When Jane asked for lists of our “Best of 2012,” I got stuck on what best meant. Did it mean the best in terms of quality? The best in terms of most enjoyable? The best in terms of standouts? Did books I called best this year have to be as good as books I called best last year?
I’ve decided to define best as the books I enjoyed the most this year and liked enough to reread at least once.
I’ve listed them in order of preference–that was a challenge, but I feel some of these are better than others. Three are novellas–it’s been a good year for that form. The list includes historical romances, a twisted semi-mystery, contemporaries, and one erotica novella. I read no fantasy or YA this year to speak of–something I’d like to change in 2013.
- His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty review by me
- Suddenly You by Sarah Mayberry review by me
- Breath on Embers by Anne Calhoun (a novella) review by me
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn review by me
- At Your Pleasure by Meredith Duran review by me
- Ravishing the Heiress by Sherry Thomas review by Jane
- Her Best Worst Mistake by Sarah Mayberry review by me
- Room at the Inn by Ruthie Knox (a novella) review to come
- The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan (a novella) review by Jane
- A Different Kind of Forever by Dee Ernst review by me