Mar 12 2008
Karen Scott started reporting on this last week and at least one author has gone public. The complaints against New Concepts surprised me since it has been around since 1996 and the reported problems have been associated with newer epublishers. New Concepts publishes in both print and ebook formats.
The complaints include the following:
- Royalties paid late without corresponding tax documentation like a 1099
- Failure to give books edits.
- Favoritism toward certain authors.
- Site was down and NCP was non responsive.
- Customers complaining about lack of service.
- Authors not being informed of release dates.
- Hostile to complaints.
- Failing to live up to publicity promises such as sending out review copies.
- Refusal to get books taken off of websites once the rights were returned to the author.
- Evidences poor understanding of its own contract.
This is just an FYI for aspiring authors out there.