks for the deals!