Chick lit, YA paranormal, Sherwood Smith sale, and a steampunk

810836Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell. $0.99

Jacket Copy

Tilly Cole impulsively accepts a job offer in a small town as a “Girl Friday.” But soon she finds herself in a hotbed of gossip, intrigue, and rampant rivalry for the town’s most desirable bachelor.

Today, eight books by Jill Mansell are on sale for .99

• Staying at Daisy’s
  • Millie’s Fling
  • To the Moon and Back
  • Perfect Timing
  • Miranda’s Big Mistake
  • Offer You Can’t Refuse
  • Take a Chance on Me
AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryAREApple

9781620610077_p0_v1_s260x420Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout. $0.99

Jacket Copy

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something?unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

This is the first book in a series and the most recent release ends in a big cliffhanger but I’ve heard really good things about this series so I’m buying it and hoping to collect the stories to read all at once when the conclusion is released.

AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple

sherwoodsmith-photobylynnglazer_200hSherwood Smith Special at BookViewCafe

One Week Only!

Through January 7, use coupon code SHERWOOD-50%OFF to get 50% off ANY or ALL of Sherwood’s single-author titles. (Only at the BookviewCafe)

Please note, the coupon does not apply to the Exordium books, written with Dave Trowbridge, or to the anthologies.

The books sold at BookViewCafe are DRM free and in multiple formats. I do not believe that there are any international restrictions either.

th_266c5b45c4d9a683814b996a112e864f_locke_godsavethequeenhcGod Save the Queen by Kate Locke. $2.99

Jacket Copy

Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist.

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic.

Kate Locke is the pseudonym for Kathryn Smith.  I’ve never read this series, but I have read one Kate Smith written steampunk which focused a lot on the gadgetry and very little on the “punk” aspect.
AmazonBNSonyKoboBook DepositoryApple

1. Brian
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 14:36:07

I assume the Sherwood Smith code is for Bookview Cafe?

Jan 03, 2013 @ 14:39:40

@Brian – yeah, sorry I didn’t make that more clear in the post.

3. DS
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 14:44:54

Sherwood Smith– the 1st the Exordium books, The Phoenix in Flight, is available for $.99 on Amazon.

4. Joanna
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 15:04:33

There are a total of 9 Jill Mansell titles on sale, so also Nadia Knows Best and Rumor Has It. It’s Sourcebooks 12 days of Christmas sale, each sale only lasts one day. The Cheryl Brooks titles yesterday were also part of it, and tomorrow it will be a different author with 10 titles on sale. I signed up for the email from their website and it’s been fun to try and guess who will be on sale next based on the little icons they assigned each day.

5. Tabitha
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 17:42:05

$0.99 is an awesome price for Obsidian! I just finished Opal, the 3rd and most recent release in the Lux series. I wish I had waited until closer to July to read it (for the next book’s release) because the cliffhanger ending is making me edgy.

6. hapax
    Jan 03, 2013 @ 20:52:00

@DS — PHOENIX IN FLIGHT is .99 at the Nook Store also, all the YAYS!

7. Kristen A.
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 17:17:26

I got an ARC of God Save the Queen and highly recommend it. I’m not sure it’s exactly steampunk, in that it’s set in the twenty-first century with Queen Victoria still alive, not the Victorian era. So it’s kind of steampunk in reverse, with elements of Victorian culture being kept alive by long lived vampire and werewolf aristocracy, not anachronistic technology injected into the 19th century, and it would probably appeal to fans of steampunk and modern urban fantasy. But I loved how thoroughly competent the heroine is. If she says she can handle something herself, she proceeds to go kick butt and take names and not need rescued, and her love interest the werewolf alpha is actually the sort of person who cares about his people and makes them want to follow him with only a bit of understandable cockiness. There is a twist that reveals the heroine to be a bit of a special snowflake, but the leads are so easy to root for that I don’t mind.

8. DS
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 18:53:13

@Kristen A.: You make Good Save the Queen sound interesting, but that is a god awful cover. I would never have taken a second look at it if I had seen it in a bookstore.

9. MaryK
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 19:41:22

The blurb for God Save the Queen isn’t very enticing either. I’ll check it out after that description though.

I couldn’t get the reply feature to work on my iPad.

10. Kristen A.
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 20:19:11

@MaryK:

Yes, the blurb sucks. If I can’t tell what century the book is set in, then the blurb sucks. I thought it was in the actual Victorian era until I got it. This book and I both lucked out when I got it through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer’s program, because I would never have read it if it hadn’t been a freebie, and then I wouldn’t have been plugging it in my library’s staff picks and generally pushing it whenever I have half an excuse.