Jan 11 2009
There were no updates to the existing slate of ebook Readers on the market, but there were advances and new technology that was shown off at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show.
- A company called “Shortcovers” will be releasing an iPhone application designed to deliver short works to iPhone readers.
- Plastic Logic is working on its own version of an eink device. It’s set to sell in fall 2009 and runs Windows CE. You can read MS Lit on Windows CE along with almost every other format such as eReader, Mobi, and PDF. Running Windows CE might make a big difference.
- Samsung is developing an eink device called Papyrus but it doesn’t look like it is bringing anything new to the market. Via MobileRead.
- Microsoft is working on a flexible display technology that is like color eink. You can see 30 seconds about it in the CES keynote speech.
A couple other ebook related links.
- NY Times business section article suggests that Kindle is worth 9 billion in market capitalization for Amazon.
- Which may explain why Verizon is thinking about offering some kind of content + device + cell service for readers.
- Color eInk technology is making advances. (thanks GrowlyCub).