Stanza, Calibre, the iTouch and the Mac
I had a reader email me because she couldn’t get Stanza Desktop to work with her iTouch nor could she get Calibre to work with Stanza. After much trial and error on her part, she got both to work. She gave me permission to share these results so that if anyone else was having problems, they might be able to reference her solution. Thanks Helen!
First, go to System Preferences -> Sharing and click on Personal Web Sharing to see the host name of your computer. You’ll need this when adding a catalog to Stanza
Stanza + Calibre
Stanza can access Calibre contents over the internet. You must set up Calibre to be a content server. This is done by accessing the “configure” option on Calibre (located by the little wrench on the upper right hand side).
On The Computer (these are for a Mac but the idea is the same for all ‘puters)
- In System Preference > Sharing > Firewall (should be on with everything selected in Advanced)
- Click “New”
- Set Port Name at “Other”
- Set TCP Port Number at 8080
- Enter Description “Stanza”
- In the Library, Click on “Shared Books”
- Tap Books in calibre (on NAME OF YOUR COMPUTER)
- Enter User name and password
- Tap “Submit”
Stanza + Stanza Desktop
- Go to system preferences > sharing > firewall >
- Click button ‘new’.
- Set the port name to ‘other’.
- Enter TCP port number 9562 and name Stanza (leave the UDP port number field blank).
Then OK it and Stanza should appear on the list (pointing to that entry will confirm the port number). If you need to, you can turn the Stanza port on your computer on or off using the Services tab.