DA/SBTB Bestseller List Ending Week of May 25

I find it highly ironic that Sarah and I both sold so many copies of Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase even though we criticized the cover. Such is the power of La Chase!

1. Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase
  2. Before the Witches: An Original Novella by Karina Cooper
  3. The Wind & the Sea by Marsha Canham
  4. Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison
  5. Christmas Magic on the Mountain by Melissa McClone
  6. The Countess’s Client by Alison Richardson
  7. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacClean
  8. The Birthday Present by Alison Richardson
  9. An Impolite Seduction by Alison Richardson
  10. The Search by Nora Roberts

1. becca
    May 30, 2011 @ 20:11:34

I’ve never read a Loretta Chase book before Captives of the Night, but I figured $2.99 for a new-to-me author was a good price, particularly since the book itself came so highly recommended – and I stayed up way too late reading it on my kindle…. and when it ended, I said “what? it’s over?”

covers are pretty immaterial on a Kindle book anyway.

May 30, 2011 @ 20:13:57

@becca: It is a lovely book and her summer release is even more delicious.

3. Ros
    May 31, 2011 @ 03:11:27

I agree that the cover is awful but for an established author like Chase and a re-release of a hard-to-get but much admired backlist book, I can’t see that the cover is going to dent her sales much at all. People are buying it because they are excited to be able to read it, not because the cover is intriguing (it isn’t).

4. Jayne
    May 31, 2011 @ 07:14:12

I”m tickled that Marsha Canham’s release is still holding in the top ten. I don’t think it’s dropped out since we started listing these books.

5. HellyBelly
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 05:08:54

I bought both no. 1 and 2 on the list based on recommendations here on DA. (I think the naff looking cover of the Chase book would annoy me more if it had not been an e-book.)

6. Janine
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 14:29:11

I’m thrilled to see Alison Richardson’s Countess Trilogy getting so much love, but curious what prompted those sales.

7. Estara
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 15:23:13

@Janine: There was a “what-happened-to-this-author?” post on Smart Bitches, I’m pretty sure that’s why people became aware of that trilogy again.

When I last checked they didn’t have any real answers to the question itself, though.