In the two year period between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012, 1.3 million individual titles have been purchased and that Amazon, BN, Apple and Sony account for 98% of all retail ebook sales. That leaves 2% to divide between Kobo, Smashwords, All Romance eBooks, and the like.
I’m not sure I agree with McIlroy’s final conclusion – that ebooks are having a significant role in reducing industry dominance by the largest publishers. He states that in 2004, the top 5 held 65.1% of the market. That large publishers supply only 8% of the ebook titles and achieve 50% of ebook sales doesn’t mean that their market dominance is declining, only that it has achieved 50% of the ebook market. What is their percentage of the print market? Is it lower than 65.1%? Higher? Looking at the publisher position in the marketplace without considering print component is looking at only half the picture and lends itself to faulty conclusions.Thad McIlroy – Future Of Publishing
Texas Man Arrested Over Overdue Library Book – In Texas, they do everything bigger including incarceration for tardy library patrons. A Texas man was booked into jail and then released for overdue GED study guide checked out in 2010. Harsh? GalleyCat
Book Map – Wondering what to buy that difficult person in your life? We are Dorothy has a BookMap wherein they’ve created a fake city with titles from your favorite books like “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” and “The CandleMass Road”. It’d be fun to do a challenge to read all the places on the map and pin it when you’ve read that place. We Are Dorothy sells all kind of kitschy unique items. Don’t know if they ship to the US though.Buzzfeed
Starbucks turns Twitter into the caffeine delivery system of the future – Facebook has gifts that you can give to other users based upon their “like” habits and now Starbucks brings the ability to tweet a Starbucks gift certificate of five dollars to your favorite Twitter personality. Sign up at the Starbucks website and you’ll be able to tweet gifts all day long or for as long as your wallet holds out. This is both ingenious and dangerous because as we all know, unless we have to type in our credit card or pull out our wallet we aren’t really spending money.Daily Dot
Jane Litte is the founder of Dear Author, a lawyer, and a lover of pencil skirts. She self publishes NA and contemporaries (and publishes with Berkley and Montlake) and spends her downtime reading romances and writing about them. Her TBR pile is much larger than the one shown in the picture and not as pretty.
You can reach Jane by email at jane @ dearauthor dot com