DA/SBTB Bestseller List

Week ending September 28, 2011

Ned Litte

is Jane's long suffering husband who enjoys high fantasy novels and the occasional romance that Jane disguises as a fantasy book. He is also the photographer and artist of the multimedia reviews here at Dear Author.

1. E.D. Walker
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 13:04:38

I loved the Linden short. Snapped me right out of the historical funk I’d been in.

2. Becca
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 14:18:12

I agree, the Linden novella was enough to get me to buy at least one of her backlist books, and I’ll maybe get some others too.

3. Maggie Robinson/Margaret Rowe
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 16:57:42

Make it three for Caroline Linden. Loved it.

4. Carin
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 20:05:23

You can get Unclaimed Courtney Milan for under $5 ($4.63, I think it worked out to) at Kobo using the code oct2romance20 (this expires after 10/2, today, but there are quite a few other kobo codes out there for 20% off). Nice deal!

5. eggs
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 21:39:14

I bought the Cassie Palmer series bundle and am on the last one now. It’s driving me nuts! Chance has great characters, fantastic world building, a Byzantine plot that makes you really want to know what happens next – and she wrecks the whole thing with page upon page of telling and backstory exposition! Arrrgh!

As you know, Jim, it really irritates the reader when we randomly pull them out of a crucial action scene to give them two pages of exposition, and then fling them back into the action as if it never happened. I have to keep flicking back pages to remind myself who’s involved in the action when the exposition ends. The characters and plot are WORTH the flicking, but it’s irritating as all fuck.

6. Tralalah
    Oct 02, 2011 @ 22:07:54

I’m with you on the Cassie Palmer series. And reading them all back to back just really highlights the problem. Still it’s enough to keep me reading just to find out what happens.

7. Carolyn
    Oct 03, 2011 @ 17:50:57

Re Cassie Palmer: I got the bundle too and couldn’t get through the first book. I was getting more and more pissed the further I read. I felt like I was being lectured to and my eyes wanted to close. And the situations she chose to insert her lectures-good grief! Oh, he’s strangling me, I can’t breathe…let me think about everything I know about wards for a minute. Bah!

I just didn’t care anymore.

I’d never read Palmer before, so that should teach me to buy an unknown-to-me author bundle. But I’d never read Deanna Rayburn either and never regretted making the Lady Julia Gray purchase.

I guess it’s all a crap shoot, you win some, you lose some.

8. Carolyn
    Oct 03, 2011 @ 17:52:56

That should be “I’ve never read Chance before”. You can tell the books impressed me. :-)

9. Christine M.
    Oct 03, 2011 @ 18:43:04

@eggs: @Tralalah: You might like the Dorina Basarab books better, I remember them being quite different from the Cassie books. But then I also loved the style in the Cassie books and since I’ve been hooked on the series since the first one, I never noticed the ‘problems’ you guys mentioned. But then again, I’m an easy reader to please, most of the time the ‘telling’ in a book doesn’t bother me.

10. eggs
    Oct 03, 2011 @ 19:25:48

@ChristineM: I’m hooked too, so I will definitely buy the 5th book – if it ever becomes available to Aussie readers on the kindle! The stories are worth it, even if the authorial style drives me bugfuck crazy.