Feb 4 2009
- Stephen King laid the smackdown on Stephenie Meyer in an interview yesterday.
“Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”
The comments to the above post have turned into an awesome smackdown between the Meyer/King/Rowling fans with some embarrassing quotes of Meyer coming to the fore.
- Grace Draven explores the concept of covers. She calls it curb appeal which I think is a great analogy. A great cover of an upcoming book is Jory Strong’s Ghostland. I have also seen a propensity toward using the man’s shirt: Talk Me Down, Talk of the Town, and Smooth Talking Stranger. Or maybe it’s just books with “Talk” in the title that get the white man’s shirt.
- David Plouffe, Obama’s campaign manager, got a $2 million book deal. Too big? Just right?
- Women might not have liked the Teleflora ad, but the more mysognistic of the commercials were from GoDaddy. Christian sites, disgusted with the flesh peddling, are dropping the host provider. That’s okay, though, because we all know that the internet is for porn.
- Borders cut 16 executive positions. Borders is still a penny stock on the NYSE. Barnes and Noble is sitting pretty good. It has no debt and had only a 7.7% decline in holiday sales. [Thanks SB Sarah]